The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Funny: Petraeus mics nonfunctional in Congress
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Funny: Petraeus mics nonfunctional in Congress

In an obvious attempt by the Bush administration to further delay the release of more information about the success of the surge in Iraq (just kidding! ), the microphones used by General David Petraeus in the Senate... weren't working. It took them several minutes to get the show up and running.

You can see that CNN covered it here.

Maybe the person responsible has been flogged and now they are in need of a new audio engineer?

Has anyone here ever been responsible for the mics not working on something "big"? Major press conference? Superbowl? etc...
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

haaa, i saw that too.

personally i don't think it's some conspiracy.. just annoying equipment problems.

i went on tour with a band as a stage manager in april and there were CONSTANT problems with the venue's PA systems, cables, monitors.

my favorite part is ,during the break to fix the problem, all you hear is "test...test 1 2 test"
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon View Post

Has anyone here ever been responsible for the mics not working on something "big"? Major press conference? Superbowl? etc...
Not I, but I once took a tour of the audio facilities at Saturday Night Live and the engineer there was asked that very question. He told a story about missing the opening vocal of the musical guest. I had actually seen that show when it aired live and I remember thinking - "oh somebody got fired"

But obviously he didn't.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

I work on lots of TV stuff as a location sound engineer, and when W. came to town a few years ago i was the pool sound mixer for a speech he gave. The presidential feed box is VERY CLEAN! In viewing speeches and other political stuff on TV I have noticed through the years that there is a proportionaly large number of screw ups in both audio and picture on these things, and I can't help but think that they MAY be intentional. When the camera operator changes the aperature on the lens in the middle of the speech, (as happened just the other night) your mind immediately stops focusing on what is being said and is drawn towards the subtle brightening or darkening of the picture. So when W. says something really stupid maybe you don't notice it as much? Another thing I have noticed is that when opposition candidates give a reply (again, just the other night) there is often an audio problem. Like the really irritating 60 cycle buzz that we all heard when the democrat responded.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search