The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
YESSS! Zep Reunion! Modular Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jay View Post
I agree.
Besides, Page and Plant are hardly on top of their game these days...does that mean replacements should be considered for them also?
Are you sure? I saw Page/Plant in Zürich in '98 and it was one of the best gigs I ever saw, absolutely stunning! I also saw Plant with his band about 2 years ago and he was still in very good shape. He also has a new duo album out soon with Alison Krauss that judging from the webclips sounds great.

The great thing about the Plant/Page gig though was the fact that it wasn't a Zep reunion and though they played stunning versions of the old warhorses it was also different but none the less powerful. The drummer (Michael Lee) did an incredible job and managed to be faithful to the music without copying Bonzo.

With JPJ and Bonham Jr. there's just more baggage that they carry but if it's only for one gig then bless them. Page was always an on or off player live, luckily on the Page/Plant gig mentioned above he was totally on, I've never heard such a great live guitar sound ANYWHERE!
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

The web site has now recieved in excess of 120 million hits.. can anyone confirm or deny on here that that there are NO complimentary tickets at all?
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

I am stoked and scared at the same time! Stoked that my fav band is gonna get together (minus my fav drummer ever) and scared that they are gonna sound like ****.
Old 14th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
The web site has now recieved in excess of 120 million hits.. can anyone confirm or deny on here that that there are NO complimentary tickets at all?
There are definitely complimentary tickets...

for record company execs.

And you too... but it will cost you £125 heh
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
I'm curious who you think would fit this bill. While the previously-mentioned Zak Starkey is certainly an excellent drummer (and he fits The Who better than any drummer since Keith Moon...and that includes Simon Phillips), I've never heard him do the Freight-Train-On-Rails-Of-Crisco thing with time the way Bonzo did: There's this lovely "proportional disconnect" between Bonham's limbs (as well as between the drumkit and the guitar/bass) that makes the time glide through the music like a loose, greasy, almost skidding out of control and yet relentlessly kinetic 300 ton jackhammer. Don't capture that, and you don't have Led Zeppelin imho.

I dunno, maybe Terry Bozzio could do it...if he was restricted to a 5-piece kit.

If Tony Williams were still alive I bet he could nail it.
Tony Williams DID nail it on Jonas Hellborg's "The Word" - serious Bonham meets sublime intelligence vibe on a lot of those tracks.

As far as other candidates - agreed with another poster that Bozzio even though is amazing might be a little too metronomic and on top of the beat for his grooves to have similar feel as Bonham's.

When I saw Pete Thomas (probably best known for Elvis Costello & The Attractions) play behind Diamanda Galas and JPJ on the "Sporting Life" tour he definitely surprised me by pounding things out in a seriously Bonham-esque way.

Another possibility that I kind of like the idea of (and someone who has played with JPJ before) is ?uestlove from The Roots.

This kind of wishful thinking is kind of moot though as Jason Bonham is the one on the gig anyway.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Michael Lee KILLED IT.

he should drum behind the curtain with jr. air drumming in front. Not that he's a bad player at all honestly... but michael LEE..... kik booty.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

So Monday's the day and there's been much hype. The whole thing got pushed forward a couple of weeks, due to Jimmy breaking a finger. Seems like the band is really trying to make it worthwhile this time.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any indication of the performance being televised.

Anyone know something?
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

^^

keep an eye on youtube and various torrent sites.....it will be documented in one form or another...many times over.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

If the show goes half decent, I am sure it will be available on DVD for next Christmas. And to coincide with the world tour announcement. It has to be part of a bigger picture or they wouldn't have done it.
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Tony Williams... Bozzio... Thomas... ?uestlove from The Roots.
All great drummers in my estimation. Glad to see them getting mention.

For that famous Bonham "heavy-plus-groove" thing, I think I'd lean toward Questlove. That guy's got the right combo of vibe and technique.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

HUGE!

Led Zeppelin '07

Black Dog

In My Time Of Dying

The Song Remains The Same

More

Set List:

'Good Times Bad Times'
'Ramble On'
'Black Dog'
'In My Time Of Dying'
'For Your Life'
'Trampled Under Foot'
'Nobody's Fault But Mine'
'No Quarter'
'Since I've Been Loving You'
'Dazed And Confused'
'Stairway To Heaven'
'The Song Remains The Same'
'Misty Mountain Hop'
'Kashmir'
'Whole Lotta Love'
'Rock And Roll'
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Guru

Wow, I wish I were there! But man, those are some of the worst recordings I have ever heard. Sounds like somebody's cell phone!

I really can't tell if they suck or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
HUGE!

Led Zeppelin '07

Black Dog

In My Time Of Dying

The Song Remains The Same

More

Set List:

'Good Times Bad Times'
'Ramble On'
'Black Dog'
'In My Time Of Dying'
'For Your Life'
'Trampled Under Foot'
'Nobody's Fault But Mine'
'No Quarter'
'Since I've Been Loving You'
'Dazed And Confused'
'Stairway To Heaven'
'The Song Remains The Same'
'Misty Mountain Hop'
'Kashmir'
'Whole Lotta Love'
'Rock And Roll'
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Freight-Train-On-Rails-Of-Crisco thing with time
Gotta say- that's a pretty cool description.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

I want the DVD!
Old 11th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post

I want the DVD!

Me too. Page is looking a little old but Plant and Jones look GREAT. From the few little clips I have heard they sound really good.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

mr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_analog View Post
My vote goes to Jean-Paul Gaster (Clutch). He would be ridiculous playing behind Zeppelin...He also has the stamina to play the entire catalog and then some....AND he has the right vibe...and some more!
OM efin G...You nailed it!!!
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier View Post

I want the DVD!
Hey, they look great!
Old 11th December 2007
Lee
Gear Maniac

I dunno, the vocals are about as bad as I'd though =\
Old 11th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I dunno, the vocals are about as bad as I'd though =\
Of course someone would show up and say that....

In Robert's hay day he was pitchy and straining a little on stage, that is part of the magic. I like what I hear. It's not like the pitch corrected, vocal aligned, multiple take bullsh*t that pervades today's music.
Old 11th December 2007
Lee
Gear Maniac

That's cool..I'd still rather hear someone who can sing. Sorry if I offended you?

I thought everyone else sounded great.
Old 11th December 2007
Quote:
That's cool..I'd still rather hear someone who can sing. Sorry if I offended you?

I thought everyone else sounded great.
So Robert Plant can't sing?

Just kidding and no I am not "offended" just a little annoyed in general (not specifically at you).

It's just a given that if ANY band is talked about or their music is posted SOMEONE is going to say SOMETHING negative. It just gets a little old.

I think it is so easy to slap people down with an anonymous user name as a poster on an Internet forum. I think (hope?) that if Plant were standing in front of you in a room you would respect him as a musician and not tell him he can't sing. You SHOULD respect him, not because of his career but because he is a human and a fellow music lover.

On top of that, there are people who are grooving on Zep getting back together. Same thing with any other band, SOMEONE likes them so what exactly does someone else gain by the negativity? Does it help them too bring others down?

Anyway, just a little annoyed all in all at the general negativity of most folks.... It was a kind of sh*tty day for me so maybe I am taking this too strongly.

Either way seeing the Zep stuff brought (and still brings) a big old smile to my face.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by af_analog View Post
My vote goes to Jean-Paul Gaster (Clutch). He would be ridiculous playing behind Zeppelin...He also has the stamina to play the entire catalog and then some....AND he has the right vibe...and some more!
HELLS yes !!

jean could KILL on that gig !! THAT would be cool....but...he already is in the greatest rock band ever !!!

hope jason, now ALOT older and wise than that silly 1987 or 88 "reunion", can make his old man proud. jason is a killer drummer.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

one notable thing....

they are tuned down a WHOLE step.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

So who here went?

Please don't tell me the soundguy there was the only person in the recording industry to go?

I have a friend that was backstage, and then was going to an afterparty (possibly with the band?). I can't wait to hear details from him when he's back in the States in a few days.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

dfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegaddfegad

Quote:
I'd still rather hear someone who can sing.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikymike View Post
OM efin G...You nailed it!!!
+100
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

Me too. Page is looking a little old but Plant and Jones look GREAT. From the few little clips I have heard they sound really good.
In that particular shot, it think Page is looking better than he has in a long time.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone notice that he's playing an Orange amp? I can't tell which one from that photos, but I think it's funny when people go after all of these odd esoteric amps and such because, "Someone used it" and now... the people who were famous for using them... no longer use them. No Marshall, Supro or Hiwatt amp on the stage.

Kinda like people chasing 1963 AC30s, when Sir Paul seems to prefer the Divided by 13 amps these days.

Just strikes me as funny.

EDIT: Before someone says it, I may have stuck my foot in my mouth. Reading it seems that he generally used the Orange amps for his thermins... so he may have used it for that. I can't find a better stage photo at the moment. Guess we'll have to see.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by severe View Post
Despite the worse-than-cellphone quality, this seriously ROCKS!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search