The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
anyone dig audiotronix boards? Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

anyone dig audiotronix boards?

am looking at a small 6-channel audiotronix mixer.
i don't want it as a main board, but for the pres.
i'm always looking for those old school flavors.

any info would be great, i've searched prodigy pro, tape op bulletin boards, etc, and there's not much turning up.

thanks in advance,

steven walcott
Engine Studios
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

In Short:

Run away as fast as you can!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Try searching for "auditronics". this will help.

I have an auditronics 501 board and It is quite nice. The EQ is where it really shines.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

It's "Auditronics", lot's of different models covering different periods. The 501 "Son of 36 Grand" and 110 "Grandson" were the first Auditronics consoles, designed from the ground up inhouse. The "Son" designations were a result of the original Spectrasonics consoles that Auditronics manufactured for Spectrasonics and sold for $36K base. These original Spectrasonics consoles were installed at Stax and Ardent in Memphis, I had a second hand one from Sound Techniques in Dallas (20 in/8 Buss/16 monitor/3-band stepped EQ, wish I had it back, know where it is though). The 501 was pretty popular in itself with one of the Record Plant facilities in CA getting one of the first ones, I believe it saw it's later days in one of thier remote trucks. One of the later consoles they made was a 701 series of which I know little about other than it was 32+ inputs and 16-24 busses. My Dad went to work for Auditronics in '69-70 and I pretty much grew up around the place. Billy Gibbons was supposedly very fond of the 26 input/3-band Spectrasonics/Auditronics that Ardent had in studio "A". Lots of ZZ's stuff was done on these boards until Ardent opened up studio "C" and the MCI 500 series went in there, also bunches of "Kick Butt/Take Names" R&B done on 'em: Staple Singers, Detroit Emeralds, ect... In later days Auditronics went to broadcast equipment, cart machines, on-air consoles, ect.. as the margins were a lot higher and R&D was shorter/cheaper. The older the stuff is the cooler it is. Hope this helps.

The EQ on the 501 is pretty hip, even though limited: 4 bands/2 freqs per band. I have the prototype for the PEQ-82, which is the 2 channel rack mount version of the 501 EQs. (It ain't fer sale)
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

WOW! Sugarnutz!!!!

The very Audiotronics that you got from Sound Techniques was the first real console I ever touched and recorded through!

Sound Techniques in Dallas, TX was owned by Skip Frazee and he taught the local RIAA recording course there.
In 1975 my band was the band they recorded.
I have only an out-take vocal track of me singing 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson) from that session , BUT I HAVE PICS!
Unfortunately, you can't really see the console in any of the pics.
You can see the Scully 16 track and the outboard rack in the control and a lot of the actual studio room (which was quite large!)

As it turns out, my thirteeen year-old daughter is friends with Skip Frazee's grand daughter! They are in seventh grade together.

I see Skip every great once in a while.

Speaking of "wish I had it back"....

In about 1976 I had a studio that had a UA 16 x 3 all tube console.
We moved from that location in 1979 and sold the whole gear package including the UA. I REALLY wish I knew where that UA went. I heard Arkansas, but I lost track of it years ago.
We bought a Sphere Eclipse C which is another console I owned, sold and wish I still had! I have some mic pres and EQs from it racked up though.

I have a MCI 538c that I am restoring in my garage and I plan to try to hang on to it.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
WOW! Sugarnutz!!!!

The very Audiotronics that you got from Sound Techniques was the first real console I ever touched and recorded through!

Sound Techniques in Dallas, TX was owned by Skip Frazee and he taught the local RIAA recording course there.
In 1975 my band was the band they recorded.
I have only an out-take vocal track of me singing 21st Century Schizoid Man (King Crimson) from that session , BUT I HAVE PICS!
Unfortunately, you can't really see the console in any of the pics.
You can see the Scully 16 track and the outboard rack in the control and a lot of the actual studio room (which was quite large!)

As it turns out, my thirteeen year-old daughter is friends with Skip Frazee's grand daughter! They are in seventh grade together.

I see Skip every great once in a while.

Speaking of "wish I had it back"....

In about 1976 I had a studio that had a UA 16 x 3 all tube console.
We moved from that location in 1979 and sold the whole gear package including the UA. I REALLY wish I knew where that UA went. I heard Arkansas, but I lost track of it years ago.
We bought a Sphere Eclipse C which is another console I owned, sold and wish I still had! I have some mic pres and EQs from it racked up though.

I have a MCI 538c that I am restoring in my garage and I plan to try to hang on to it.
Welton Jetton and Steve Sage (the owners of Auditronics) were the actual owners of Sound Techniques in Dallas and I am not sure of the extent of Skip's involvement other than that he ran the place and we used to do all his mastering. When Sound Techniques closed, Steve and Welton were worried about all the gear sitting there and told my Dad & I that we could have all the gear there and use it as long as we liked for free, if we just went to Dallas and picked it up. Too good a deal to pass on, rented a U-Haul truck and started driving. I got the console, the 16-track Scully, two-track, all of it. Made some good sounding records on that gear. Tell Skip that Howard Craft (my Dad) sez "Hi".
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Now that is interesting stuff to learn!

I guess that Skip was just hired to engineer/run the place?
He was kinda' THE GUY in those days.
His "footprint" is everywhere here.
He came from the PAMs crowd I believe.

I never knew why that room closed down.
I was part of another "crowd" and didn't work at Sound Techniques.

The Audiotronics/ Memphis connection in Dallas makes sense because the Pepper/Tanner (Memphis) guys had big presence here doing jingles. I guess that they wanted to go head to head with PAMs because PAMs had the market cornered for sure.

I recall that they did the scoring for all of Joe Camp's movies like "Benjie" and other Dallas based films at Sound Techniques.

The room I worked out of for years as Real to Reel was originally built by/for Pepper/Tanner.
I have the blueprint for the room in a file and it says: Pepper Sound on it.
I think the room was built in 1962.
Real to Reel used the room from 1977 until 2002 and the place is still intact.
Today it is a company that sells bottled water to mexican people.
I went and looked at the space a few months back.
It was/is a GREAT little room!
The parking spots still have "Pepper Tanner Sound" stenciled in paint, but it is quite faint.
Old 13th September 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

The first studio I worked at had a 32 channel Auditronics. It must have been one of the latter models, I don't remember it being limited in any way, eq, or bussing. Most of the rock projects that the studio saw went into that room, because it was more well suited for that than the rooms with the V3's. (seemed to be the consensus at the time.)
Old 19th April 2011
Gear Addict

I hate to dig out a 4 year old thread and all, but there is a company called 'audiotronix.' Does anyone know anything about them. Not audiotronics, which sort of jacked this thread.

Audiotronix 6300, 6 Channel Mixer, Rare Vintage 70s | eBay
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

hi sugarnutz:i have some 532 channels and need schematics bill [email protected] any he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
It's "Auditronics", lot's of different models covering different periods. The 501 "Son of 36 Grand" and 110 "Grandson" were the first Auditronics consoles, designed from the ground up inhouse. The "Son" designations were a result of the original Spectrasonics consoles that Auditronics manufactured for Spectrasonics and sold for $36K base. These original Spectrasonics consoles were installed at Stax and Ardent in Memphis, I had a second hand one from Sound Techniques in Dallas (20 in/8 Buss/16 monitor/3-band stepped EQ, wish I had it back, know where it is though). The 501 was pretty popular in itself with one of the Record Plant facilities in CA getting one of the first ones, I believe it saw it's later days in one of thier remote trucks. One of the later consoles they made was a 701 series of which I know little about other than it was 32+ inputs and 16-24 busses. My Dad went to work for Auditronics in '69-70 and I pretty much grew up around the place. Billy Gibbons was supposedly very fond of the 26 input/3-band Spectrasonics/Auditronics that Ardent had in studio "A". Lots of ZZ's stuff was done on these boards until Ardent opened up studio "C" and the MCI 500 series went in there, also bunches of "Kick Butt/Take Names" R&B done on 'em: Staple Singers, Detroit Emeralds, ect... In later days Auditronics went to broadcast equipment, cart machines, on-air consoles, ect.. as the margins were a lot higher and R&D was shorter/cheaper. The older the stuff is the cooler it is. Hope this helps.

The EQ on the 501 is pretty hip, even though limited: 4 bands/2 freqs per band. I have the prototype for the PEQ-82, which is the 2 channel rack mount version of the 501 EQs. (It ain't fer sale)
Old 5th June 2012
Here for the gear

hi sugarnutz:billg here,i have some audiotronics 532 channel cards:need schematics as i'm trying to get these working.any help would be helpfull.e-mail [email protected] in advance billg
audiolabs
Old 19th July 2012
Here for the gear

hi sugermutz:wilmot @audiolabs:by chance wuld ur dad have any info or schematic of auditronix 532 ima inout channel card :trying to get these working,just for the eq section.not shure how to seprate and re wire as a standalone eq::: help please..thanks wilmot(billg)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search