The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
YESSS! Zep Reunion! Modular Synthesizers
Old 12th September 2007

YESSS! Zep Reunion!

NO!

Not at that price.

Page, Plant, JP Jones, Bonham (junior)

£125, "lottery style" random ticket allocation, 2 only per household, in an echo-y arena with expensive drinks and no soul.

Yep that would be rip-off Britain --- fuuck with knobs on.

So lets do the maths... 20,000 seat arena, all tickets £125...
Old 12th September 2007

Led Zeppelin Takes Flight, For One Night Only

Actually... Just found out more info here. Apparently its part of an Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

^^Yeah, but will all do respect, Mr. Ertegun is 1) dead (R.I.P.) and 2) was rich and I'm sure his family is doing alright.

At that price, I would personally want to see Jr. Bonham take acid tabs before the concert and drink a whole bottle of Jack to more closely resemble his old man, and for me to get the feeling of a "real" Led Zep reunion (mind you, I was -6 or so when they were doing their thing back in the day).
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

sure don't help that http://www.ahmettribute.com/ is down.

I seem to always like London in Nov.

Glenn
Old 12th September 2007

LOL @ FRANCO heh

Alternatively, and much cheaper

Letz Zep -
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post

Yep that would be rip-off Britain --- fuuck with knobs on.

So lets do the maths... 20,000 seat arena, all tickets £125...

Uhhhh, it's a benefit. For scholarships for those who can't afford them.

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Page, Plant, JP Jones, Bonham (junior)
IIRC, the last time this sort of reunion (sic) was posited -- which was a good 20 years ago or so -- Robert Plant said something to the effect of "Why would we do that? Jason Bonham isn't half the drummer his father was."

Or maybe I'm just confabulating...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Being old, and without Bonzo, they'll still make every other rock band look and sound like little puppies.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Personally, I rather like Jason Bonham's playing. He may not be his father, (but then again, who is) but he does have some similarities in the vibe of his drumming.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Not me....don't think Jason captures much of his fathers vibe, and he seems to try hard at doing such a thing.

I'd go on to say he's not 1/4 of his fathers feel/vibe/skill level.

Yes it would be nice that the son of Bonham filled the seat, yet I would prefer a better drummer that's actually closer to John Bonham's feel/skill/vibe level....they're out there, I've seen/heard 'em in the past.

W/O a true John Bonham imitator on the throne, I wouldn't be much interested in seeing them.
Old 13th September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Bravo Zep.

We'd all be so lucky to have the career & success they've had, and still get out there to kick it once more for a good cause.

Sucks on the high ticket price though! oh well. Times have changed.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioMoo View Post
Zak Starkey.
He plays with everyone ... The Who, Queen etc.....
Great Drummer.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yup.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Yes it would be nice that the son of Bonham filled the seat, yet I would prefer a better drummer that's actually closer to John Bonham's feel/skill/vibe level....they're out there, I've seen/heard 'em in the past.
I'm curious who you think would fit this bill. While the previously-mentioned Zak Starkey is certainly an excellent drummer (and he fits The Who better than any drummer since Keith Moon...and that includes Simon Phillips), I've never heard him do the Freight-Train-On-Rails-Of-Crisco thing with time the way Bonzo did: There's this lovely "proportional disconnect" between Bonham's limbs (as well as between the drumkit and the guitar/bass) that makes the time glide through the music like a loose, greasy, almost skidding out of control and yet relentlessly kinetic 300 ton jackhammer. Don't capture that, and you don't have Led Zeppelin imho.

I dunno, maybe Terry Bozzio could do it...if he was restricted to a 5-piece kit.

If Tony Williams were still alive I bet he could nail it.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

New record?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm curious who you think would fit this bill.
Matt Abts. Go listen to some early Gov't Mule and tell me if he wouldn't fill Bonzo's shoes just about perfectly.

I'll say it again.....Matt Freaking Abts.

cheers,
wade
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm curious who you think would fit this bill. While the previously-mentioned Zak Starkey is certainly an excellent drummer (and he fits The Who better than any drummer since Keith Moon...and that includes Simon Phillips), I've never heard him do the Freight-Train-On-Rails-Of-Crisco thing with time the way Bonzo did: There's this lovely "proportional disconnect" between Bonham's limbs (as well as between the drumkit and the guitar/bass) that makes the time glide through the music like a loose, greasy, almost skidding out of control and yet relentlessly kinetic 300 ton jackhammer. Don't capture that, and you don't have Led Zeppelin imho.

I dunno, maybe Terry Bozzio could do it...if he was restricted to a 5-piece kit.

If Tony Williams were still alive I bet he could nail it.
Bozzio's great, but he's a tad too "on top of the beat" to properly serve Bonzo's style, don't you think? Bonzo Jr. has the same issue in his playing, albeit much less so.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm a stickler for Bonzo and don't care much for the Jason drumming that I've been exposed to, but I did enjoy the drumming of Michael Lee, who did the Page/Plant tours. I understand that for sentimental reasons it's nice to have a Bonham on the kit, but I'm not really considering this a proper re-union as that is totally impossible without John there.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I guess they finally remembered John Paul Jones' number

-D
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Jason will be fine ..he's the most appropriate choice ..Ahmet will be happy.
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS View Post
I guess they finally remembered John Paul Jones' number

-D
thumbsup thumbsup

I am a HUGE JPJ fan. He held his 1/4 of the band and it's not like they were deficient in any area, he was part of the hart and soul just as much as Page, Plant or Bonzo. Without any member they would not have been the same band.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

i think jason will do just fine...
Old 13th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Ashley View Post
I'm a stickler for Bonzo and don't care much for the Jason drumming that I've been exposed to, but I did enjoy the drumming of Michael Lee, who did the Page/Plant tours. I understand that for sentimental reasons it's nice to have a Bonham on the kit, but I'm not really considering this a proper re-union as that is totally impossible without John there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Jason will be fine ..he's the most appropriate choice ..Ahmet will be happy.
I think Jason will be just fine as long as he stays off the drugs and drinking.

I do agree with Kyle, Michael Lee was a GREAT drummer for the No Quarter stuff and the Page Plant tours. He is NOT Bonham, he has his own thing going but it is a good "thing" if you know what I mean. I don't think anyone is going to be as good a fit as Bonzo was but…. unfortunately… he is not around to play the gig. If you can't fill the drumming duties with the original drummer go with the best vibe and I think the top candidates are Michael Lee and Jason.

And I hope they at least do a DVD of the show.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
Bozzio's great, but he's a tad too "on top of the beat" to properly serve Bonzo's style, don't you think?
I suppose...I was thinking specifically of some of his late-80's work as a session man (Andy Taylor's solo album, Mick Jagger's Primitive Cool, that project with Steve Jones...or wait, maybe that was the Andy Taylor album? anyway) where he was playing real straightahead mainstream rock, and iirc it had that piledriver hihat that would plow through the meter rather than articulate the meter, which at the time struck me as Bonzo-esque.

Where's that quote re: "dancing about architecture" when you need it?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
W/O a true John Bonham imitator on the throne, I wouldn't be much interested in seeing them.
My vote goes to Jean-Paul Gaster (Clutch). He would be ridiculous playing behind Zeppelin...He also has the stamina to play the entire catalog and then some....AND he has the right vibe...and some more!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
I think Jason will be just fine as long as he stays off the drugs and drinking.

I do agree with Kyle, Michael Lee was a GREAT drummer for the No Quarter stuff and the Page Plant tours. He is NOT Bonham, he has his own thing going but it is a good "thing" if you know what I mean. I don't think anyone is going to be as good a fit as Bonzo was but…. unfortunately… he is not around to play the gig. If you can't fill the drumming duties with the original drummer go with the best vibe and I think the top candidates are Michael Lee and Jason.

And I hope they at least do a DVD of the show.
I liked Lee when I saw the NQ tour in san diego and LA, and then on the second tour at the hollywood bowl, with the exception that his drumming on "Thank You" )(live and on the NQ record) can only be described as "plodding". a little too Lars and not enough Bonzo for my taste on that sort of material; otherwise, the Germans would call his playing "Spitzenklasse!"
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post
Jason will be fine ..he's the most appropriate choice ...
I agree.
Besides, Page and Plant are hardly on top of their game these days...does that mean replacements should be considered for them also?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Fantasy Football season is in full swing, apparently. Next thing you know, we'll be discussing who should play bass with Van Halen.

The worst part is that this little table scrap from an enormous, unique legacy will probably be more relevant on the world stage in ten years than just about anything that came from that rock-'n-roll hotbed-incubator otherwise known as "the years between 2000 and 2010."

I mean, they'll be screaming in the karaoke bars: "Do some of that hot early '00's music!"

...right before leaning over and telling the person on the next barstool, "I remember seeing Led Zeppelin and Van Halen (with Roth) in the same year."

"Funny, you don't LOOK that old..."

--

"CODA," indeed.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Page once said... and I'm sure he was half joking.... had the dude from Dread Zepplin been around when he formed the Zeps he would have been the Drummer..
Old 14th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
Fantasy Football season is in full swing, apparently. Next thing you know, we'll be discussing who should play bass with Van Halen.

The worst part is that this little table scrap from an enormous, unique legacy will probably be more relevant on the world stage in ten years than just about anything that came from that rock-'n-roll hotbed-incubator otherwise known as "the years between 2000 and 2010."

I mean, they'll be screaming in the karaoke bars: "Do some of that hot early '00's music!"

...right before leaning over and telling the person on the next barstool, "I remember seeing Led Zeppelin and Van Halen (with Roth) in the same year."

"Funny, you don't LOOK that old..."

--

"CODA," indeed.
Haha! Very eloquent!thumbsupheh

--

Apparently fans crashed the 02 website yesterday --- 20,000,000 peeps have registered online for tix apparently... Hmm... What on eath is going on there?!? I mean there are only 60,000,000 people in the UK, and 2 tix per household is the max you can get. I reckon everyone's been calling up their mates for multiple registrationsheh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search