Good place for pro audio gear (esp. used gear) in Toronto?
I'm going to be in Toronto over the weekend and was wondering if anyone might have some good tips for pro audio gear shopping in the city. The U.S. dollar isn't what it used to be, so some of that allure is gone, but I figure there should be a few interesting spots to check out. I'm especially interested in the possibility of finding good spots for used audio gear.
You won't find any "deals" in Toronto more than you will in Michigan.
For reg. retail shops, I'll concur re: Steve's Music, or Long & McQuade. Teletech is cool, but is a long ways out from downtown.
Another choice for boutique/high end (but only new or poss. demo gear) try ProAudioCanada - it's also some ways from downtown (near hwy 401 and Leslie St)
297 Lesmill Road
Also Moog Audio has some mid to high end stuff, and are about the cheapest in the city.
442 Queen West
A pretty cool place is SavedByTechnology, but is more electronics/keyboard/SW and such...
10 Breadalbane (off Wellsley subway)
416 928 6434
There are a few used instrument/vintage shops on Queen West - Songbird, etc., but IMO are WAY overpriced. I saw a completely beat up fender rhodes for $800.00 - I guess rent is a bit high, so...
There used to be a place called Wellington Pro Audio run by a local legend named Lurch, but I think has gone the way of the dodo bird.
That's all I can offer off the top 'o my head - enjoy the trip!
Here's my list of great stores all walkable in an afternoon for all those coming up....
- Steve's Music 415 Queen Street WEST (not east, as someone else suggested) (just east of Spadina) Carry just about everything. New only.
- Long and McQuade 925 Bloor Street West (just west of Ossington) Carries just about everything as well. New Only, although you can score deals on purchasing stuff that's been rented out.
- Songbird Music 801 Queen Street West. Used stock only. Lots of instruments/amps, poor deals for proaudio/high end
- Capsule Music 921 Queen Street West. Used stock only. Lots of instruments/amps, cool effects and quirky rarities. A MUST SEE for musicians. Good prices too. They've got different rooms: Guitars/amps, Bass/amps, keyboards (vintage only), and acoutic (resonator, vintage, upright basses, lapsteels)
- Paul's Boutique 69 1/2 Nassau Street (in Kensington Market). Used stock only. Instruments, amps and recording gear (had an MCI 24 track 2" that sold a little while ago), another vintage freak's store.
All of these stores except for Long and McQuade are walkable and highly recommended.