The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Music Production Toolkit Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Music Production Toolkit

Hi I recently purchased a second hand mbox 2 pro and now I want to expand a bit the features of the protools, so I was looking for that expansion kit, and I saw that it is about 450 dollars.
I don´t want to be a pirate so I will purchase it, but I found a very strange shop that offers it for 250 dollars, it is 200 dollars less.
Well anyone knows anything about that shop??? Is legal??? is a fraud??? it is so cheap to be real.

Music Production Toolkit by Digidesign at Academic Superstore
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

It's legit, but you have to be a student...also, academic versions often have limitations when it comes to upgrades...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

ok, I´m an university student, is it enough for pay less??'
About the reduced versions there are some software like Matlab that are so close the full version and the student version. Full version is 2000 dollars and student is 100, it is needed to demostrate you are student
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrecords View Post
Hi I recently purchased a second hand mbox 2 pro and now I want to expand a bit the features of the protools, so I was looking for that expansion kit, and I saw that it is about 450 dollars.
I don´t want to be a pirate so I will purchase it, but I found a very strange shop that offers it for 250 dollars, it is 200 dollars less.
Well anyone knows anything about that shop??? Is legal??? is a fraud??? it is so cheap to be real.

Music Production Toolkit by Digidesign at Academic Superstore
Seems like they're only offering that deal to the institutions themselves, not students, faculty, or staff. There's an "eligibility" chart and it says no for students, faculty, and staff. Kind of strange, though, because I've never seen this kind of limitation on an academic package before.

Cheers,
--
Don
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

yes I checked the website, it´s only for universities and such infraestructures, so it seems that I will pay all the 450 dollars :(
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Befor you do try Alto Music in NY. That's where I got mine. I think I paid $399. Alto Music
You could try Evilbay as well.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

none of these PT expansions or toolkits offer Vocalign, right? i seem to remember at one time they did? maybe im just thinking of something else...vocalign is just so damn expensive
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

399$? and the shipment and import taxes??' how much?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Shipping was free. It's in New York, NY. Are you not in the USA? Look at this too DIGIDESIGN MUSIC PRODUCTION TOOLKIT TOOL KIT! NEW INBOX - (eBay item 260158931457 end time Sep-17-07 12:44:37 PDT)
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

No I´m from Spain, Europe, for that reason I asked about shipment and broker fees
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm5k View Post
none of these PT expansions or toolkits offer Vocalign, right? i seem to remember at one time they did? maybe im just thinking of something else...vocalign is just so damn expensive
the DVkit has vocalign i think.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
that is correct
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

yes the vocaling is for ADR ( automatic dialog replacement ) very useful for voice track in other languages for example on cinema. But noy very useful if you are recording music, ummmm unless you are producing Paulina Rubio
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yes the vocaling is for ADR ( automatic dialog replacement ) very useful for voice track in other languages for example on cinema. But noy very useful if you are recording music, ummmm unless you are producing Paulina Rubio
Try it on backing vocals, you'll be surprised! thumbsup
Old 25th July 2009
Lives for gear

Good tip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespiz View Post
Try it on backing vocals, you'll be surprised! thumbsup
Old 25th July 2009

Quote:
ok, I´m an university student, is it enough for pay less??'
About the reduced versions there are some software like Matlab that are so close the full version and the student version. Full version is 2000 dollars and student is 100, it is needed to demostrate you are student
Music Production Toolkit retail is NOT 2000 dollars it's $395.00
Old 25th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Music Production Toolkit retail is NOT 2000 dollars it's $395.00
I think he's talking about Matlab.....
Old 25th July 2009
Quote:
Or doing tight pop/rap where doubles are needed to be ultra tight.
Old 25th July 2009
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropblacksky View Post
It's legit, but you have to be a student...also, academic versions often have limitations when it comes to upgrades...
I bought PT m -powered off ebay brand new for a little over a hundred bucks, it said you have to be a studet, I am NOT a stdent and I got it anyway..they never asked me for nothing!!
Old 26th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by idylldon View Post
Seems like they're only offering that deal to the institutions themselves, not students, faculty, or staff. There's an "eligibility" chart and it says no for students, faculty, and staff. Kind of strange, though, because I've never seen this kind of limitation on an academic package before.

Cheers,
--
Don
That's the ripoffs at Digidesign for ya - "academic" package that they won't sell to students.

Yet another reason not to use SchmoeTools!
Old 26th July 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
The DV Toolkit no longer comes with Vocalign. It used to, but that stopped with PT8 and the new Toolkit options.
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

you should be able to get the track expansion and the multi beat detective asset for 150 dollars or so. Ask around.
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Not to hijack a thread but why would anyone pay $400 dollars for such little additions to an already crippled DAW?

Look what you can get in Logic Express 9 for only $199. This blows away PTLE for hundreds cheaper!!
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

just what we need. ANOTHER PT sucks, nothing good was ever recorded on LE thread
Old 26th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxd Ped View Post
The DV Toolkit no longer comes with Vocalign. It used to, but that stopped with PT8 and the new Toolkit options.
two years ago when that was originally posted it did!
Old 26th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
just what we need. ANOTHER PT sucks, nothing good was ever recorded on LE thread
I don't think PTLE sucks, in fact I own a 003r and use it quite often. I was just trying to make a point that it is so ridiculous that Digi charges such outrageous fees for features that readily come in DAW's for half the price.
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Robb View Post
Not to hijack a thread but why would anyone pay $400 dollars for such little additions to an already crippled DAW?

Look what you can get in Logic Express 9 for only $199. This blows away PTLE for hundreds cheaper!!
I paid 199 euros for the MPT 1 last week, and after registering got a free amnesty upgrade to MPT 2 from Digi. Add that to the price of PT8 m-powered, and I'm still under Logic pro value. All the new VI's an plugins in PT8 + the stuff in MPT 1 and 2 makes both very similar on that count.

Busses, Audio tracks and PDC still need a bump. I'm sure the first two will trickle down from the CPT to a future MPT and on the subject of ADC there are at least some official DIGI statements in the past few months that could make us hopeful. And there is still ATA which is a workaround, but 100% accurate. Something that PDC can never be.
Old 3rd August 2009
Quote:
I don't think PTLE sucks, in fact I own a 003r and use it quite often. I was just trying to make a point that it is so ridiculous that Digi charges such outrageous fees for features that readily come in DAW's for half the price.
you're an idiot if you pay the full price for any plugin though...toolkit is no exception.
Old 3rd August 2009

Quote:
I guess if that statement was true nobody would buy Protools LE
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
you're an idiot if you pay the full price for any plugin though...toolkit is no exception.
Nicely said

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search