The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
class A class a/b whats the difference
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

class A class a/b whats the difference

Someone asked me this today and I couldnt give them an answer. I was told if something was class A that said something about the components in the preamp. But then I was told NEVE isnt class A at all so I kinda wrote off the difference. What is the difference?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

it's primarily a power amp issue... in a class A amp the transistors/tubes are on full tilt boogie all the time which tends to make them inefficient as hell but sonicly they tend to shine... as opposed to an A/B where one side of the amp is off and the other is biased barely on the 2 sides then alternate for positive/negative going signals also known as a push/pull amp...
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

The "Search" function won't let you search for class A (words need to be 3 characters min.), but if you do it in quotes, you'll find some threads & posts.

"Class A"

or

"Class AB"
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
it's primarily a power amp issue... in a class A amp the transistors/tubes are on full tilt boogie all the time which tends to make them inefficient as hell but sonicly they tend to shine... as opposed to an A/B where one side of the amp is off and the other is biased barely on the 2 sides then alternate for positive/negative going signals also known as a push/pull amp...
The Class A thing is a matter of taste, I personally like a lot of the Neve Class AB more than the Class A for the punch and transient speed they deliver. The richness of a class A amp is nice for other things but give me AB for drums any day.
As for Neve not being Class A that depends on which unit you are using.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Guru

I'd rather not discuss the technical differences between the two here, as there is plenty of excellent material on the web already. If I had to characterize the sound, I'd say that a class A/B amp has a tighter bottom end, and a class A has a more detailed upper mid and clearer highs. I suspect that my experience is less a characteristic of the class and more a characteristic of the amps that I've actually used.

The OP mentioned Neve in their initial posting. I don't really know their schematics well, so I can't say that Neve didn't make a class A/B preamp. However, the main reason for going to A/B is power efficiency, which isn't nearly as much of an issue with a preamp. Even in a guitar amp, it's only the very last stage that would be A/B. Every time a stage is based on a single triode or transistor, that stage will be class A.
Old 14th September 2007

Here are a few threads which discuss the subject

Is a Trident Fleximix pre a class A circuit?

Class-A??
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

1.Class A amplifies in the most linear part of the curve and AB does not
2. CLass A always has its transistors open explaining the power consumption and its effeciency wich is low, AB is half open and therefore is more efficient..BUT Class A does not have any cross distortion while AB has some, and B has a lot more
3. CLAss A has less harmonic distortion (not by definition but a good design does)

colour and performance of both depends on the components and design, enouf CLAss A have tight bottems etc , but this we already knew
all depends a bit of expereince people had with both classes to describe characteristics i guess

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search