The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hello & Questions (My First Post)
Old 22nd September 2007
Here for the gear

Hello & Questions (My First Post)

Hello Everyone This is my first post on the forum full of endless knowledge.
A friend of mine directed me here when I told him I had some recording questions, and told me this was the best place to go.

I'm sure some of these questions have been asked before, but I've only got a short amount of time to make this post before I have to leave for a little while, and thus don't have time to do an extensive search, so I apologize if this has been seen a million times

I'm an advanced guitar player, but a total novice at recording, and I don't have an overabundance of money, so I can't just go out and buy the best gear money can buy, or pay someone who has it already.

I'm currently in the middle of working on a Christmas CD with a friend (As silly as everyone seems to think that idea is :( lol)and would like the quality to be as close to professional as humanly possible with the gear I've got.
My gear is as follows (the important stuff anyway).
Mesa Boogie Mark IV Amp Head
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Cabinet
Shure SM57
CAD M37 (in the mail)
PreSonus Firebox
Nuendo

I've also got the obvious, like a mic stand, XLR cables, etc...the things that would be stupid not to have, lol.

In the near future I intend on getting a Sennheiser e609 to accompany my Shure SM57 (I'd love to use an MD421 with the SM57 like John Petrucci does, but that's definitely over my budget). I'm also going to get a good pair of headphones for mixing, since I don't have the room for speakers, and I'm used to headphones regardless.

I also know some basics, such as the fact that mic placement on a guitar cabinet can make all the difference in the world, and I'd like to experiment with some more placements when I get time. I also know that the noisier your room is, the more noise it's going to pick up. Unfortunately I have a small non carpeted room, and don't have the room to build a box for my cabinet. However, I'm going to take the best precautions I can, like building a box to put over my computer to silence the fans, and of course, turning my ceiling fan off (though I hate that...it gets HOT! lol).

My main question in all of this at the moment, is I'd like to know how to make my guitar sound as good in the mix as humanly possible. Whether it be mic placement suggestions or mixing ideas, I'd like to hear it.

I'm going to have a friend do vocals for the Christmas CD, so vocal suggestions are also very welcome.

Really, any ideas or suggestions that you would give a recording/mixing noob is very much appreciated. To give an idea of the kind of mix I'm very fond of, Dream Theater is my favorite band, and two of their CD's that really stand out to me along the lines of the mix are Train of Thought and Systematic Chaos. I don't know if that will help at all or not, hehe.

As much as I appreciate any opinions and ideas, I'd like to please avoid the "Get an iMac and a $2,000 Condenser Mic and you'll be fine" type posts. As I said, I'm not a very wealthy kinda guy, lol.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Addict
Not to cut you off at the gate but in all honesty, you could probably find all the information you could dream of and more by simply spending some time reading through the forums here. There's a wealth of information within these forums to keep you busy reading for weeks on guitars alone. You already have all the equipment you need to get incredible guitar sounds, the rest will be up to you.
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

This isnt quite an 'imac and $2000 mic answer,

But, I'd seriously think about some monitoring , and sort out your space to accomodate it. Theres plenty of low budget monitors that would do the trick. You have got the rest of the kit sorted, why get cheap/non exsistant on whats possibly the most important element - monitoring? headphones only wont cut it for either tracking or mixing.

B
Old 23rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

Birdi, I'll start checkin out some monitors here soon.

Thanks again.
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

hey, noticed you are interested in the MD 421.... another mic you could try and see if you like is the MD 441.... also a sennheiser.

one of my favorite combo's is the MD 441 and one of them modern royer ribbons.. 121 I think it is .

Birdi

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search