The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Second Trident 4T, or new Trident S20? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Second Trident 4T, or new Trident S20?

I owned a Trident S20, dual mic pre for a little while. I returned it because there was another piece I needed more urgently at the time. I am in a position to buy it back now, but I've started thinking...(cue dreamy harp music and wavy 'dream-vision')

For the same price, I could buy myself a second Trident 4T channel strip.

Pros -

- very useful EQ
- useful compressor
- really cool 'magic' knob on DI that sounds great...especially on synths/keyboards
- funky, +10 stereo ins and outs (via RCA) - comes in very handy when used with outboard consumer gear, such as a cassette deck or an iPod.

Cons

- One less preamp, leaving me with a 'piddly' 2 channels, instead of 3!

These units are not talked about too much on these forums, but I think they are a steal. They retail for US $1000. I can get mine locally for, brand new for ~$700 after only a small bit of haggling. Either one of these units, for $700 is a REALLY good deal. I have preamps/channel-strips that cost 2 and 3 times that much, but they don't sound twice or 3 times better. I REALLY like the ways these preamps sound! Very smooth, yet thick and British...like a poor mans SSL.

I've wanted another channel or 2 for a while. At 1st I was set on the S20. I was thinking strictly numbers. Now, I'm thinking...'do I need/want more than 2?', and 'maybe it would be nice to have another instance of the EQ, compressor and 'magic' dial.

What would *you* do in my situation. I really am just looking for opinions and meanderings. This is a exercise of meaningless mental masturbation on your part

PS - I'm not interested in any other/different preamps for this particular purchase. I really do want to make it so I have more than 1 of the same Trident preamp (as if it isn't obvious - The 4T and the S20 share the same mic pre module).

Thanks!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

No one wants to play?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

It might be nice to have 2 channels of the 4T but it really depends on what YOU need.

Not much help, huh.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'll play.

I use my (single) 4T for everything possible. I'm a simple PTLE guy and the Oram sound gives my stuff some character. I fell into the Trident as a used piece knowing nothing about it.

I do believe that I would get another.....I have no problem using the same pre sound on all of the material on a project but you will certainly get some differing opinions on that.

I'd go for another 4T over the S20......gotta love that dynamics section and the sound of the EQ section and, as you mentioned, the 'Magic EQ'.

I LOVE the sound of my bass tracks DI'd through 4T!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IzovAge View Post
It might be nice to have 2 channels of the 4T but it really depends on what YOU need.

Not much help, huh.
Thanks for the reply! I'm really just seeking opinions (helpful or not).

I am leaning towards the 4T because of the number of features, compared to the S20.

If I didn't already have one, I might be more inclined to get the S20, as I am a real stickler about having preamps in pairs (or more). But...

Thanks again!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

pm'd you on a trident s20. if you decide to go for one. i have one for sale ($600 shipped)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhopefield View Post
pm'd you on a trident s20. if you decide to go for one. i have one for sale ($600 shipped)
I just read that. I really appreciate the offer. In the end. I decided to go with the 4T. I just spoke with my dealer and I can get it for $647, bnib. Thats pretty tough to beat. I pay tax on that, but no shipping. A little more than what you offered (good deal, BTW, you should be able to sell it pretty easily), but I really want the 2nd channel strip. Once I considered further, I realized there really was no contest.

I'm glad I started this thread. It made me think a lot harder about it, which made it very clear what the better choice was for me. I mean, the EQ and compressor really do sound very, very good...plus stereo line inputs and stereo outputs and the DI Magic knob...its a no-brainer.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

no problem. i'll definitely have to look into trying out the 4t.
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

$647??

$647 FOR A BRAND NEW TRIDENT? I NEED ONE ASAP. WHERE DID U BUY?
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT View Post
$647 FOR A BRAND NEW TRIDENT? I NEED ONE ASAP. WHERE DID U BUY?
I am already speaking to my dealer for another GS member. The problem is, that was his last one. I still have not received an answer as to whether he would extend the offer to others. I work closely with this guy and I spend a lot of money with him He gives me very deep discounts on a lot of stuff.

I'll see what I can do...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search