The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The great battle of the 'sparkling devices'
Old 10th November 2002
Gear Addict

The great battle of the 'sparkling devices'

So, as a companion to the warmth-giving devices thread, I have a similar question - What do you reach for when you want to give a nice high-end sheen or sparkle to a track or mix?

I seem to have a pre-disposition towards using ribbon/tube mics, nice fat sounding pre-amps, the HEDD, etc but sometimes I feel somewhat at a loss for what to reach for when I want a modern female pop vocal for example.

So what are some devices, techniques, mics, plug-ins, whatever that you all reach for when you're looking for sparklies?
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Maniac

E.Q heh
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
E.Q heh
Yeah, yeah smarty! Which do you like - Oxford, Manley, Avalon, etc....

On a related note - has anyone played with some of the air/filter type settings on the KSP8? I keep forgetting about some of those.
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

Avalon 747...

CLM Dynamics db500

DEX tube EQ... local Australian MFG

Shep SN8

Quality tube lineamps that can run line levels inmputs to impart a degree of tube warmth.. eg.. Telefunkens, custom made lineamps or mic pres that can take a line level input.

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Addict

MCDSP MC2000 MC4
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

OH!!!!!!!!:eek:

Forgot U47 & AKG c12 & c12a/b & c24

I hear Brauners are meant to impart a fair degree of top end sparkle.

Have not heard ELAM so i cant comment but i hear from people OS..read not in Australia as i dont even know if one exists in OZ!

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 11th November 2002
One with big hooves

For mic-pres I'd have to say Daking and the OSA MP-1A. Those are on the bright side of things while the 1272, API, Calrec stuff is darker and thicker.
Old 11th November 2002
SawSlut

Howabout some well placed plywood?
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

Good C12's (big bottom as well as top!), Brauner VM-1's (very open) and Manley Gold Ref are my preferred choices for that pop sound, usually with an Avalon solid-state mic pre. I had some sucess with the (somewhat rightfully) maligned Sony 800G on a couple of occasions (R'n'B stacked vocals especially) and U-67's. The one time I used an ELA-M251E was freekin' unbelivable!!! grggt

I also used a touch of (watch out... ) NTI EQ3 air band a couple of times with nice results and, of course, my so far prefered all-around eq: the Addictive Massive!!! heh heh heh
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by CrazyBeast

Yeah, yeah smarty! Which do you like - Oxford, Manley, Avalon, etc....
hmmmm,
Manley Ref C
Daking Pre & Eq
Millennia NSEQ-2
Pultecs
Cut before you boost on plugins! Then use;
Aural Exciter or
Oxford or
Filterbank or
MC 2000

I´m not very fond of the air filter in the KSP-8. Try the TC 6000 instead with MD3. Really good sounding digital eq....
Old 11th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Neve Sucks!
E.Q heh
Yes?

As far as exciters or enhancers (Usually when I hear the buzzword "Sparkle", that's what people are refering to), the Dualfex and Ultrafex units are pretty cool. The Aural Exciter stuff from Aphex was pretty cool when it 1st came out, but people overused it, and didn't seem to consider how much tape hiss they were exciting.
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue

Yes?

As far as exciters or enhancers (Usually when I hear the buzzword "Sparkle", that's what people are refering to),
Yeah, that's kind of where I was headed, or for eq's that were especially good at adding that high-end sheen.

I'm sort of surprised to see the Daking popping up in so many threads lately. Never seemed to hear much about it before.

Quote:
[/B]the Dualfex and Ultrafex units are pretty cool. [/B]
Who makes these? Haven't heard of em.
Old 11th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Massive Passive - doesn't really do "sparkle" (a term which describes glittery, small particles floating in air, if you will). It does what I'm starting to call (from now on) a "living sheen" (sheen, in this example: glow, like a hot naked woman emerging from a lake at night with her body glowing from bioluminescence).

You don't even have to boost any eq. Just engage in EQ in switches = living sheen. You have to say "living sheen" like you're Capt. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise though, or people get the wrong idea...
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Addict

"...a hot naked woman emerging from a lake at night with her body glowing from bioluminescence."

You could make some money off a machine like that.
Old 11th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Massive Passive - doesn't really do "sparkle" (a term which describes glittery, small particles floating in air, if you will). It does what I'm starting to call (from now on) a "living sheen" (sheen, in this example: glow, like a hot naked woman emerging from a lake at night with her body glowing from bioluminescence).

You don't even have to boost any eq. Just engage in EQ in switches = living sheen. You have to say "living sheen" like you're Capt. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise though, or people get the wrong idea...
The Massive seemed sexy anyway, and now you had to get all naked and glowing on me! Figures it would be a ~$4k piece of kit that gets the nod. I guess I'll just have to find me a BBE and convince myself it's the ****.
Old 12th November 2002
I've tried all these (*) and like em for 'sparkle':

* Massive Passive
* GML 8200
* Sony Oxford Plug in GML option
* Focusrite 315
* NTI "AirBand" EQ
* Neuman Mastering EQ
* Pultec (hardware & plug in)
* EAR

I would love to try these:

Cranesong Ibis
Masselec / Sonatec
Z-Sys / Weiss / Junger - digital EQ's
Waves Masters - Plug in EQ
Avalon
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:

Who makes these? Haven't heard of em.
*gulp* Behringer... I swear, they really do sound good. Esspecially on steel stringed ac guitar, harpsicords, hit hats, etc.
Old 12th November 2002
Gear Addict

Re: The great battle of the 'sparkling devices'

Quote:
So what are some devices, techniques, mics, plug-ins, whatever that you all reach for when you're looking for sparklies?
Hard to beat a LANG PEQ-2. That 15 & 20kHz boost is some of the classiest, sweet sounding high frequency EQ I've ever heard.

Just don't tell anyone I told ya, okay? tut

Mark
Old 12th November 2002
Lives for gear

Avalon 2055 High shelving (sometimes up around 20k)
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
(sheen, in this example: glow, like a hot naked woman emerging from a lake at night with her body glowing from bioluminescence).

WTF?
What late night movies are you watching?:eek:
Old 13th November 2002
no ssl yet
I think you guys just talked me into keeping my NTI EQ3 I was considering selling. Nothin else does it on sparkle like the air band
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

Jules . . do u have a NTI "Air Band"? I hear different things about them. I have heard people rave about them . . . . then I hear people say they don't do anything. Those that rave about them . . . . . REALLY like what they do for the top end.
Old 13th November 2002
I have an NTI Preq3 which is their 4 x mic pre's with AirBand HF (only) EQ on it.

It's simply a rather savage "scaple like" or 'cutting' HF boost.

Beloved of R&B folks I belive...

I got mine in a distributer sale...

Hardly ever use it these days..

But the actual EQ unit (mantioned above) would be cool to own IMHO - Madonna uses one..... That is a 'Sheen Machine' fo sho! (or so I have been told)

Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

It is fer sure... I don't use it much these days since everybody is asking me for a "sampled off an old vinyl" sound... It comes in handy once in a while. Mostly for female R'n'B singers or Sarah McLaughlan types. Anyway for what it's worth on the used market, it's better to keep it in the rack... How's that for a good reason to use it!
Old 13th November 2002
Lives for gear

i believe this family includes the SPL Vitalizers..Aphex..or the Hofex...would like to know what you guys like
Old 13th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
oost.

Beloved of R&B folks I belive...

The "airy" R&B vocals these days you hear on records, aren't done with the air band in the NTI, but with the right comp/EQ combination while mixing. I think the right compressor is more important than the EQ. Most lead vocals are put together on a couple of faders anyway, so you can do an elaborate "hi fi/lo fi" sidechain.
Old 13th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by drundall

WTF?
What late night movies are you watching?:eek:
Some get it. Some don't.

Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

Distressors get the SPARKLE well on many things, includeing 2 buss mix over here!
Old 16th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

To BBE or not to BBE?
Everyone "knows" these rule!
At least in home studios...

Motown engineers used what was called the "exciting compressor" technique (no kidding).
If Bob Ollhson doesn't beat me to explaining it, I'll look up the link
for you guys if you're curious about it.

Chris
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

There's also the old standby trick of encoding without decoding with a Dolby card. BTW, do any of you use BSS DPR-901's on vocals? Pretty useful box. Kinda like a Urei LA-22 on steroids...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search