The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making a Pre decision ? Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Making a Pre decision ?

I only need a one channel mic preamp but, I am on a budget. I will be using the pre for vocals and occasionally guitar tracks. I am composing music that sits somewhere between the genres of EBM and industrial if I dare use thes tags.
I am pretty computer based as far as instruments and will be getting a H8000 (potentially using as da/ad interface?) for some hardware flavor.

My question is should I by a single channel mic pre ( I have been eyeballin the true systems p-solo) and use the H8000 converters or buy a package deal, focusrite saffire
which would yeild better results?

If you could give me some other possible scenarios that would be pretty cool.

And one more question I'm not sure if I would want a pre with color or transparency because I have not much experience with audio interfaces except cheapies.
I guess which ever stands out more or probably the kind that sounds better with the h8000 lathered all over it?

I could use some advice from you experienced folks
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Also, art digital mpa and EH 12AY7 have got some good reviews in low end theory?
Whats your take on these.

Also I was things Im going to have alot going on in a mix would tube or solid state fit in to a mix better?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2007
Deleted 86c3d96
I thought a "pre decision" was going to be some Minority Report kind of thing.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Yeah I thought that would be a funny thread title, but so far it isnt working
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

what's your budget? I'd definitely save up and go for quality.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Maniac

$500 hundred is about all I can afford right now but I kind of need something to get through the winter.

What do you think about the pre's Ive listed? I'm thinking I probably going to want a transparent Pre, cause I always have alot of layering going on, it just seem to me that a clearer more transparent pre would be the way to go vs tube warmth?

I'm still looking at the true systems p-solo and art digital mpa, they fit my budget
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

My gut response is keep saving your money. Get to $800-$1000 and then start talking names like Chameleon Labs, A Designs, etc.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi akjl4 wether you are going for a clean goth croon or a distorted texture vocal the true systems p-solo seems like a good choice. The distortion on these EBM industrial tracks are done with plug-ins or dsp so you will be fine there.

I wasn't impressed with the focusrite saffire. It kept futzing up in the shop! Didn't work on the mac and didn't work on the pc. Then when it could be demoed I didn't like the pres. But then I don't like focusrite pres so there you go. This was when I was auditioning soundcards for my laptop and I went with an EMU 1616m. If you are using a desktop then maybe try an EMU 1820m. The pres in my 1616m are more neutral and realistic than the zingy congested focusrite pres which are forward in a bad way IMO.

best,
cortisol
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

GT Brick? Friend of mine has one, his tracks sound pretty good.
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I was looking at the brick it looks to be a good bang for the buck.

One other thing I was wondering was would I get a better/quieter connection choose a mic pre that has digital outs?

I'm planning on running what ever I get into a Eventide H8000fw and then into my daw. Just wondering if the difference would be noticeable using analog or digital outs.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

FMR Really Nice Preamp. You'll get two channels for the dough you've got, and they'll have a tendency to walk all over the other **** in that price range. The DI's sound rather great, too. Oh, and it's got a nifty little insert point on it's backside so you can easily get some RNC or RNLA action happening when you save another coupla bills. Get a rack tray with it, too, so it can sit between your other **** instead of having it constantly be lost under a mountain of rolling papers and track sheets

To complicate things, there's also a pretty handy ditty by Groove Tubes called "The Brick" (which is also my number two choice thus far for what I would love to name my first son). Think of it as a "My First Tube Mic Pre!". This one's got a real good direct in for an instrument, too. Single channel.

Oh, and stay the fvck away from any kind of $500 digital mic pre. You'll thank me later.

A simple search here or anywhere else on the ePlanet would get you any info I missed. Enjoy.
Old 9th November 2007
Here for the gear

Love Hate My Saffire

I use a Saffire Pro 26 and Pro 10. They're not very friendly plug in and go units... I had to spend a good two weeks getting to know the units various bugs and preferences (they're fickle to say the least),, i almost sent them back
That being said... two months later i think they sound better than anything else on the same budget. The pres and convertors are far from boutique but a little better than those in a Digi003, Motu and much better than the cheaper Presonus stuff.

But keep in mind until you learn the system the Saffires will constantly cutoff, crash your DAW software AND maybe your whole system from time to time

for the price I like them...
Old 9th November 2007
Gear Nut

The True Systems Solo would be a good bet, it's a pro quality tool. It's got plenty of headroom and a nice bottom end. Unless you're specifically looking for a bandwidth/headroom constricted sound, I'd run, not walk, away from an ART mic pre.
Old 9th November 2007
Gear Addict

I second the FMR. It's a Really Nice Preamp for around $500. I bought my ME-1NV for $800 used and have been very happy. If I needed more channels I would have gotten one or two of the FMRs. I may still. I also plan on a Chandler Germ so I can have 2 nice channels for mic'ing my amp.

I should add I don't do this for a living or I'd probably have pairs of everything made.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search