The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows ROCK! ...plus petition for Chris
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Airwindows ROCK! ...plus petition for Chris

I saw Chris posting a bunch lately and it reminded me that I had his free "Channel" plugin. So I thought I'd give it a try. WOW...totally cool. I set it to SSL model, and put 1 on every channel, and it really analogized my track I was working on...which was all samples.

Great job Chris!!! Today I pickep up IronOxide and Logical (SSL sound)

Here's my petition part:

1) Chris can you make the new Channel plugin a Channel2 plugin so I can use them both?

2) Can you add a master volume to IronOxide?

3) Any chance of fancy GUI's in the future?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 22nd September 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
I saw Chris posting a bunch lately and it reminded me that I had his free "Channel" plugin. So I thought I'd give it a try. WOW...totally cool. I set it to SSL model, and put 1 on every channel, and it really analogized my track I was working on...which was all samples.

Great job Chris!!! Today I pickep up IronOxide and Logical (SSL sound)

Here's my petition part:

1) Chris can you make the new Channel plugin a Channel2 plugin so I can use them both?

2) Can you add a master volume to IronOxide?

3) Any chance of fancy GUI's in the future?

Thanks,
Michael
Yikes, a petition!

Are you sure you want to use both? I realise Channel's new version is different, but to do the same thing as the previous SSL version, put bass restrict to about 0.5, slew limit to OFF or at least 0.2 or so, and the new drive section is actually FROM the character plugs like Logical (except with none of the convolution modeling they have, no coloring) and should be way better than the first one. To get the drive of the first one set hardness to 0.

Isn't output level a master volume?

Fancy GUIs YES, from other companies :D seriously, I have way too much to do to get into that. I have a amp sim to make, in two versions because I need to do a big-amp version of it too- and I expect to be updating both Iron Oxide and Logical pretty soon.

Iron Oxide is getting 96K-savvy. The sound doesn't change but it should know when it's on 96K or any other rate, and adjust its 'ips' control so 30 ips on 44.1K does the same basic thing as 30 ips on 96K- you no longer have to set it to half the speed you want, to compensate.

Some of the code interacts with the actual sampling rate so it cannot sound exactly the same- but I think it sounds way BETTER at 96K, whether it's identical or not- and the general sound is the same.

Logical is getting an update where I'm going to split out the base tone from the signal-dependent tone, and give you more opportunity to crank out the latter so there's a very colorful sound. This should also help Neverland users get a sound with fuller bass. That's not happening right away but it's on my list.

I also have a special sort of noise gate and mono and stereo tape flutter plugs that I really need to finish up for the people who asked me for them- these have never come out because they hit development problems, but the flutter ones are actually fully functional- they just cannot be made to have consistent latency because the time base is too irregular. They might come out as is, at some point. The flutter IS very good flutter, physical modeling and not just a vibrato.
Old 23rd September 2007
AWESOME!

Hey Chris you just made my day with the 96k compatibility!!!! I will be purchasing more plugs as you update!!!!
Old 23rd September 2007
Airwindows

I shall make a point of letting Kagi have it by Monday
Old 23rd September 2007
I really like the channel and the iron oxide. I am a happy customer of iron oxide! Can't wait for the update.
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Is it just me, or is it ironic that they are called "airwindows" and they are not available for windows.....or even VST?
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
I set it to SSL model, and put 1 on every channel, and it really analogized my track I was working on...which was all samples.

Can you post it so we can hear for ourselves?
Old 23rd September 2007
I'm looking forward to getting kick, snares, and point as well will you be sending out a bulletin letting us know when all this is 96k compatible?

Thanks for the heads up
Old 23rd September 2007
You can download or hear it here

http://store.kagi.com/cgi-bin/store....D=6FEGJ_LIVE&&

Scroll down to the link that says channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Can you post it so we can hear for ourselves?
Old 23rd September 2007
Airwindows

The original name was come up with in the days of Windows 95 and 68K Macintoshes, if not before. It was originally for a HARDWARE company, mostly about speaker manufacture. The idea was, if a speaker is a 'window on the sound' and you're busily cleaning it, removing color casts from it, glare etc, with mine you SMASH the window and air blows through :D

Never did go very far with the speaker manufacture, though I routinely make my own speakers, including the ones I master on. (those would be WAY too much trouble to make for sale...)
Old 23rd September 2007
Airwindows

The only reason I ever use customer emails is to send them updates for free, forever- so I cannot do a bulletin, no. I might post. The easiest way to get a bulletin of the update is to buy the plug I'm going to be updating, then I send it to you immediately once the store updates! (easiest way to keep track)

Snares is totally insensitive to sample rate, BTW... Kick, I could update, though it's one where the only difference is the setting, so it's not like it would sound different, you'd just be putting the slider to a different position and that's all... Point, yikes, I'd really like to do more work on that than just changing the settings to be 96K savvy. Point is potentially a killer 'transient reducer' but I just feel there has to be a better way of handling it.

As always, anything new that makes something like Point obsolete, all Point users get a free copy of whatever the new thing is. I did this when I phased out Pressure and replaced it with VariMu...
Old 23rd September 2007
Cool Chris,

Looking forward to reading more of your posts. The only weird thing about just moving the slider is that 96k is such an odd number it's difficult to get the same pitch as 44.1. yeah 48k and 96k sound funny. it pings right in 44.1 and 88.2 cause it's easy to split.

Rock!
Old 23rd September 2007
Airwindows

Eh? The only differences should be that the _setting_ will be faintly different between 44.1 and 48K. There is nothing happening in any of my plugs that should sound BAD at say 48K if that's the session rate. They should sound exactly the same within the limitations of things like frequency sliders producing slightly different frequencies.

Working on the guitar amp, with a bit of luck I can go live with that AND the Iron Oxide update next week. Naturally I've made the amp 96K-savvy, everything's going to work that way now. I'm trying to figure out what to do with a little tone-smoothing detail that's centered on the actual sampling rate and can't be scaled. Either I could try to double it up, making the tone smoother but possibly duller, or I can let the main tone shaping handle things, in which case the amp plug at 96K will have better highs than the 44.1K one (which will be as good as it can be, I'm not ripping it off- it's just that the method is less necessary at 96K so it makes sense for it to be present only as much as it has to be)

The amp as it currently exists on a DI strat copy
http://www.mediafire.com/?av0n0peh9nd
Old 23rd September 2007
Oh I didn't mean it sounds bad at 48k. the pitch of the tape speeds sounds just right in 44.1 pitch and when you go into the 48k and 96k its never at the pitch i like to hear at 44.1 does that make sense? Eh it's late. Looking forward to all the updates.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search