The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FAKE SHURE SM57'S (including pics) Dynamic Microphones
Old 16th October 2008
Gear Maniac

I've seen those mics on ebay, and I suspected from the cheap price. I even went to shure website to see if they had a new 57 more affordable version, due to the low price showing on ebay.

After some months a friend of mine got one of those microphones. We opened it , and after removing the resin/glue we found the chinese paper, and also the transformer bobin without wire.
The wires also, were not yellow and green , like with the original 57 and 58.

So things to look for are:

-How much does it weight?

-Does it have a transformer? is the output balanced?

-Colour of the wires attaching from the bottom part(XLR) to the upper part(diaphragm) , they should be green and yellow

Im pretty shure that the fake mics are the same as sold with the Tbone and Fame brands.
Old 16th October 2008
Gear Addict

I got caught with the same scam. The seller I bought off though wasn't even aware his account had been used to sell fake items.

If the deal looks too good to be true, it almost definately is as far as new SM57's are concerned.
Old 30th November 2008
Tim
Gear Addict

Leather?
Old 30th November 2008
Lives for gear

Here's a FREE DIY mod for the ES-58 (et al) mics floating around that are imitation SM-58s. Allows you to tune or eliminate the presence boost built into these mics. Happy Holidays! best, M
Old 30th November 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs View Post
Wow. CraZy.

So you said that you bought these from a local dealer? Where did THEY get them from?!?
It's not hard. Try googling on "sm57 wholesale china" or "sm57hot selling"
here's just two of dozens of results.
Hot selling!!Free shipping SM57 microphone mic brand new in box SM57LC 10pcs retail box SM57 LC 1786227 China Wholesale 2008-11-30 11:23:55

China wholesale+ freeshipping NEWEST SM 57 S Vocal Microphone Mic (20piece / lot).HOT SELLING on TradeTang.com

Another clue posted by many folk on other forums is that Shure ALWAYS use yellow and green wires from the capsule to the body. Fakes apparently have red/green.
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Head

hi guys!

i have bought two sm57 here in italy.

i have seen many articles on the web about spotting fake chinese copies.

i am confused on mines... they have some details of the original and some of the fakes.

- green and yellow wiring (both on the capsule and on the xlr connector, the original should have blue and red on the connector)

- weight is 240 grams (original rated 284)

- three holes in the bottom

- on xlr connector i have marks for pin1,2,3 and shure, and also the silver line

- resistance between pins 2 and 3 is 600 ohms (i've heard it must be 400)

- the package contains all but the user guide and the sticker look very poor quality. the bag is the bigger one and has a "made in china" label inside.

what do you think about them?
Old 26th June 2009
I'm thinking reviving this thread pob isn't the greatest thing seeming as everyone really says the same thing... Anyway, here's my bit:

Just bought one off ebay, had had another one off an auth reseller. they are both the same except the finish, all wiring, pouch, etc is the same. the ebay one weights slightly less, but the thing that really gives it out:

recorded 10sec of acoustic guitars with both mics:

ebay(fake) one has a higher output and harsher sound
real one has a bit more low mids and lower output.

Hope this helps, but my advice is:

You won't know if you got a fake one until you put it to the test with a real one...
Old 26th June 2009
Lives for gear

Great thread, but if I was a counterfeiter I'd be studying all your close up pics and detailed descriptions and taking notes. The next wave off knock offs will be hard to pick now!
Old 13th July 2009
Lives for gear

Many just realized they have fake 57's

Quit ruining the placebos!!!!
Old 13th July 2009
Gear Maniac

I also have a very early sm57. So early that it still says "unidyne III, Shure Brothers Incorporated, SM57, made in the USA". See my picture below for an explanation of the second hole on older mics. I am positive that mine is not a fake, but it also has the ever-so-slightly recessed xlr connection as the fakes have.

What gives it away for me more than anything is that the real ones seem to have solid pins on the xlr out, but the fakes appear to have hollow folded pins common in cheap manufacturing.

They must have stolen the old design...
Attached Thumbnails
FAKE SHURE SM57'S (including pics)-dsc_0016.jpg   FAKE SHURE SM57'S (including pics)-dsc_0017.jpg  
Old 31st January 2010
Lives for gear

I'm gonna

Have a close friend that works for Shure here in chicago take a look at this thread and I will post with feedback as soon as I hear back, he is at the Grammys so it may be a day or two.
Old 31st January 2010
Lives for gear

I have a fake BETA57... I took it apart and all the shure markings inside are wierd/wrong
Old 5th February 2010
Here for the gear

hi TS,
do anyone here have info how to recognize the real shureSM58 with the fake one...
thank you for the info
:D
Old 4th April 2010
Gear Addict

I have two 57's one real and one fake, i sort of knew it was fake as it was only £20 from ebay. But i have it here i never really depend on it but its good to have as a backup.

and the punters cant tell your slapping a fake in front of their cab...

unless they have ears.

haha in all seriousness its not terrible compared to the real 57.
Old 5th April 2010
can you mod the fake one to sound like the original?heh
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

I think they sell it now on ebay as DL-330, not sure if that is it?
Old 5th April 2010
Old 5th April 2010
Gear Nut

i plan to get a 57 in a few days,

thanks!
Old 5th April 2010
Lives for gear

What a trip!!!!
Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

haha damn i knew that guy named Pedro who was selling of 57s for $50 on craigislist was not to be trusted!

I think the counterfeiters must be getting wise because my fake 57 is indistinguishable from my real one. All markings and wires are 100% correct. The only difference is the fake leather pouch and lack of a serial number.

I have had it for more than a year and only just now found out it was fake after reading this thread. I'll have to thoroughly A/B the two to see if there are any subtle differences, but as far as i can tell they sound the same.

damn you Pedro!!! *shakes fist*
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Head

I bought 4 from ebay(apparentlly used) for a fairlly low price $50 each shipped from canada to the uk. I thought they might be fakes and i could allways send them back if they sounded rubbish/were obvious fakes against my 12 year old definatly real 57. The weight is correct all the other things mentioned in this thread seem to be ok. and most importantlly of all they sound more or less exactlly the same (prehaps a little more of the proximity effect). Any differences could be explained by production changes in the last 12 years. all in all i think ill keep them.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear Addict

Wow man, great thread, I just pulled out all my 57's haha. They all seem to be real so thats good.
Old 7th July 2010
Here for the gear

I just purchased a SM 58 and a SM57 for $75 each. After reading this thread I figured I had lost $150!

However I sent in pics to Shure and just got confirmation that they are real.

The printing on the boxes has changed here are pics of the new ones.

Old 12th July 2010
Gear Maniac

I KNEW this recently acquired 58 sounded like crap haha
Old 12th July 2010
Gear Nut

Dumb but serious question:

Are any of these circulating in retail chains?? As new??
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

This is nuts. Shure must be so frustrated with the problem. They probably don't want to publicly acknowledge it for fear it will affect their sales (ie. if everyone becomes paranoid about getting fakes, maybe they will just buy audix's or heil's etc. instead).

Seems the counterfeiters are doing a frighteningly good job keeping up with Shure's appearances...
Old 12th July 2010
Lives for gear

Why wouldn't someone just buy one new? They are $100, come with a warranty, and will last forever... Cool you save $50 and now you have a mystery mic with a debatable background and no warranty..

I mean, at least get a u47 knockoff or something.
Its like making counterfeit $1 bills..
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
Why wouldn't someone just buy one new? They are $100, come with a warranty, and will last forever... Cool you save $50 and now you have a mystery mic with a debatable background and no warranty..

I mean, at least get a u47 knockoff or something.
Its like making counterfeit $1 bills..
I want to hear the A/B tests, maybe if they are pretty good, Shure should hire this guy Or they already are hiring him in mexico, and he grabs what he can from the factory and makes them at home!
Old 18th October 2010
Lives for gear

wow, i used to have 2 sm57's and sold them just last spring on ebay... Does anyone clone the sm7b? they seem fairly popular on the forums, not as much as the 57....if i was to buy another 57, i'd be buying local ...
Old 18th October 2010
Gear Addict
I think i have a fake SM57.
Is it confirmed that the capsule resistance should be +-400 and not +-600???

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search