The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is a convertor my best choice for ADAT to 002R?
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Nut

Is a convertor my best choice for ADAT to 002R?

I have an Digi002R (ProTools). I recently began tracking drums. I have purchased several nice Pres for this effort. I now have a Vintech 473 / Vintech 1272 / Avalon 737 and Focusrite pres to choose from. The interface of an 002R has 4 inputs with built in Pres (not very useable and not bypassable), 4 inputs for any use, 8 inputs via ADAT in and 2 inputs via SPDIF.

I need to be able to run the external pres into the 002R via the ADAT and think my best choice at this time would be to buy an Apogee 800, Lynx, or equal 8 input convertor that has the ADAT output?

Or is there a better way to use good pres through the ADAT input of the 002R. Also, if I get a good convertor and run it into the 002R via ADAT, is the convertors inside of the 002R interfering or over riding the conversion of say an Apogee?

Thanks in Advance.

Ross Hancock
Baltimore MD
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

You can use 8 channels without using the lightpipe.

The pres on the 002 aren't fully bypassed when using the line-in, but if you aren't adding any gain at the 002, you aren't adding any color or noise from the 002.

I would just use the pres into the 8 inputs on the 002 and then I would pick up an Apogee and compare that to my previous effort.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Addict

The 002 converters are far less than special...getting a good 8 channel conversion box so you can us the ADAT as you mentioned is going to get you the best results.

If you're using the ADAT inputs, you're sending a digital signal into the 002, so the 002 converters aren't involved in any way.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

I just can't believe the amount of people that buy high-end gear before they know how to even use it or how conversion works.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

get a rosetta...not only will you be improving greatly over the 002r's A/D, but you'll also have much more accurate monitoring if you use the D/A outs from the Rosetta with some kind of gain controller (preferably passive). The monitoring on the 002 is okay, but the Rosetta will take you to the next level.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

SSL Alphalink is also not a bad ADAT converter, not too expensive either!

Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

I also think you should get an 8 channell converter, you will notice a great improvement and take advantage of your better gear.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Tramp View Post
I just can't believe the amount of people that buy high-end gear before they know how to even use it or how conversion works.
Chances are you don't know everything about how your car works, yet I bet you bought the best one you could afford. Nobody knows how to use any gear until they learn it...might as well learn with good quality gear.

I definitely advocate learning the fundamentals, but I don't see any benefit to learning on lower quality gear if you have the means to do otherwise.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropblacksky View Post
Chances are you don't know everything about how your car works, yet I bet you bought the best one you could afford. Nobody knows how to use any gear until they learn it...might as well learn with good quality gear.
Oh God, not the flippin' CAR ANALOGY.

Is there ANYTHING that doesn't end up having a car analogy thrown at it?

I wouldn't buy a nitrous tank for my geo metro unless I knew how the hell it worked. Now the analogy seems to be in my favor! Bwahaha!
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Tramp View Post
Oh God, not the flippin' CAR ANALOGY.

Is there ANYTHING that doesn't end up having a car analogy thrown at it?

I wouldn't buy a nitrous tank for my geo metro unless I knew how the hell it worked. Now the analogy seems to be in my favor! Bwahaha!

You would if you wanted to impress chicks and earn street cred by having the fastest and most furious Metro around...
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Nut

Gear Tramp...I understand how high end gear works...thats why I have purchased it. However, I have not yet made the leap to PT HD where I will purchase hardware that is specific to the task at hand...dedicated I/O etc. However until then I want to continue to use the 002R which has served me well up until now. However I admit and hence my question, that I know nothing about the design of the 002 and I am not sure how it is built and if I can bypass convertors and pres.

I won't use a car analogy but a computer one. Many many years ago I bought a computer and the soundcard that came with it was directly mounted to the motherboard and could not be bypassed. I was trying to improve upon something I already owned and went and bought a soundcard that couldn't be used. This is an example of where I know what to do, but just wanted to be sure I wasn't going down a path with the 002 that wouldn't work.

I do appreciate you response regarding the pres. I had heard otherwise but I will take your word for it and try them. I will however be purchasing an 8 channel convertor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search