The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thoughts on Drum Bleed & Other Artifacts
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Addict
Thoughts on Drum Bleed & Other Artifacts

Curious how the rest of you deal with bleed in drums tracks such as toms and how do you handle snare spring rattles?

My usual approach is cut out tom clips where there are no toms and crossfade both ends unless the bleed is useful, in which case I leave it alone. I have a new issue with a snare spring rattle now on the bottom snare mic where the spring is shaking like a freakin tamborine whenever the kick or tom take a hit. My solution is to gate, and I even go as far as reducing gain or even muting the errant rattles on the clips where there is no associated top snare hit. This allows the gate to open where I want it to, particularly on softer snare hits that actually belong. It's rather tedious but it works. Just curious what others do about it...Tips appreciated!
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

I work mostly with live rock, blues rock, ska, country bands (i.e. the louder side of things). I firmly believe that a little bleed is the glue that holds a mix together (have you seen the photos of the room a lot of the motown classics were cut in?!?).

Anyway with toms I generally go through and manually cut out the bleed, since i find tom bleed to offer nothing flattering.

The snare rattle sounds more like a problem that should've been addressed in the recording phase of the project. However the best fix tool would be a gate.

Quote:
My solution is to gate, and I even go as far as reducing gain or even muting the errant rattles on the clips where there is no associated top snare hit.
Is is possible that your bot snare drum mic is just too loud? I rarely use a bot snare even, and when I find it is needed (for darker snares in particular) I generally only keep it about half the volume of the top mic... generally use a bottom mic when i need more "pffft" of the snares.

Do you have a sample at all?
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

set the kit up right and let it sing

and for super tight drums set it up right and then strip silence and gate
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealRoach View Post
The snare rattle sounds more like a problem that should've been addressed in the recording phase of the project. However the best fix tool would be a gate.
That's the obvious solution but unfortunately, I am dealing with a 70's Ludwig kit and the drummer simply refused to allow me to do anything to correct these types of issues in advance. He wouldn't even let me spray the squeeky kick pedal. At least I know I am on the right track. Thanks!
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

well, you're largely screwed if the drummer refuses to fix things (or won't let you do it for him) before you punch the big red button. sympathetic snare rattle, squeaky kick pedals and all that sort of stuff should be sorted beforehand. i consider it part of tuning the kit. if you can't sort that stuff ahead of time, you'll be fighting it come mixdown.

in general, if you've taken phase relationships properly into account and the room sounds good, you should be able to embrace the bleed and i agree with Roach that it's the glue that holds it all together (along with room mics).

however, if you're fighting a bad drummer, bad drums, a bad room and poorly placed mics, i'd gate and strip silence liberally to compensate. feel free to substitute "marginal" or "lackluster" for "bad" in the previous sentence. heh

your biggest hope in cases such as these is to hope that the drummer hears all this crap on playback and will be willing to let you help him resolve it next time.

try to leverage this as a learning experience.

cheers,
wade
Old 23rd September 2007
One big thing for the future would be don't mic under the snare, it's such a sh#$$y
sound anyway. Mic the shell it's much more usuable a sound

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search