The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Taking the mike
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Taking the mike

Been recording various styles of late, bitch getting the mikes cool. Jazz seems to be room sound, but then the hats (closed..ahhh!!) are mega loud. Funk stuff close mike, and P.A system record (distort that speaker).

I know it's trial and error, but sticking tape on toms etc is boring....how about a tip or two (beer bottle inside tom =stuck down....kinda hermolzaaaa trap!!! (yep stupid, but why not!!)

If I'm talking ****e then tell me, but listening to old skool funk rec's they have a crunchy metal snare sound, they weren't using sound replacer were they ?!!!!!!
Old 16th November 2002
Moderator emeritus

A LOT of old school funk records use tape on drums. The Motown trick was a wallet taped to the snare (a $100 bill placed in the wallet by the producer improved the track as well...).

If the hat is too loud when you're miking jazz drums ambiently, the drummer is playing them too loud (or the other drums too soft).
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

Most "average" drummers play the hats (often cymbals too) WAY too loud relative to the rest of the kit. On a couple of occasions I had some guys play with a thin stick for the hat and a fat one for the snare. Of course if the song has a ride section then it gets real ****ed up.
Time to call the "non-disclosure replacement drummer"!!! :eek:
Old 16th November 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
Of course if the song has a ride section then it gets real ****ed up.
Not if you have a spot mic on the ride. I'm probably doing an album next month with an ok drummer who has his ride placed really really low. About 2" off the floor tom. His crashes (2) are way up over the rack tom and he plays a four piece. They did a song for a comp with me last year and I had to put a mic on the ride for the 2nd or 3rd time ever. I caught one of their shows a few weeks ago when we started talking about doing a full length and it hasn't changed. At least he keeps good time.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

You're right but I prefer not to have to add a ride mic. BTW, one of those hat/crash banger, just to make my life more miserable was barely touching the ride when he switched to it... Go figure!?!
Old 16th November 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs

Not if you have a spot mic on the ride. I'm probably doing an album next month with an ok drummer who has his ride placed really really low.
One of the drummers I work with a regularly puts his ride way up, angled greatly, and above the second rack tom. He told me he learned the placement from Steve Gadd: when there's about 30 seconds to get drum sounds on a jingle date, the engineers always wanted him to hit his crash cymbals, and set the overhead levels for them. By putting the ride up so high (actually the top edge of the ride may be higher then the crashes), he can be sure that the ride will make it onto tape.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

Dave,
WHat a GREAT tip!!! When doing session work I always try to give the client what they want / need as quickly as possible, and this is a great trick for getting balance from all of the cymbals fast with basic overhead mic placement. Love it!! Thanks again, carry on TommyD
Old 17th November 2002
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyd
Dave,
WHat a GREAT tip!!! When doing session work I always try to give the client what they want / need as quickly as possible, and this is a great trick for getting balance from all of the cymbals fast with basic overhead mic placement. Love it!! Thanks again, carry on TommyD
It's not me - I got it from Tommy Wells. But I'll look around and see if I've got a picture of the kit with his cymbals set up - that'll show exactly what I mean. Also, you might keep in mind that while this is a really cool thing for a drummer to do, it's not necessarily a great idea to suggest that the drummer on your session change his cymbal set-up for your convenience... It's drummer dependent.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search