The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
About to approach publishers. For the first time ever. Any thoughts or advice?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

About to approach publishers. For the first time ever. Any thoughts or advice?

A song of mine is going to be featured in Mix Rescue in the next print issue of Sound On Sound. It's by no means my best track but it's one alot of people hear and seem to fall in love with. I've also never had a song mixed by a proper pro before so I'm thinking I want to take advantage and approach publishers.

But how?

I'm guessing that a short biog and and an mp3 in an email is the way to go. Or am I wrong? Any pitfalls to avoid? Any tips and thoughts would be great.
Also, any good a good online resource for publishers submission emails (or if you have an inside contact feel free to PM me! I'll buy you a Guinness next time you're in Dublin ;-)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicylime View Post
A song of mine is going to be featured in Mix Rescue in the next print issue of Sound On Sound. It's by no means my best track but it's one alot of people hear and seem to fall in love with. I've also never had a song mixed by a proper pro before so I'm thinking I want to take advantage and approach publishers.

But how?

I'm guessing that a short biog and and an mp3 in an email is the way to go. Or am I wrong? Any pitfalls to avoid? Any tips and thoughts would be great.
Also, any good a good online resource for publishers submission emails (or if you have an inside contact feel free to PM me! I'll buy you a Guinness next time you're in Dublin ;-)
I do not have too much advice here, but if I were the publisher, I'd prefer a link to an MP3, rather than:

A - Risking that the attachment get stripped by the mail server
B - 'Forcing' someone to DL several MB worth of data might not go over too well, depending on the person/day/time/etc
C - If the publisher wants to forward your e-mail to someone else (perhaps better suited for your music or more available), they may be less inclined to forward an attachment, but would be OK with forwarding a link!

Whatever you do, DON'T put the MP3 up on a site that requires you log in or create an account or go through any sort of headache before you can actually hear the song. Preferably, you could just 'float' it somewhere and link directly to it.

I harp on this because I've had past experience with this. I am *just* getting in to publishing, but I've been sent demo's from a lot of local acts once we started *trying* to start our label/publishing company. Nothing frustrates me more than receiving what I've described negatively above.

Just a nuance, I'm sure, but maybe an important one!

Congrats and I wish you the best of luck, sincerely!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Wow congratulations on making it into my monthly bible (SoS ) I wish I could make it into there someday . Sorry that I have no advice on your question but i hope the best for you and your track. I dig the mitch hedberg quote in your signature and i'll look forward to reading your article in SoS thumbsup
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Songlink is a great resource. Just google it to see what it's all about.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicylime View Post

But how?

I'm now a published songwriter but I spent years trying to break in. I learned two major things in the process. The first thing is that cold calling is a waste of time and the second thing is cold sending material is an even bigger waste of time. If you don't already have an attorney or manager or a person on the inside that can get your material heard it's very tricky. You have to have some sort of track record on your own to give yourself "credibility" in their eyes. What you might try to do first is approach music supervisors and try to get some placements and develop a little track record that way through some TV or indie film placements.
Songlink is actually a tip sheet for publishers or songwriters that have thier own publishing companies to approach artists and or labels. One tip sheet that you could use would be New On The Charts because it has TV and film leads and there are usually small budget indie films that are looking for cheap licensing therefore will listen to unkown material and writers. But it's not cheap and you have to decide if it's worth the price for maybe only a handful of useable leads.
Just a few thoughts to maybe consider.

Best of luck!
Tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search