The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
First time using an M88... WOW! Dynamic Microphones
Old 13th September 2007

First time using an M88... WOW!

I tested 50 mics today for a friend who bought them. All kinds of Neumanns, AKGs, EV's, 421's, 57's, 441's etc. The Beyerdynamic M88 was SO evil on electric guitars. So evil that I thought of retracking some guitars on my record.

It was an older one, how do the new ones sound?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=J how do the new ones sound?[/QUOTE]

The new ones sound good as well. They don't have that platinum magic though
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I tested 50 mics today for a friend who bought them. All kinds of Neumanns, AKGs, EV's, 421's, 57's, 441's etc. The Beyerdynamic M88 was SO evil on electric guitars. So evil that I thought of retracking some guitars on my record.

It was an older one, how do the new ones sound?
cool. but dude dont recut the guitars just REAMP them and blend.
I have started to always print DI's for situations like this

Beyer is good stuff! I really like the m201 on snare
Old 13th September 2007
Jai guru deva om

Beyerdynamic: The Other German Mic Company

War
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Try it on kick drum. Evil, yep.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
Try it on kick drum. Evil, yep.
Great on toms and bass cab, too!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Another Beyer lover here. The M260 ribbon is another fave on a cab, gives it that fat saturated sound.. mmm. The Beyer-manufactured Revox 3500 (Same as M201, only higher ohm + different grill (if I'm not mistaken)) is great to use in combo for more bite.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

BTW, which is "better" for cabs - the M80 or the M88? I thought the M88 was a bit more vocal orientated.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I bought a M88 recently and didn't like it at all, strange as I really love my M160s, 260, and 201. On kick I much prefered a D-112 (never too close to the beater skin and often with a Sonotube tunnel). On vocals and for a singer that I really thought it could work, the SM7 proofed to be much fuller and crisper sounding.

The one place I got lucky so far was for a fingerpicked steel-string guitar part with a Gibson LG-2. There was a brightness to the M88 track that really worked well but for strummed parts I much prefer a KM 84 or if it's Beyer a 201 or even a M160 with a bit of top EQ added.

FWIW, I sometimes play duo gigs with a singer/blues harp player and it's always a challenge to get through with using a mic on the LG-2. I tried the M88 recently and it was really good and full sounding, so at least I'll keep the M88 for that and experiment some more in the studio.

For what kind of kick sound do you use the M88? I couldn't get the punch and clarity I get with the D-112. (Usually thru a LTD-1 + a bit of 160VU compression)? I know that a lot of folks don't like the D-112 on kick I always came back to it no matter what else I tried (421+ SM7 especially)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have yet to use a beyerdynamic mic that wasn't good. I have some opus drum mics which are just ok, but anything in the main range just sound great to my ears..
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I use the M88 as my main live vocal mic. It's great for my weaker, somewhat 'thin' voice. Then again, a friend with a Johnny Cash-like voice uses the M88 because it really brings out the Cash-ness. It loves lower ranged women's voices as well.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorknocker View Post
I bought a M88 recently and didn't like it at all, strange as I really love my M160s, 260, and 201.

Feel free to send it to me then! heh

M88 is one of my favorite dynamics, especially on bass cabinets. We often drop the bass DI channel completely in favor of the M88 track.

We also have M69 (also quite nice on guitar cabs, or just about anywhere you'd use a 57), a pair of 201 (can't go wrong with these on ANYTHING) as well as a couple pairs of their condensers (MC740 LD, and MC803 and MC930 SDC). It's hard to go wrong with beyerdynamic mics.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

http://www.beyerdynamic.co.uk/datasheets/m88.pdf

Here's the spec sheet for anyone interested.

I've heard only good things about this mic for years, never picked one up... but thinking about it. Somehow my 421s and other LDD mics have always seemed to do the job... of course you can never have enough mics though.

The M88 and RE20 are still on my "Christmas list"... if I could get only one, whaddya think? Which one... for "all-purpose" use?

I'm not concerned about the client "wow factor"... the RE20 certainly has more "wow factor" because it's larger and so recognizable... but I'm only concerned with sonic performance and versatility.

Though I just realized... the M88 is a hyper and the RE20 is a regular cardioid... I tend to prefer hypers and supers for good isolation, especially when on a drum kit, etc.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

best Tom sound I ever heard was an M88! Not that I've heard a trillion toms you understand, but I was impressed!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've also had a complete revelation recently when a friend loaned me pair of MC740's. Oh my god what a cool mic.

J
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got a used one from a P.A. Co. the other day and have only tried it on gtr. cabs so far.
I think it's perfect for those times when a 57 or a Sennheiser is too edgy and a 121 too tame in the highs.
When you get really close to the speaker (about 1 inch or even less) it's got these huge lowmids, yet they don't get muddy: a big, punchy, transparent "kah-runkkh" and no "fizzle".
I'm only starting to discover the vast variety of sounds available from dynamic mics, and it's great!
Old 13th September 2007
Its a great bass drum mic too

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search