The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Creative Mind - Editing Mind - Simplify
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Creative Mind - Editing Mind - Simplify

There's was a recent article by Steve Hillier in Future Music that gave some pointers on how to simplify your recording process and how to go about "keeping it pure". He writes about separating the creative mind and the editing mind. It goes a bit deeper than "too many options means nothing gets decided", though that is the gist of the article.

One of the examples given on how to re-focus on what being an engineer/producer means was to
Quote:
"Get rid of equipment you don't use... Streamline your set of sound sources to include only the instruments that actually sound good. Be ruthless."
This sounds right to me, and probably explains why my initial roughs sound best to my ears, even though I often try to "improve" them with pug-ins and tricks. I'm starting to think that a wall of guitars, a closet full of pedals , racks of mic pres, dozens of microphones, harddrives crammed with plug-ins and a hallway full of guitar amps is not necessarily the way to go. Not that there is anything wrong with having a full spice rack, but where is the line...?

Hillier thinks the abundance of options is not a good thing.:
Quote:
"I think it slows down the art of writing and recording by a factor of ten. I think it interferes with the creative process, and distracts and confuses people".
What do you think?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search