The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Moog MF-101 Desktop Synthesizers
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Moog MF-101

I'm looking for something to beef up bass tracks og kicks.

Can the Moog MF-101 achieve this?
Can the MF-101 produce a subharmonic type effect.

Or is there a better piece of hardware for what I'm trying to do?
DBX120A? Sherman Filterbank? Something else?

Thanks in advance!
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

no. You need something like the Maxx Bass plugin from Waves to add sub harmonics.

This is just a low pass filter, kind of an Auto Wah, if you will.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemamma View Post
Hardware please! But thanks anyways!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

since it's been discontinued, stock is dwindling in stores so I just picked up one of these..
I've not tested it fully but simply using the drive, I was able to add a beautiful thickness to my DI'd guitar, obviously at the high end it distorts but in minimum amounts I was super impressed at the thickness
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

@Joemamma,

the Moogerfooger MF 101 is a lowpass filter , the DBX120A is a subharmonic generator.

so entirely different beasts...

that being said, I have had cool results with using the MF101 on differnent materials purely for the DRIVE of that pedal... it sounds awesome and "fattens up" almost everything.

the good thing is that the drive section works even when the actual filter is in bypass mode.

but for that you could also get the "MF Drive" by Moog, aka the "Minifoogers" (cheaper and still in production)

the DBX120A (or 520 for 500 Series Rack) is more what you seem to be looking for, it will generate a subharmonic signal 1 octave below your original material, as long as your material is in the ~100 Hz range I believe.
(not 100% sure about that number but check DBX website to make sure)

edit:
wow, that was an OLD thread haha, I expect some mummies to pop out of this necromancy session anytime soon! ^^

Last edited by xenosapien; 1 week ago at 10:34 AM.. Reason: necromancy
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemamma View Post
I'm looking for something to beef up bass tracks og kicks.

Can the Moog MF-101 achieve this?
Can the MF-101 produce a subharmonic type effect.

DBX120A? Sherman Filterbank? Something else?

Thanks in advance!
not sure what you mean by og kicks, or if you are talking bass guitar or what, but if it is bass guitar, I'd get a klark teknik pultec if you want that fat beef. Or the eurorack doepfer mixtur trautonium clone, which is a subharmonic synth
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm a bit dissapointed with the 101. It's very noisy, has no bypass. I expected it to behave like the audio-in of my old mono bass synth Doepfer MS-404. Loved this low pass filter / resonance combi. To me the Drive sounds like a very cheap transistor overdrive... I even prefer the low pass / resonance of my Akai MPC live. If you're looking for something like the DBX a secret weapon is the old Behringer Ultrafex 3200. I bought some cheap Behringer stuff in the early 90s and most of it was crap but the Ultrafex is quite good.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
I'm a bit dissapointed with the 101. It's very noisy, has no bypass. I expected it to behave like the audio-in of my old mono bass synth Doepfer MS-404. Loved this low pass filter / resonance combi. To me the Drive sounds like a very cheap transistor overdrive... I even prefer the low pass / resonance of my Akai MPC live. If you're looking for something like the DBX a secret weapon is the old Behringer Ultrafex 3200. I bought some cheap Behringer stuff in the early 90s and most of it was crap but the Ultrafex is quite good.
just realized this is a 12 year old thread. nevertheless, the 101 is an amazing box. That and the delay are the best MF-s IMO. The 101 is the most musical outboard filter i have heard, sounds the least "electronic" and more like pure music. I have a clavinet that the 101 stays on, and the level of expression is incredible, i love the 2 pole filter on it, and use the mp-201 as a pedal and cv controller, along with the cp-251, and that's really all I need for the rest of my life on the clav, there is just endless amazing soundscapes to be had. The clav is a bright harsh instrument, more so than the electric guitar, so that if you filter it creatively (using your ears and self restraint, something sorely lacking in electronic stuff), with musical moves and gestures, there is so much coolness with swells, wooaahheeaaoh effects, (like a wah but smoother and much more expressive).

The moog ladder filter is the singlemost important and musical electronic component ever I think. When you hear all the rest, like the korgs, arturias, etc, nothing comes close to it's musicality. And the drive? to me it's just a level control, if you want distortion, use something else.
Old 1 week ago
I used to own multiple MF101s exactly for the purposes of beefing up drums. It's very easy to add insane amounts of tuned bottom end to a drum kit or drum samples, and if you want more artificial or 'drum machine" style effects, you can easily dial them in with the envelope control.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
The ladder filter is a "collection of electronic components" that is made into a "circuit". A "circuit" is a "collection of electronic Components" that is assembled to do work.

While your enthusiasm for the Moog ladder is cute, the ladder circuit is "Electronics 101" type content, and is nowhere near "important". Or Vital. But it does sound good in the context of the Moog circuit. I will give you that much.
And a collection of circuits, (like a receiver) is a component as well. It's crazy, but some words in english have more than one meaning. While your condescension is cute, too bad you will never have the sort of enthusiasm it takes to be a real artist. That "been there done that" attitude is the naive misgivings of someone always looking for the new thing because they don't realize what they have, nor use the full potential of it.

great chat, nice owning you. Let's do it again some time, just not this year.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Agree about the "drive" sounding pretty meh...
The filter is really great but I wasn't using it much and sold it.
No regrets apart from missing the looks (wood sides and Moog logo)!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioloud View Post
Agree about the "drive" sounding pretty meh...
The filter is really great but I wasn't using it much and sold it.
No regrets apart from missing the looks (wood sides and Moog logo)!
Same here, but I still have it. I thought it would sound like the Doepfer 'cause many said back then the Doepfer would sound a lot like the moog lowpass filter. But the Doepfer was so fat and creamy...
Any idea for the reason that the Doepfer sounds so much better IMO with an analog-in signal? The VCF had a 24db low pass filter, an ADSR and two LFOs.
I really regret selling it...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Same here, but I still have it. I thought it would sound like the Doepfer 'cause many said back then the Doepfer would sound a lot like the moog lowpass filter. But the Doepfer was so fat and creamy...
Any idea for the reason that the Doepfer sounds so much better IMO with an analog-in signal? The VCF had a 24db low pass filter, an ADSR and two LFOs.
I really regret selling it...
depends on what you are using it for, but I have never heard a doepfer filter that sounded better than the 101, or any moog filter for that matter, other than the one on an old Moog satellite i used to have. The deopfer eurorack filter I have used was very electronic sounding, if that's what you are going for. I am more into musical filters, although i am not really an electronic musician. Perhaps you are hung up on the "drive", which is just an input gain, not supposed to be great, just functional. Perhaps it sounds better for marketing or optics to use "drive" instead of input gain.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search