The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FAKE SHURE SM57'S (including pics) Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
that would really piss me off!
but what is the lesson?
buy from a reputable dear that is authorized to sale the product you are looking to buy.
Our studio bought several 58s from a most reputable dealer.
When we tried to register the warranty with Shure we came unstuck.
Contacted the dealer who took them back asap, no questions asked, and sent back his whole shipment, to the USA.

The Chinese fraudsters used established USA distrib to launder the crap to the rest of the world.

To the supplier's credit, he was so humbled when he met us, he'd been stung badly on a bread and butter item and needed the cashflow to get the real item on the shelves quick smart. You can't say you don't have a new 57 or 58 ready for delivery, can you? I mean, who has the time to check each and every box delivered when you supposedly spent >20 years dealing with a trusted overseas supplier?

It's a massive problem and is usually small items that get under the radar.
It's completely up to us.
If a seller has a no returns policy on ebay items that's a massive red flag for me.
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Nut

Here's a company that makes "OEM" Shure, Sennheiser, JBL, AKG mics among a wide variety of pro audio counterfeit gear

????????---PRO- AUDIO????????????????

and another
ENPING XING YANG Audio Manufacture Factory_
Old 28th December 2011
Gear Nut

Here's a company that makes "OEM" Shure, Sennheiser, JBL, AKG mics among a wide variety of pro audio counterfeit gear

????????---PRO- AUDIO????????????????

and another
ENPING XING YANG Audio Manufacture Factory_
Old 27th November 2012
Here for the gear

I have 3 SM57's. Unfortuneatly for me 2 of the 3 are fake. F%&K!!!! I hate underhanded people on eBay. I'm going to try to sell them. I'll pricethem as fakes and take the hit on the price. F%&K am I mad.........
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

My 2 SM57's look very similar to the OP's pictures of "fakes". I am not so sure that the visual differences are signs of a fake though... These mics have been produced for a long time and there are bound to be production differences.

Mine have the smaller crap bag instead of the nicer large ones. Mine have the stepped down look and the second hole at the XLR plug, however (unlike the OP's) they do have all 3 pins labeled and "SHURE" is printed below pin 3 as it should be.

Also, the brand name is spelled "SHORE" and the chinese symbol for wave is next to it... (ok that part was a joke)

I guess I will give mine the impedance test when I get the time. It is not worth cracking them open and calling Shure considering that they are rarely used and pretty much kept around to round out a mic collection.

Of course... I am no snob. If mine do turn out to be fake, the "authenic 57s" would have to win a shootout before I am willing to trade out!
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Addict

I got scammed on 4 57s, too. Lame. Should have known it was too good to be true. I had never heard of fakes until after I bought them. haha. I thought that I was screwing the person selling them. haha. Kind of funny in retrospect.

What's not funny is a guy I know who recently said he bought a U87 off ebay and it was completely empty. Literally nothing inside it. Just the shell. Yikes!
Old 2nd May 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoot View Post
What's not funny is a guy I know who recently said he bought a U87 off ebay and it was completely empty. Literally nothing inside it. Just the shell. Yikes!
but how did it sound?
Old 2nd May 2013
Lives for gear

I am betting it sounded a bit hollow in the mids.
Old 5th May 2013
I have an old 70's (?) Unidyne III 57, and 3 newer ones from GC.

I haven't seen anyone mention the WORDING inside the XLR jacks. I don't know what a fake one would say, but my Unidyne says "Switchcraft" in there, and my newer 57's ALL say "SHURE" inside there. Seems like the unbranded chinese stuff wouldn't have that "shure" inside there, so that might be another tip-off for a fake.

Can anyone with a fake verify that?
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

I am getting paranoid.

Could it be that Sweetwater or any of the other big sellers like MF sell fake SM57?
Look at the box.

Shure SM57 | Sweetwater.com
Old 24th May 2013
eb7
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubgoat View Post
I haven't seen anyone mention the WORDING inside the XLR jacks. ...my newer 57's ALL say "SHURE" inside there. Seems like the unbranded chinese stuff wouldn't have that "shure" inside there, so that might be another tip-off for a fake.

Can anyone with a fake verify that?
My fake 57 says "Shure" right under the third pin. They seem to keep improving their methods and making them more convincing. The best way to check is to look inside.
Old 27th May 2013
500 series nutjob

I do not believe sweetwater would be sell fake sm57s. they are a sure dealer it would not be in their best interest.
nope i bet not: )~
Old 30th December 2013
Here for the gear

I used SM57s for snare back in the day, mic of choice for the top skin both studio and stage. Agree Beyer 201s are tops for toms.

Am rebuilding mic stock because we are about to embark on a heritage recording project. You see, our band never did make a record in the 70s when we were active, and now intend to set the record pardon the pun straight.

Anyway I have rebought a couple of mint 57s for around $100 of your US dollars each, and a copy SM57 out of curiosity for $25 off ebay. Not so bothered about 201 as I feel the bulk of our kit sound will come from overheads and a front MS valve pair. I have also a few loudspeakers to try out on the kick....

Will be interesting to compare copy and original 57. Always liked UNI III and always hated UNI B BTW
Old 31st December 2013
Gear Guru

Just caught this thread for the 1st time, BRAVO!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Ok, having read through this thread a number of times it appears that there are conflicting opinions regarding the physical appearance of the fake SM57's, some say that they have fakes that feature the green and yellow wiring, others say that their fakes have the numbering on the XLR connection etc and others claim that even the legit 57's can feature either 2 or 3 holes at its based depending on the year of production.

So what is the definitive consensus on how to detect a fake SM57?
Is the most effective way to find out by weighing them?
Old 5th July 2014
Here for the gear

I just received my two SM57's and are unsure if they are genuine or not. The seller on Ebay seems legit with no negative feedback and claims them to be real.

They are quite heavy, and looks real to me. I even open and found the green and yellow wiring. I didn't want to disassemble it further in fright of breaking any wiring.

The one thing that got me a little curious was the logo on the head of the mic. It has this registered trademark (r) after it. I don't think I have ever seen it on a SM57 before. Anyone has a real one with the registered trademark symbol after the logo?
Old 5th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iudex View Post
I just received my two SM57's and are unsure if they are genuine or not. The seller on Ebay seems legit with no negative feedback and claims them to be real.

They are quite heavy, and looks real to me. I even open and found the green and yellow wiring. I didn't want to disassemble it further in fright of breaking any wiring.

The one thing that got me a little curious was the logo on the head of the mic. It has this registered trademark (r) after it. I don't think I have ever seen it on a SM57 before. Anyone has a real one with the registered trademark symbol after the logo?
Yes, there's a (R) after that SHURE logo. (I've one real 57 on the table while i'm writing this)
Old 7th July 2014
Here for the gear

So is there any way to identify the original from counterfeit?
Old 18th October 2014
Here for the gear
Updated video that I made on a few ways to detect a fake shure sm57 microphone. Enjoy and let me know what you think thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKsGfzQ1ZDk
Old 23rd September 2015
Gear Head

I just bought one off Ebay but the listing says it was a "DM57." I mean, it was obvious that it was just a generic version of an SM57, so I wasn't really expecting it to be just like the real thing. Even the pics showed that it looked SLIGHTLY different from a real Shure, and the label said "DM57." It was only 30 bucks. I figured I'd use it to mic the bottom of the snare if it didn't sound that great.

When I got it I noticed the clip and the leather bag said "Shure" on it. I chuckled sensibly.
Then I open the bag and take the mic out and of course it says "Shure SM57." Really? The ebay listing made it look like I was just getting a copy, but not a straight up counterfeit.
I unscrew the mic and it looks like there's no transformer inside.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search