The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peavey AMR Production Series 1600 console question
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Peavey AMR Production Series 1600 console question

I am considering the purchase of a Peavey AMR 1600 console and had a question.

Forgive my stupidity because I do not have the manual and the console is several hours away.

Does the console have inserts on each channel?

Does it have inserts on the busses?

Thanks for the input.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Symmetrical inserts pre AND post (you choose - or patch both ).
Yes, inserts on subgroups too.
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

And there is also an insert on the mains LOL if that will help. The AMR has alot of flexibility for routing. Do a search for "AMR" here and you will find a post that also talks about the routing between the input modules and the moniter modules (it's a split design desk) that may be of help too (you can use a moniter channel as an insert too), as well as other posts to glean valuable info that may help you decide about purchase. If you have more questions or end up getting the board give me or one of the other AMR guy's on the board a PM (there are a few of us here and they have been very helpful to me along the way ... Thanks guys).
Old 21st September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
And there is also an insert on the mains LOL if that will help. The AMR has alot of flexibility for routing. Do a search for "AMR" here and you will find a post that also talks about the routing between the input modules and the moniter modules (it's a split design desk) that may be of help too (you can use a moniter channel as an insert too), as well as other posts to glean valuable info that may help you decide about purchase. If you have more questions or end up getting the board give me or one of the other AMR guy's on the board a PM (there are a few of us here and they have been very helpful to me along the way ... Thanks guys).
Why would you lol about there being an insert on the mains, where do you think your SSL FG384 goes?
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback. I will be joining your ranks soon.

Any idea of the length of the console for the 1600? I am guessing about 8 feet?
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

One another question. Does it have any automation ability? I noticed it has a midi out connector.
Old 22nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited View Post
One another question. Does it have any automation ability? I noticed it has a midi out connector.
No there's no automation, but if you can find megamix or optifile around you could get it installed. The console is 6'
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
No there's no automation, but if you can find megamix or optifile around you could get it installed. The console is 6'
Thanks Lou.

What is megamix or optifile?
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Lou, you can put a Behringer Exciter on the Master inserts too LOL, the point of the joke was that the board has ALOT of insert points.
Old 22nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Lou, you can put a Behringer Exciter on the Master inserts too LOL, the point of the joke was that the board has ALOT of insert points.
I get what you were going for but my point is ANY real console has a 2 buss insert.
What is over kill about the amr are the post fader inserts. Although you can use the post fader send as a direct out
Old 22nd September 2007
Quote:
Thanks Lou.

What is megamix or optifile?
Megamix and Optifile and Magi were VCA based automation systems you could install into your console, this was much cooler than the later megamix system and the Mackie
system where you patch into the inserts, zero the faders and mix with a mouse. Cad no longer sells, or I think, supports megamix. I think Optifile is gone and I dont think JL cooper supports Magi anymore
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

gee where's john roberts??? he designed the damn thing IIRC...
Old 22nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
gee where's john roberts??? he designed the damn thing IIRC...
While I'm not John Roberts I've owned one of these things for years, what do you need to know?
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Awesome Lou thanks for the info. This is exactly what I need.

I will be on the hunt for the Megamix or Opti file.

So how do these work? Are they just mute automation or will they even do fader automation.

Does it require an old school computer with automation?
Old 23rd September 2007
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome Lou thanks for the info. This is exactly what I need.

I will be on the hunt for the Megamix or Opti file.

So how do these work? Are they just mute automation or will they even do fader automation.

Does it require an old school computer with automation?
Yeah. Good luck finding a computer running Windows 5.3 with a floppy drive.

Ha. Brings to mind an event that occured last week. I was purging some office documents, when a kid just out of college saw a floppy. Then he saw the old IBM big-as-a-dinner-plate floppies. He had no idea what they were. Wow. I am old.
Old 23rd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC View Post
Yeah. Good luck finding a computer running Windows 5.3 with a floppy drive.

Ha. Brings to mind an event that occured last week. I was purging some office documents, when a kid just out of college saw a floppy. Then he saw the old IBM big-as-a-dinner-plate floppies. He had no idea what they were. Wow. I am old.
I'm probably older, Megamix runs on a mac, but to be sure an OLD mac. The last cpu megamix would work on was the original powermac with nubus slots. Were talking 7100, 8100. All of the automation systems I mentioned are real automation systems . They required an install into your console and you used your consoles faders and in some case mutes. Megamix had one version with controller cards where you used the console for everything. I knew someone who had it installed in a Trident TSM. The Megamix system I run uses my consoles faders but has an external controller for writing mutes, solos, changing automation modes etc. I have 48 automated faders
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you are using a DAW in a hybrid system with your desk then you can squeek by with the volume/mute automation in it. Lou has the REEL deal though.
Old 24th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
While I'm not John Roberts I've owned one of these things for years, what do you need to know?
was not impuning you couldn't ... just nice to go to the source when possible...
Old 24th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
was not impuning you couldn't ... just nice to go to the source when possible...
I wasn't taking it that way, but I know abit about the operation and tricks associated with this console, thanks to my tech who had some conversations with Mister Roberts.
Like for instance, if you want to lower the noise floor of the console alternately pan the channels hard left and right on the monitor side, unless of course you need them. This will lower the noise floor EVEN IF THOSE CHANNELS ARE MUTED. Kind of kooky but true. Also if you don't like the meters being post fader on the input side and prefer them
to be post trim pre fader lift up the meter bridge and reverse the little red plug on the channel strip.
Old 27th December 2009
Gear Maniac

Bump for an old thread.

Just picked up a Peavey AMR Production Series 800 board for $600. Excited to have one. I'm going to order all my cabling this week and get it all hooked up proper. I was curious if y'all would mind seeing if I have this right. I'll be running it into pro tools via 002r and ADA8000.

Pres -> line inputs on AMR
AMR Post Send -> 002r/ADA8000 inputs (This is post fader as a direct out)
002r/ADA8000 outputs -> AMR tape in

I primarily track a band live. This way if we lay down drums and bass I just punch the button to switch between line in/tape in on those channels and start tracking guitar for them to playback from the computer. This will work right? Any latency issues? I pretty much want to use the computer as a tape machine and the board to mix/sum (when done I'll output the 2 buss to inputs on the ada8000).

Am I totally backwards or is this a realistic setup?

Also, if anyone has a digital version of the manual they wouldn't mind sending me, I'd love to have it.
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

Just PM me with your email and I will send you the AMR manual.

As far as the sends I don't use mine that way but I suppose you could. Since I have the 16 buss I just output to the tape machine that way. Just try it and see how you like it.
Old 21st January 2010
Gear Maniac

I tried hooking things up this way and ran into an issue.

If I track drums then have 6 channels recorded to the DAW (kick, snare, tom1, etc.) then switch over to tape inputs on the AMR the gain structure is totally different than that of a microphone or line input from my pres. I have to adjust the gain to get a proper signal level, but then I've messed up my gain for tracking. Going back and forth is a pain.

I figured the tape in wouldn't use the gain circuit and would just be a 0db level. Is there a way to get this to work how I want it or is that just how this console is?
Old 12th February 2010
Gear Maniac

Bump for a problem not yet fixed.

I know I should be monitoring with the monitor channels, so if I send my tracks via busses to designated monitor tracks, I can't hear playback unless I put each channel input to the tape in. Shouldn't I be able to press "tape" on the monitor channel to hear the tape in from the input channels assigned to that monitor channel?

I guess in short: How the heck do you monitor playback on these things? What is your basic workflow setup?

I really need help, sessions are pilling up!
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

You didn't list which version of the 8 buss you have, 24 inputs or 32 inputs? Since you have the 8 buss version you will have 8 moniter modules, each with an upper and lower moniter section. When you use the "Line/Tape in" switch on the input module, depending on how it is pressed one of the two (line in or tape in) input signals will be sent to the desk's right side moniter modules. This is done via a 4 wire cable that connects an individual left side input module to an individual upper or lower moniter connector on the right side moniter module. The problem is that you only have 8 moniter modules on the 8 buss so you only have 16 possible connectors availble; meaning only 16 out of your 24 or 32 input modules can be connected to the upper/lower moniters. Per the manual your input modules 1 through 8 should be connected to your right side lower moniters 1 through 8; and your input modules 9 through 16 should be connected to your right side upper moniters 1 through 8. If it's not the way you want it then pull the modules and connect the 4 wire individual cables in the order you want but the max you will be able to moniter that way is still just 16 tape ins. The 16 buss and 24 buss models have 32 and 48 respectfully (upper plus lower) moniters available on the right side of the desk so they don't have this limitation (more input modules than moniters on the right side like your desk). The 24 buss which I have only has input modules 1 through 24 going to 1 through 24 of the lower moniters wired up with nothing internally hooked up to the upper moniters so their factory setup should have added the wiring of input modules 25 through 36 to upper moniters 1 through 12 (they got cheap and skipped it). Given the 24 buss is 116 channels at mix time and it's other routing flexability it's not that big of a deal and if it is then you would just add some internal wires. Hope this explains why you are not hearing what you want on the right side of the desk.
Old 16th February 2010
Lives for gear

By the way, your input module's "Pre Insert Send" will act as the shortest path direct out (pre EQ/pre Fader) without breaking signal to the rest of the input module.
Old 10th April 2010
Gear Addict

I just traded for an AMR 1600 32 channels with the intention of seriously pimping it. From a quick look at the schematics it looks like about 2/3 of the electrolytics in the signal path aren't needed, so I'm going to rip those out of a couple of channels and see how they sound. Chip upgrades and improved 2 mix output amps are also on the agenda. P&G faders over time as the budget allows. Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'll share my mods and results here as they progress.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 10th April 2010
Lives for gear

Joe,

Keep us updated. I would love to hear more of the progress. I love my AMR 1600 in stock form. I bet it will sound even better modded.
Old 10th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHilbert View Post
Bump for a problem not yet fixed.

I know I should be monitoring with the monitor channels, so if I send my tracks via busses to designated monitor tracks, I can't hear playback unless I put each channel input to the tape in. Shouldn't I be able to press "tape" on the monitor channel to hear the tape in from the input channels assigned to that monitor channel?

I guess in short: How the heck do you monitor playback on these things? What is your basic workflow setup?

I really need help, sessions are pilling up!
So if I have this right, you patched external pre's into your AMR line in's?
One of the main reasons why people originally started using outboard pre's was to bypass all of the consoles electronics. You should have a patch bay, the out's of you're pre's should be patchable to the in's of your interface.
Old 10th April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-electro View Post
I just traded for an AMR 1600 32 channels with the intention of seriously pimping it. From a quick look at the schematics it looks like about 2/3 of the electrolytics in the signal path aren't needed, so I'm going to rip those out of a couple of channels and see how they sound. Chip upgrades and improved 2 mix output amps are also on the agenda. P&G faders over time as the budget allows. Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'll share my mods and results here as they progress.

Thanks,

Joe
work on the 2 buss first as far as modding, if you get that right, the whole sound of the console opens up considerably
Old 11th April 2010
Gear Addict

Thanks for the tip, Lou. I have a question for you and the other AMR slutz here - I have a manual for the console but there's very little info on the MIDI control center and no schematic. I'm thinking about reprogramming that thing to store strings of MIDI commands so that I can send them out to a variety of devices by hitting a Recall/Send key combination, but I'll need a schematic and it would be nice to know what microprocessor they're using. I haven't had time to rip into the console yet, but I'm already in there cosmically.

Thanks,

Joe

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search