The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Important!!! Where do you find new music???
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Nut

Important!!! Where do you find new music???

Hi.
Lately everybody is saying there are no filters in the current music business, and too much musical product.
I like indie, alternative, experimental music. New bands or artists with a fresh, original sound.
I want to know where do you find new music.

Personally, I seek artists through Amazon.com, but i dont usually find too much good stuff.
There are musical magazines, with album reviews, like PASTE, and WIRE from UK. I really like Wire, but have never read PASTE. I'm outside US. Is Paste a good choice?
I know of internet services like Pandora, Rhapsody and Satellite Radio, they are good, but i'm outside US, so I can't use those services.

My question is, which is your filter??? Where do you find specialized reviews?? Where do you find about new, good, exciting music??? (i'm a positive person, and I really think good new music does exists )
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Hi.
Lately everybody is saying there are no filters in the current music business, and too much musical product.
I like indie, alternative, experimental music. New bands or artists with a fresh, original sound.
I want to know where do you find new music.

Personally, I seek artists through Amazon.com, but i dont usually find too much good stuff.
There are musical magazines, with album reviews, like PASTE, and WIRE from UK. I really like Wire, but have never read PASTE. I'm outside US. Is Paste a good choice?
I know of internet services like Pandora, Rhapsody and Satellite Radio, they are good, but i'm outside US, so I can't use those services.

My question is, which is your filter??? Where do you find specialized reviews?? Where do you find about new, good, exciting music??? (i'm a positive person, and I really think good new music does exists )

www.woozyfly.com

The site will launch soon. Check out the preiviews.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Nut

http://www.last.fm

or whatever that pandora website is

or friends

or wikipedia

or a particular band's myspace and following links to other bands until i find a good one.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Guru

A good question, between local talent and being turned on to a big city artist i had some new music at hand, if thats not enough, i go to local music store and listen to underground bands ive never heard of and listen on the headphone station, some i put back and a lot i leave with and still enjoing them today.
There is a great band out right now, they just released their 2nd CD, do a google search Ingram Hill Band, look and listen at there myspace page, i saw these guys open for Jonny Lang, great new music. Ingram Hill. MySpace.com - Ingram Hill - Memphis, Tennessee - Rock / Pop / Alternative - www.myspace.com/ingramhill
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

one word PANDORA

create stations based on known liked music and it uses 400 parameters to find like kind music both old and new
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

For more indie, experimental, etc. styles of music, you can check out a couple good online vendors.

Aquarius Records get into tons of cool and obscure music, and delve into some very fringe stuff...and just about everything you'll find in the Wire. They also have really good reviews from the music-obsessed staff and several sound clips for just about everything; [ Aquarius Records ]

Forced Exposure is another good source. At the very least, these sites can keep you abreast of what's happening in the music scene.Forced Exposure Home

I haven't looked at the site in awhile, but Parasol records was a good source for straigt up indie rock; http://www.parasol.com

Another site I haven't frequented in awhile, but always thought was awesome was Dusty Groove; Dusty Groove America - Home Page - Jazz, Soul, Funk, Hip Hop, Brazil, Latin, and more on LP and CD This one's kind of off topic, but I just happened to think about them. They are a great source for groove oriented stuff....soul jazz, afrobeat, some electronic stuff, samba, tropicalia, etc.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

i go to my local record store and say " Hey, what should i buy today!" they sell me something,
i like it 80% of the time...
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Nut

magazines ...

There is still a big place for music magazines -- online, and otherwise

I set aside a day a month to just veg out, read up, and check out mp3s for each of the bands mentioned / panned / plugged, whatever.

Honestly, the cream does rise to the top.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

to be more specific, why not check out K and morr music berlin. both have ace electro-indie-alt artists. you may already be very familiar with them of course, but i often find a record label site a good starting point as they link to all sorts of related music and events.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Friend's record collections

Readign (favourite) artist interviews and check out the bands they mention!

</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <style type="text/css"> </style> </head> <body bgcolor="292929" text="d6d6d6" link="d6d6d6" vlink="d6d6d6" alink="d6d6d6"> <table width="800" border="0" align="center" has been quite good source for new indie rock and electronic stuff.

And ofcourse GIGS!

-Tomi
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaias View Post

And ofcourse GIGS!

-Tomi
I don't know how it is in Finland, but folks in the States seem to be spending less and less time listening to new acts at gigs. Most of the time, they've already downloaded all of their songs, read about every single member of the band, and have already formed an opinion.
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Head

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/

Their reviews can be a little harsh but its a great place to find out whats going on in the indie world.
Old 25th September 2007
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear
if you've got itunes or winamp installed, they've got pretty good internet radio browsers that'll provide a nice balance of what's going on around the world in several genres.

there's an internet radio empire called "1.fm" that has stations in a variety of genres. i'm mostly into using radio for electronic music, and have found their club and dance stations to be very good (they play mixes, but also play lots of full-length tracks *with the artist and song IDs* so it's very value-added listening).
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

New music just come to me. Friends, enemies (always listen to stuff that people you don't like hate) and clairvoyance. Probably the most important way for me is through music history research.
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

going to live shows of bands i've never heard before or bands that are recommended by friends. friends/word of mouth is probably where i find out about the most new music or older stuff i'd never heard of.

bleep.com

boomkat.com

forcedexposure.com

the wire magazine

THE WIRE - ADVENTURES IN MODERN MUSIC

and of course my local indie record store

http://www.anthemrecordsinc.com/
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Maniac

1. friends

2. live shows

3. i create it myself
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Indie music videos featured on youtube.

Late Night w/Conan O'Brien.

I browse through iTunes to listen to short clips of various bands.

I also like GarageBand.com : GarageBand.com
Old 25th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthaakp View Post
Home: Pitchfork

Their reviews can be a little harsh but its a great place to find out whats going on in the indie world.
Pitchfork Gives Music 6.8 | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

i've found some great indie bands on CBC Radio 3's myspace. lots of cool stuff from Montreal to Vancouver.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

I discover new music on Myspace and Youtube, and buy CDs at Borders. Lately, Brandi Carlile has been the big find ..she's best.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Word of mouth. I go to web forums of certain artists. Usually fan page MB's. Or small record company MB's. Often times we like the same stuff that I never heard of.

Yeah, boomkat.com is great.
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

I check out what labels are putting out my favorite bands and then see what else they offer. You'd be surprised at all the great indie labels offering up quality product these days. Myspace has become too hit and miss... you can surf for hours and not find too much decent stuff... sometimes there's a diamond in the rough though.

These are my most reliable internet sources.

Insound.com: Online Indie Store Selling CDs, Vinyl, LPs, MP3s, Band Posters and T-Shirts
CBC Radio 3: Breaking New Sound
Home: Pitchfork
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hey, thanks everyone.

That CBC Radio 3 is a good web radio.

Does anybody know other good indie/new music internet radios???

Cheers
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thrill Jockey.com and used record bins.
Old 26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

slacker

disclaimer: I work with this company

For free new music with nice band bios check out Slacker Personal Radio - Listen to Free Radio Stations -

Either start by typing in a band you like or hit one of their pre-programmed stations. You can customize it to your taste. I've been discovering a lot of new sounds - nice to get some fresh tunes.

lD
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Maniac

95% of the time it's from friends but the other times its a small percentage of online like the occasional trip to last.fm etc...
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
There is a great band out right now, they just released their 2nd CD, do a google search Ingram Hill Band, look and listen at there myspace page, i saw these guys open for Jonny Lang, great new music. Ingram Hill. MySpace.com - Ingram Hill - Memphis, Tennessee - Rock / Pop / Alternative - www.myspace.com/ingramhill
Out right now? These guys have been going at it for well over 7 or years. I played a show with them like 5 years ago or so. I most say these guys are HARD WORKING to the bone. heh
Sorry to get OT.

Glenn

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search