The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADK A-48 Opinions? Channel Strips
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

ADK A-48 Opinions?

I posted this in low end theory, but didn't get any bites so...

Does anybody have experience with these? I didn't even know they were being made until I stumbled upon one on Ebay looking for something else.

Looks like ADK's loose interpretation of a U 47.

Chime in with opinions please. These mics have peaked my interest. I want a Hamburg, I may have to add this to the list!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I owned an A48 for a long time, bought when they first came out. For some female singers it could be excellent, when matched with the right preamp. Vintech X73i worked well, especially with a little EQ.

The mic is pretty bright and airy, but in a nice way for those singers. I usually kept it in wide-cardioid pattern. Could get on top of it without proximity boom. I did not care for it on instruments, unless you just want that lift. For male singers it could go either way depending on the song and voice, again might need some EQ. Typically was not my top pick there.

I finally sold it in favor of mics with a little more midrange character, but could still probably use it occasionally if I had it.

Steve
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

My honest opinion:

The worst microphone I have ever tried. Bright, harsh, not in any way flattering, very uneven frequency response, and extremely bad QC.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search