The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-1 Plugins - What should be the next plugin? Equalisers (HW)
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

UAD-1 Plugins - What should be the next plugin?

So, I guess I realized the true sluttiness of my gear obsession when I was laying in bed this morning thinking about all of the different pieces of gear that I would like to see turned into UAD-1 plugins some day.

Here's some that I came up with. What would you pick if you were in charge and could use any hardware piece ever made?

GML 8200
Manley Massive Passive
EL Distressor
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sontec EQ
real Sidechaining
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Tape emulation

I'd like to see them do something long the lines of the Anamod tape emulation box. Part of the mastering line?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

From the rumors I've read, I think they will doing some Valley People models.

I, for one, am 100% in support of this. I have a rack full of VP gear and I LOVE it. I would really dig some high-quality emulations. UA is probably one of the very few companies i would trust to do it justice!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

I've heard rumors of some SSL stuff, but that's not really THAT surprising.

I wouldn't mind having some more mastering plugins to add to the precision bundle.

I'd also like something geared towards drums like the Duende drumstrip.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Belaboring the point...

I want a Spectra Sonics 610 emulation. But I've gone on record about that before...

The company has responded to the popularity of the vintage units by setting up a website.

- c
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'd actually like to see them introduce more of their own unique designs like the Precision series. I'd like to see a nice modern VCA style compressor that had sidechain filters, adjustable attack/release/ratio, and a wet/dry mix knob. Something that had 8 parameters that would easily map to the encoders of an MCU and could be versatile enough for drums, bass, and most general compression. It's funny because the Voxengo Marquis compressor has a lot of these features I'm describing. But it's an ergonomic mess with too many options.

If they wanted to take it a step further and make it a channel strip then it would be nice to see a transparent look-ahead gate with sidechain filters and a variable phase adjustment knob for IBP-like phase tweaking.

A tape machine emulation would be fun too.

In general I'd like to see more forward-thinking tools from software manufacturers. People need to think beyond what has already been done before. Let's see the classics of the future, please.

Brad
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Sontec EQ
real Sidechaining
The Precision eq is partly based on a Sontec
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Does anyone know if UA is planning to release more fx before the end of the month (when the current promotion ends)? I'm thinking about what they'll do mostly in the context of whether it will change my current ideas about what to do with my vouchers...

I think it would be cool if UA did a bunch of guitar fx pedals, like the Roland chorus they have now. A transient designer, which I have heard rumors about, would be cool too, especially if it's significantly different from the Samplitude Am-Pulse.

I think UA "should" make another reverb, since the 140 is the most consistently praised product they have, and they are unique with it, I think. Another good reverb that doesn't look like a touch screen at the airport (ie real- and dreamverb) - like maybe one of those classic AMS delay boxes would sell well for them.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
Will Shanks told me it was based on a Masselec.

Brad
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

As we all have complained of the lack of card power. Fine they can use the card as a dongle, it would be nice if you only needed one card and after the card is full it will use the host computer for extra power for plugins. I would really like to not use a card for compatability issues because I had to just order the PCi-e version because my pci card doesn't like my new motherboard. New card 499.00 La2a 150.00 because I had the Mackie card and it cam with it. So $650.00 just to get me back to where I am now. I know of the crossgrade promotion but that doesn't cover it.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

No more plugins, just a better card. (Ok, maybe a tape sim then...)

But seriously, the stuff they've already made is just fantastic but the card is a from a different era.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

A motional feeback Keef plugin that sends a nerve impulse down the computer and back to the guitarist playing that makes them slouch in exactly the right fashion, sucks their face cheeks in, lites a ciggie hanging from the corner of their mouth and gives them that looseness, yet totall flexibility, in the right elbow. Thus enabling them to actually put some bump 'n grind into their playing... heh
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

I've had no problems with my cards thus far.
What are the normal problems you guys are experiencing?
(What's wrong with the cards usually?)
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrevolution View Post
I think he means updating the card's processor so it can handle greater and more numerous plug-ins per card. The proc on the current card is a little long in the tooth, as they say.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

HOW ABOUT

HOW ABOUT AN EMULATION FOR A MCI JH400/JH500 SERIES' EQ....
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Nut

Ursa Major Space Station. PLEEEEAASE!! I NEED this.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I dont want more plugs I want to be able to sufficiently use the ones I have. Translation: Work on a new card.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Well it seems logical that they should release the Helios compressor
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe some of the behringer stuff????

not
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think the transient designer would be cool.
Also a tape sim might be interesting.
I think some cool "line6-ish" delays would be awesome too.
A compressor with a wet/dry mix would be really handy too.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

So it's looking like we got...

Tape Simulation
Transient Designer
More Guitar Effects

What about this...
I was thinking what if someone could come out with a virtual console kinda like a plugin, but you fake "wire" tracks into a big mixer from your DAW like you would into a real board that comes up on the screen, like an API 1604 or an SSL Duality, and it gives you those flavors and compression/eq.

It'd be like mixing on a console in the box...weird.
Obviously a plugin/program like that would be pretty expensive, but it'd be eyecandy for sure.

Yeah, I definitely think about this stuff too much. Forgive me...
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The problem with the pci card is:

AMD Dual-Core CPU (Athlon X2/Opteron) with NVIDIA nForce4 / nForce3 based chipset

Symptom: Choppy Audio, CPU spiking.

Systems may work fine with PCIe audio I/O device
(or FireWire device connected to PCIe>FireWire adapter)
UAD-1 works via Magma expansion chassis
Use Asus A8V series as a possible alternative (Via K8T800/K8T890 chipset)
Issues do not exist with single core systems
Issues do not exist with UAD-1e

I put a firewire pci-e card in and it fixed it for a while but is not cutting it, so I had to buy the pci-e card.

Of course didn't realize this problem when I built my new computer.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I heard a whisper that the future holds some Trident EQs ..
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrevolution View Post
Load balancing.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
Sontec EQ
real Sidechaining
1) I've always thought it would be amazing if they did 'custom' versions of the vintage emulations with added features not found on the originals - such as sidechaining on the compressors. 1176 with a sidechain anyone?

2) An update to Nigel is also long overdue.

3) Moog filterboxes and some classic digital reverbs (PCM60 etc) would be cool.

4) Transient designer / Inflator type plugs.

5) I think this would need a more powerful card but I'd love the Roland thing to continue with a Jupiter8 and some of the other classic Roland synths.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Alan Smart C1/C2. I'f I'm dreaming, I want to dream big.
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
Really? Mmh, when it is its far away imao
Old 17th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
A motional feeback Keef plugin that sends a nerve impulse down the computer and back to the guitarist playing that makes them slouch in exactly the right fashion, sucks their face cheeks in, lites a ciggie hanging from the corner of their mouth and gives them that looseness, yet totall flexibility, in the right elbow. Thus enabling them to actually put some bump 'n grind into their playing... heh
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Now thats funny!

Old 17th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyTart View Post
I dont want more plugs I want to be able to sufficiently use the ones I have. Translation: Work on a new card.
and fix the drivers. I still can't use certain UAD plugs in combination in Wavelab's master section on a stereo mix without the rendering engine hanging a the finish line.

and despite all of the good work by Cakewalk there are still CPU munching issues, and yes I have read all of the suggestions and tried them.

new card + new drivers.....
then maybe we can get the best use out of what we have now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search