The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-1 Plugins - What should be the next plugin? Equalisers (HW)
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

until a new card is released they will see no more money from me....but i am seriously loosing hope. i think they are just not capable of doing this. there orig card was just some modified graphics card - so they never reallly made a design themselves - i guess that they simply can't do it.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

UAD...native! (sudden silence in the thread...)

Seriously, For all I care it only works when u allready have a card, but come on, I carry a quadcore, there are ppl with octacores, and my best ever plugs are limited to (for me) a PCI card??
Plz UAD, u have always been kind for us, give us the power we long for!

ok, I COULD live with a stronger card, but I'm really reluctant on buying 3 more cards to fill up my system, thats just a waste of space and resources.

Pzz
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

I know this is an unpopular take on it, but I really don't have any issues with the cards and their power. I know different people mix differently and/or have different wants and needs. So, I would NEVER presume to tell anyone that they *should* do this or *should* do that.

I just thought I'd offer my opinion (as others have). I have 4 UAD-1 cards with a PCI expansion chassis. I can't remember the last mix I did that had less than 30 tracks. I also can't think of a time that I've run out of horsepower for my UAD-1 plugs. Once I had a load balancing issue that made it difficult to load the 33609 comp. I had to close a bunch of plugs, open the 33609 ,then reopen the plugs. A PITA, for sure, but I still had the power to run it.

Maybe I mix with less plugs than a lot of people. Maybe I do more bussing...who knows. But, I seem to be able to load plugs with impunity. Now, with the latest SONAR drivers, I have no more munching issues and it plays WAY better with my Duende.

If a more powerful card came out, I would buy it (as long as it doesn't require losing any of my current investment. Truthfully, since I have an expansion chasis, i'd be happy to buy a couple more of the existing cards if UAD would tweek their drivers to allow more than 4 cards. THAT limitation is frustrating to me simply because it *seems* artificial (like the crippled track count with PTLE). If I were allowed to run 6 cards, I would...just in case.

As for native...i dunno. If you consider that the PCI cards have a (I believe) 1GHz processor on them, that seems like an awful lot of native processing power, if the correlation = 1-to-1. That is to say, if it requires ~750MHz to run a 33609, then that would be a HUGE chunk for native processors.

I have a dual-core 2.6. That is a cumulative 5.2 GHz. My UAD-1 cards have a cumulative 4GHz. I'd hate to think that I'd eat up 80% of my native processing power running UAD-1 plugs. I LIKE offloading the processing. Between my UAD-1s and my Duende, I have a TON of power to run huge track counts, synths and the odd native plug-ins.

Just my opinion...also perfectly open to my math being flawed, WRT the processing power and toll for UAD DSP vs native...
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrevolution View Post
So it's looking like we got...

Tape Simulation
Transient Designer
More Guitar Effects

What about this...
I was thinking what if someone could come out with a virtual console kinda like a plugin, but you fake "wire" tracks into a big mixer from your DAW like you would into a real board that comes up on the screen, like an API 1604 or an SSL Duality, and it gives you those flavors and compression/eq.

It'd be like mixing on a console in the box...weird.
Obviously a plugin/program like that would be pretty expensive, but it'd be eyecandy for sure.

Yeah, I definitely think about this stuff too much. Forgive me...
I've been preaching this exact idea, a standalone kinda virtual mixer, where you can change the channel options. Like ssl for drums, trident, api, etc Then all you have to do is route your audio app to it.

Something else I'd like to see is a transient designer, or Eventide type delays, pitch, etc etc actually anything eventide I'd buy!
Old 25th September 2007
Gear Addict

what is side-chaining?
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Side-chaining.

A compressor works roughly by splitting the input, sending one half to a device to reduce gain (a photo-resistor in a typical opto comp) and the other half to a device which measures level (an electroluminescent panel or LED in an opto comp). The level-measuring side then causes the gain-reduction side to reduce gain proportionally to the level (in an optical compressor this is handily done by coupling the glows-more-with-more-level ELP to the resists-more-with-more-light photoresistor).

To side-chain, you simply send a signal other than the original input signal to the level measuring side. For example, you might take high-passed version of the input (a popular trick in compressors these days - look at the Germanium Compressor); or, you could use a completely different signal for an effect or to just duck the music when a radio announcer begins talking.

b
Old 3rd November 2011
Here for the gear

I would love to take that MCI JH400-B equalizer sound to my 500 series portable rack ...

Any idea which 500 serie eq module would emulate that beautiful eq??

Thank you very much

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search