The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adding FX in the Mix
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Adding FX in the Mix

I'm relatively new, and somewhat slow learning, to sound design and engineering.

I've been getting a handle on gain staging, mic placement, and how EQ affects the tone of the signal.

I'm getting to the point where I'm learning to add depth and effects to my signal.

I haven't seen engineers work before and was wondering if effects are ever added in the tracking stage or only in the mixing stage. I imagine it varies a good bit depending on the situation, but is there a typical routine that tends to be the most efficient in terms of process?

Like delays and such. You'd really have to plan the performance ahead of time if you plan on adding the delay in the mix. Is that how it's ocmmonly done?
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
I'm relatively new, and somewhat slow learning, to sound design and engineering.

I've been getting a handle on gain staging, mic placement, and how EQ affects the tone of the signal.

I'm getting to the point where I'm learning to add depth and effects to my signal.

I haven't seen engineers work before and was wondering if effects are ever added in the tracking stage or only in the mixing stage. I imagine it varies a good bit depending on the situation, but is there a typical routine that tends to be the most efficient in terms of process?

Like delays and such. You'd really have to plan the performance ahead of time if you plan on adding the delay in the mix. Is that how it's ocmmonly done?
Yes. Effects such as delay and reverb are added in the mix. Exceptions could be guitarists (or other instruments) where the effect is part of the "tone" or maybe special effects...but opinions and techniques vary. Otherwise, always added later in the mix. In a real studio, effects can be added in the monitor path so the musician can hear the effect while tracking, without actually committing it to tape.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropblacksky View Post
Yes. Effects such as delay and reverb are added in the mix. Exceptions could be guitarists (or other instruments) where the effect is part of the "tone" or maybe special effects...but opinions and techniques vary. Otherwise, always added later in the mix. In a real studio, effects can be added in the monitor path so the musician can hear the effect while tracking, without actually committing it to tape.
Cool, thanks for the feedback. I'll try to figure out how I'm going to use forethought during play and how the effects will be incorporated post-performance.
Old 24th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupking View Post
I'll try to figure out how I'm going to use forethought during play and how the effects will be incorporated post-performance.

i recommend the opposite: don't think about it, just let the mix happen when it's time to mix. as you gain experience you'll learn earlier in the process what you want to hear in order to get where you're going, but even then you won't be thinking about it, you'll just know.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

get it sounding the way you want to hear it before pressing record... and take a DI just in case
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i recommend the opposite: don't think about it, just let the mix happen when it's time to mix. as you gain experience you'll learn earlier in the process what you want to hear in order to get where you're going, but even then you won't be thinking about it, you'll just know.

gregoire
del
ubk
Cool, I see what you mean. People don't make music for effects, it should be the other way around.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search