The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bread's "Sweet Surrender"
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Bread's "Sweet Surrender"

I have been listening to Bread's "Sweet Surrender" periodically for a few months now, trying to grasp the "sound" of this mix. (referring to the "re-mastered version" on CD).

I have been using it as a "cross reference" for some mixes I am working on, and whenever I switch back to listening to my own mixes, my heart just sinks

I can't help noticing how "flat"(or rather, upside down smiley curve) the mix's spectrum is, and yet somehow the mix still "works" on all kinds of systems I have listened to. (Bluesky, Genelec, consumer hi-fi, boombox types...).

The mid range is so obviously forward, but always warm and never in the irritating way, and the bass and treble is not in anyway compromised.

I know that era's mixes were done with lower bandwidth consumer playback systems in mind, but how is it that the kick and bass still sound "just right" 30+ years later? (hope it's not the re-mastering tweaks)

Could this be the effect of mixing on the (in)famous Auratones? Or hi-pass at 80-90Hz?

Any one has any tips on how to get closer to this kind of "eq curve" (besides buying a pair of Avantone Mixcubes )? I am using the Bluesky Mediadesk now, turning off the subwoofer doesn't help...

Last edited by Saudade; 23rd September 2007 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: spelling....duh
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
the kick and bass still sound "just right"
I suspect the analog 2in they used had something to do with it
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Hahaha.... I think it might have something to do with the songwriting and of course David Gates.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search