The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is RME Fireface 400 that bad choice?
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Head

Is RME Fireface 400 that bad choice?

I''m looking for 8 A\D converter on a tight budget for drums recording. Is RME Fireface 400 really that bad? Should I save up some more and get lynx, apogee or mytek?

I currently use: TL Audio 5051, Portico 5012, DAV BG-1u, Josephson c42s, Beyer 160, Rode NT-1a, Beta52, 57 etc'... to a PC, cubase 3SX.

Any opinions from your experince will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.
Old 23rd September 2007
CKK
Lives for gear

You should be able to record nice sounding audio on the Fireface.

Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have one, but i mainly use it for performing my music and its a great choice.

I would recommend it to anyone, Especially in that price range..

Its got my vote///

Jun
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejod View Post
I''m looking for 8 A\D converter on a tight budget for drums recording. Is RME Fireface 400 really that bad? Should I save up some more and get lynx, apogee or mytek?

I currently use: TL Audio 5051, Portico 5012, DAV BG-1u, Josephson c42s, Beyer 160, Rode NT-1a, Beta52, 57 etc'... to a PC, cubase 3SX.

Any opinions from your experince will be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom.
You make it sound like the FF400 has a reputation of being a bad converter ! Nothing could be further from the truth and in a shoot out between my old Apogee Rosetta AD and the FF400 , the Apogee lost everytime !

Is there better converters, of course , is the fireface up to the job of getting a great result , you betcha
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Addict
I was gonna say, the FF400 is a fantastic unit. If you don't need all the bells & whistles, you might also consider the Echo units. I am currently using an Audiofire 12 on my latest prioject and it is outstanding..they are also very inexpensive in comparison to the RME units.
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I have been really satisfied with my ff400. Love it's portability. Drivers are rock solid. Converters are very usable, you can definitely make great sounding records with them. You can always add extra inputs later (ADI, ADA8000, OctamicD... plenty of options). The stock preamps are usable, but nothing special. I prefer DAV for this application.
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks everyone for your input. I can see from your experince that the FF is a respectable unit and there is no real "need" for me to go upscale to more expensive units.

That leaves more money to spend on instruments

Thanks again.
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I love my FF400!

One of the best things I think (compared to some other) is the matrix and software mixer that makes (even multiple) headphone mixes possible, really easy.
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejod View Post
Is RME Fireface 400 really that bad?
who told you it's "bad" to start with?

I'm running over $10.000 worth of pre's thru the 800 at times (same pres,AD/DA as 400).if it sucked, I wouldn't use it.
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... I don't understand why people around here think such poor things about RME... unless they have been listening to Fletchers unsubstantiated complaining about them. I think Fletcher is right about a lot... but clearly in the minority on some things (Universal Audio and RME jump out as good examples to me). Don't be sheep. Try them for yourselves. YMMV, remember!?!?!?

Everyone I know that has used RME loves them. A couple of guys who's work I think is amazing (Richard Dodd, Joe Baldridge) use them exclusively and say they prefer them because they sound just like a Radar. And on this... we are talking about the old ADI-8 DS converters. To me, the improved converters in the fireface units sound even better than that. They are outstanding for the money.

Anyone going on negatively about RME converters on the Fireface units simply have not tried them, or certainly not done a blind comparison, or simply has a taste for converters far outside the norm for professional d/a and a/d. Get the FF-400. You will LOVE it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search