The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
"flock of seagulls" vocal processor?
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

"flock of seagulls" vocal processor?

anybody know what vocal processor was used by "flock of seagulls"?
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Nut

I don't know, but good question. I just recently revisited their first 2 records and they really sound terrific. Mike Score totally bit as a singer, too (as can be attested to by listening to any live recording) so it was no mean feat to get such rich sounding vox on those records, I'm sure. I really love AFOS. Their songs are a study in effective simplicity.
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Addict

i just had a similar experience, i was listeneing to the FOS "platinum & gold" comp and thinking it had to be the processing that made him sound so great, anybody got any ideas?
Old 28th September 2007
I just want to know how they got their hair to do that...

heh
Old 28th September 2007
Captain

With "A Flock of seagulls " , we just used a 87 for Mikes vocals and most of the effects on his vocals was the old Delta T Delay , and 910 Harmonizer , that was sooo many years ago and I was just a kid when we did those records , so don't give me toooo much **** for working on them !!!! Actually , hair aside !!!, they were fun records to make.
Peace
Shipshape
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
With "A Flock of seagulls " , we just used a 87 for Mikes vocals and most of the effects on his vocals was the old Delta T Delay , and 910 Harmonizer , that was sooo many years ago and I was just a kid when we did those records , so don't give me toooo much **** for working on them !!!! Actually , hair aside !!!, they were fun records to make.
Peace
Shipshape
Indeed - really great stuff!
Old 28th September 2007
One with big hooves

How did ya'll arrive at the combination of vocal effects? It's such an interesting & identifible tone. Was it something that was cooked up in demos or was there some experimentation done to arrive there?

FWIW... I was gonna' insert a Flock of Seagulls "hair processor" joke but ehhh...

Old 28th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipshape View Post
Peace
Shipshape
Oh hey, I have a question! I always loved that little stick click, right before Space Age Love Song. It has this weird kind of aliased reverb tail on it - what is that? It sounds like that's what on the snare drum too.

You know, now that I think of it, I REALLY love how that record sounds.
Old 28th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by edit machine View Post
i just had a similar experience, i was listeneing to the FOS "platinum & gold" comp and thinking it had to be the processing that made him sound so great, anybody got any ideas?
It's true. I've got a large batch of live tapes from back then and, bless his heart, Mike Score sounds bloody awful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search