The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acoustics: Rockwool equivalent to Ownens Corning
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

Acoustics: Rockwool equivalent to Ownens Corning

Hi,
I'm planning to build bass traps, but want to use Rockwool instead of Ownens Corning because of the price and availability where I live. Now to the problem. Wich Rockwool product is similar to 703 and 705? I've read that if I choose a panel with 50-100 kg/m^3 it would work. But I would like to see some chart where I can compare the products.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Rockwool RW3 is what Studiospares sells as acoustic treatment.

I got mine form the local builders merchant though as it was considerably cheaper than Studiospares for the same thing.
Old 17th September 2007
Old 17th September 2007
Jam
Lives for gear

Someone posted this link in another thread, cheapest UK prices I've seen

http://www.just-insulation.com/eshop.html

Jam
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

if you use 10cm panels 705 is a better option.

for thicker stuff 703 is a better value for money
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

The Roxul Rockboard 60 is their equivalent to OC705 (they're both 6pcf density). I don't know what the OC703 equivalent is......but the Rockboard 60 works VERY nicely and is a good bit cheaper than both 703 and 705. That's what i went with when i made some new panels a couple weeks ago.

cheers,
wade
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you go Rockwool Cavity Insulation, Cladding Rolls, and Soundpro Flexi Acoustic Partitions, UK

Scroll down to the bottom above the diagrams and it says that RW3 is particularly good in sound studios.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

rockwool around amsterdam

Same problem here... if anyone knows a store around Amsterdam Holland, that has extra thick rockwool (steenwol), please post, or pm me. I've searched a bit: they don't have it, or only sell them only by the 1000ends...

thanks,
miq
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by miqer View Post
Same problem here... if anyone knows a store around Amsterdam Holland, that has extra thick rockwool (steenwol), please post, or pm me. I've searched a bit: they don't have it, or only sell them only by the 1000ends...

thanks,
miq
Can't help you with a place, but even if you find it 2" thick you still can stack them to make a thicker panel.

Glenn
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

Now my problem is that the RW3 slab is called something else in Sweden. I contacted Roxull (swedish rockwool) but they hade no clue what the equivalent of RW3 is called here.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
Can't help you with a place, but even if you find it 2" thick you still can stack them to make a thicker panel.
Glenn
Ok... but I meant thick as in more compressed into 1. I bought a few packs 10 years back... they were way more expensive than normal compressed thickness... That store is now closed :O

m.
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

OK, now the RW3 is not an option anymore. The don't have that product in Sweden. And I just wanted to build some bass traps but I will soon be an expert on insulation.
Old 18th September 2007
Jam
Lives for gear

This is received wisdom but I read on another forum..........

Rocksil RS45 / Rockwall RWA 45 = 703.

And

Rocksil RS60 / Rockwall RW3 = 705

This was in answer to the question " what are the UK alternatives to Owen Cornings ? "

I'm not sure that'll be of any help and please double check this information yourself.

Jam
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Addict

Now I have found something interesting. What would you choose from this chart?

Ljuddiagram
Old 20th September 2007
Lives for gear

That's funny - 2 weeks ago I've talked to some guys from Rockwool Germany about the exact same topic, and they just don't know either. What's really stunning, is the fact that Rockwool in Europe is literally made from pure natural mineral fibers. A guy that I met recently - who some years ago set up the machines that weave the material - told me that in the US it's more or less synthetic and thus unhealthy, er... yes...

So, in Germany, the most appropriate material would be "Sonorock" (as the name implies) or anything called "035". I guess. Hm. That's what they meant
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

+1 for the roxul rockboard 60... call your roxul rep and have them point you towards a local distributer...

i got mine super cheap, in the states, from a contractor supply company (4" at $8 a piece)!!!

for around $250 i got enough to treat my 18x24' room

Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

In general, just go for the heavier version. I just purchased a bunch of material called fibrex. Same basic stuff...their options were 4 pound or 8 pound...in addition to the actual thickness of the material. It's great and about a third of the price of the 703/705.

m
Old 23rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Hej!

In Norway, the rockwool acoustic plate (akustikkplate) is 60 kg/m3, sound plate (lydplate is 90 kg/m3.

They can also be ordered with pre-sealed sides. The names are probably about the same in Swedish?

Andreas
PS: Norwegian acoustics article here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search