The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AKG 451 on vocals? Condenser Microphones
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

AKG 451 on vocals?

What do you guys think of the 451 as a vocal mic? Does it have enough vibe? Enough intimacy? This is a big room with a high ceiling and wood floors. I kinda like the sound.

http://www.flatpick-l.org/tonytab/train.wav
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

If you want to try this you might want to check out the CK5 capsule! That's what it was designed for. Basically a CK1 with wire mesh pop protection.

bp
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
"Holiday" and several other Madonna tracks from that era were done with a 451.....up above the head, 45 degree angle. With the screen.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I find it a bit searing on vox sometimes, but it really works well with some singers. My 451 seems a bit darker than other SD condensers, like 184s and Oktavas, whic is maybe why I like it on voices and hi hats moreso than other SD condensers.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

If you're going to sing in a room like that with a lot of slap echo, you may get better results using a mic less bright. The high end bump will only emphasis the echo on your vocals. Though it does sound good on guitar. Sometimes I tend to use rooms with more breathing space for acoustic to enhance the bigness, a dry room can really make an acoustic sound... boring. You may want to try to get a Red R7 for the little guy for vocal use. Would help immensely in those large untreated rooms.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm using the Akg 451 EB with the CK1 capsule with a singer these days. He has a Cat Stevens kind of voice and it works very well for him. We tried the Gefell M990 also, and suited it great too, but I found the 451 working better with his voice and the acoustic guitar in the mix together.
Old 9th February 2019
Gear Maniac
After a rather long search, I found the 451 E was my fave for acoustic guitar. Beat out a nice KM84 among others. Then I tried singing into a 451. I give every mic a shot at this. It is the most effortlessly great vocal tone for my voice! Dang! I wonder if I'll ever go back to the U87 . . .
Old 9th February 2019
Lives for gear

I was using 451b as overdub mic for vocals recorded with Sm7b - filled highs really nice giving the vocals presence while remaining mid-forward with Sm7b. Don't know about older 451 mics but I wouldn't use newer one as a main vocal mic because mic is very bright with not much presence in low mids.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search