The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would be a good mic (and pre) to capture above 10K of a distorted guitar?
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
6-800 can also be the source of mud. Sometimes I will boost 80 and cut at 800 for that modern thud-and-buzz that a lot of people like. A lot of the modern guitars get their grind at 3k. Its a buzzy world these days my friend. Tone is becoming a lost art.
i pull 180-330 for mud and add a little 100-120 for sizzling up to the bass gtr..but we are both in the ball park

600-800 was a todd rundgren trick back in the day..

not enuff ...whimpy ..too much...nasally.. a lot of meat to play with there
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

if thik there is a lot of information above 10 k in guitars, electric and acoustic. harmonics maybe ? very useful sometimes, but not always.
i recomend for getting some wide guitars api preamps with beyer m88, senheisser md441(hi/low cut-boost), and neumann u87. maybe those neumann dynamic mics, i cant recall now the model, but if you get one of those thats not destroyed, they got some cool neumann dynamic thinner sound. pultecs are magical, i use a couple from time to time.
of course the gtr cab and the room is very important, besides the amp, for those high frecuencies. mesa, fender cabs are good for that, i use them when i go for that high high fi compressed modern gtr sound.

lots of different tastes over here, very cool
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hello.

Thank you very much for your responses.
I now understand that you are trying to tell me.
Understanding your posts, I think what I like is not actually produced from the amp.
It is maybe the air from the room? also a little bit of hiss.
or harmonics like you said.

Thank you for your suggestion on the mid band of the 1073. I think the mid band can actually change the tone too much when a guitar player is making good sounds. I think I like the little something over top of the distorted guitars.
I always like to let players make very best sounds before recording. I ask them to overdub if they cannot make good sounds at once not by EQing in the mix.
For rock bands, the time when I use parametric EQs (like normal boosting and cutting the core tone) is for vocals and drums or any none electric instruments, and that is why I like the top and bottom of good EQs like the 1073 because it can produce something that only the EQ can produce.

But like you said, I may be hearing the lower freq boosted by the top (10k) filter though I believed the ti ti ti sounds (if described by words) were over 10K.

I never knew that guitar cabs had freq limit so low.
When I hear whatever distorted guitar, it sounds full range to me, but maybe it is from the room.
I learned something new. Thank you very very much.

Well, then the question is, what would you use to capture the high end much?
I use the royer and the 1073 for lower, so if another set up captures the high end, it is perfect to blend. I will also over dub the guitars at least three time asking the player to make super hi, normal, super low tone, so if it is 3 takes, 6 tracks of the guitar part in the mix. )

Thank you for all of your posts, and sorry for not putting samples or any kind.
Old 23rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
our neve 1107's added 5 dB at 5k when you turned the hf up 3db at 10k..go figure

yeah, if the shelf is steep enough it'll overshoot at the corner, creating a bit of a resonant peak that settles back in by the time it hits the target freq; there's often a bit of a dip below the corner as well. it's a cool sound, and the reason why steep shelves are easier to hear when sweeping around. they also behave more aggressively, less transparency more balls.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
yeah, if the shelf is steep enough it'll overshoot at the corner, creating a bit of a resonant peak that settles back in by the time it hits the target freq; there's often a bit of a dip below the corner as well. it's a cool sound, and the reason why steep shelves are easier to hear when sweeping around. they also behave more aggressively, less transparency more balls.

gregoire
del
ubk
that's why if you don't understand classic hardware eq design idosycracies you can't emulate and often get in trouble with DAW variable freq parametric eq's [you look at the purrrrty symetrical "picture" instead of listening to the sound]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search