The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend a turntable! Keyboard Controllers
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Recommend a turntable!

o.k, Vinylslutz,

I'm ready to make the move.....back. I sold all my vinyl records a long time ago and despite growing up in the vinyl era, I never had any deep emotional attachement to records per se, it was always about the music for me and a good-sounding CD (they exist!) is fine with me.

But lately I just been longing for records again, passed a small vinyl section in a CD store recently and these things looked HUGE and very compelling. I'm also interested in hearing the sound of records again as all my work is in the digital domaindigital i.e tapeless.

My apartement is now two floors above my studio and so I plan to set up a sort of 'vinyl lounge' there and have a mid-term plan to buy my 50 or so fave records again on vinyl.

All that's missing is a decent turntable, I'm really not an audiophile and I don't want to spend more than a few hundred on it.

But what's still avialable? Any tips? Thanks for any help!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Always had a lot of joy out of my Pro-Ject Debut SE 2. A lot of bang for the buck.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Rega Plannar 2/3
Thorens TD160
Pro-ject Debut

All good belt drive models. If your looking for a turntable for quality playback then get a belt drive, not a direct drive. Also worth looking at the rest of your stereo if your in the market at the moment. Don't forget the phono stage if your amp dosen't have one!

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

There's the Rega P1 also. It's a bit of a stripped version but at that price I don't know anything better.

Music Hall comes up quite a bit at this price range, and while the 2.1 may sound pretty good, I can't recommend it as it's really a pile of junk buildwise.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

If that's all you want to spend then I'd also go with a used Rega or Thorens. Put most of your money in a spare belt and the cartridge. Grado and Ortofon are my 2 favorites. Go to a "hi-fi" shop. See what they have used. They will usually even come to the house and set it up for you.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
music hall mm-5. wonderful, affordable, and the goldring cartridge it comes with is worth more than half the price of the unit if purchased separately!

i had one for years and replaced it with some dj stuff. the glass platter was cool; it's like the big brother of the project debut others have mentioned. in fact, music hall now makes an entry-level turntable that is absolutely identical to the project; wonder how the companies are related.

if you want something that will sound great and afford you some crazy versatility with pitch etc., look into the stanton t-120c. i have two of them now. +/- 50% pitch control, runs at 33/45/78 (which is a 16 - 156 rpm range with the pitch engaged), is built like a tank, and rather handsome to boot. very well priced versus the technics 1200's, and many reviews place them squarely in the same class, or cite the stanton as an improvement. it's indestructable.

you can always go old-school and pick up a dual 1019 off ebay for a couple hundred bucks too... i grew up with one of these. full-auto, all-mechanical implementation. great sound and performance.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
Go to a "hi-fi" shop. See what they have used. They will usually even come to the house and set it up for you.
That's my problem, I had some bad experiences with hifi shops with non-working CD players and the like. I really hate the attitude and vibe of these shops (at least the ones we have here) and I guess that the salespersons also sense my 'anti-audiophile' stance. And I mean the audiophile attitude and not the sonics.

Thanks for the tips so far, keep them coming!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I found a place here in switzerland that sells the Project debut for 250 Swiss =$ 210.

What about it?

Jackpoint Dj, HiFi & Studio - Pro Ject Debut II Blue
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

The above recommendations are all solid and there's a mail order company in the US that carries several of those brands. I don't know about international orders but I've bought several things from these guys and the service has always been first rate.

Audio Advisor
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Head

Also worth remebering that most companies these days really cut corners with the phono stage in their amps, as it's less commonly used. Might be worth getting a seperate box, or getting a new amp with a reputable phono pre if yours isn't.

FWIW, I have a Debut II running into a last-generation Cyrus One for my living room rig.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I got one of the Project tables and rather like it. I'd like to get a Grado cart to put on it however.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.gymer View Post
Thorens TD160
Are there different 160 incarnations? I just got a quote for the Thorens TD 160 from a store in Germany.

It sells for 2000 Euro without the cartridge!!!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

A bit over my budget though. I'm loking for something in the $ 300-600 league or so. Thanks anyway!
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Well, it's like anything else. I used to have a rule and mostly it applies to everything. When vinyl was king I always said you got a turntable with everything you need for $200. Over that and you are buying (features) what you want. Carts, on the other hand you really do get more for your money. You can tell the difference in a $200 and a $2000 cart. Is it 10 times better? Probably not but usually 5 times better.

I have a Linn turntable. I think used they are around $1500, maybe less, maybe more. I haven't checked ebay in a long time. I paid $800 for it used 28 years ago. I paid $300 for an Ortofon that I still use and those new now are not much more. They may be made with slave labor, I don't know.

Mostly if you are going to spend $200 total you will get a record player and play records. When you start spending $2000 plus you are an audiophile and play recordings. It sort of comes down to like we are here. For a certain amount you have a project studio/home studio. For X number of dollars more you are an engineer.
Old 13th September 2007
Why not go for a classic that keep the value & rocks solid

Technics 1200 mk2, most over engineered record player in the world, sort of like a Shure 58, will survive your wildest vinyl revival parties /Toby
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Are there different 160 incarnations? I just got a quote for the Thorens TD 160 from a store in Germany.

It sells for 2000 Euro without the cartridge!!!
Not that I know of! The most expensive TD160 I've seen on ebay had been seriously upgraded and that went for around £600 without the cart. Normally crop up in the UK for around £200 give or take £50.

The Linn Sondek would sell for that sort of money (or more) and looks almost identical.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

A whole new world of sluttery opening up before you: turntable cartridges!
May I suggest a preamp to go with whatever you choose?heh
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Technics SL1100 with Rabco SL-8E Linear Tracking Tonearm and
Universal Record Stabilizing Ring (RSR) plus Universal Stabilizer Weight.

Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

o.k, so here's some SERIOUS VinylSlutism for you (I especially love the reaction of the wives when the are asked about the total of their investements).

YouTube - Greek Audiophile
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I highly recommend a Music Hall or a Clearaudio turntable. Most dealers can offer a package deal which includes the table, tonearm & cartridge.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Yeah, those 2 have come along in what, the last 10 or 15 years? They seem to have a good value and reputation. I always forget about the "new" stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search