The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundtracs PC-Midi 24 Turntables
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Soundtracs PC-Midi 24

Hi there,

I've just brought a Soundtracs PC-midi 24 channel desk.I got a great price considering it comes with a patchbay, rack and all the looming.
I'll be picking it up next week but I'm interested in learning what experiance any of you might of had with this particular model desk.
I've found a lot of infomation on the Topaz range but not much for the PC-midi range.

Looking forward to reading your comments,

Benjah
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I've had mine for a few years now. Great console for tracking. The mic amps are quite 'dark' but I like to have a bit of colour from my desk pres. There the same as is found on a number of later Soundtracs consoles as well I believe.

The EQ is pretty flexible with good crossover points and can be split between the channel A and channel B paths when mixing.

Balenced throughout except for the inserts, and the monitor B is on a single 1/4" trs cable which is a bit ****. It also shares the headphone knob so you don't have seperate control (although I only use one set of monitors and one pair of headphones so it's never been an issue for me).

These consoles retailed at over £10,000 in 1984 which would buy you a decent semi-detached house back then!

Maintenance is pretty easy on these desks, and there are a few things you can do to them if you want (have a search on here, as there is a change you can make with the ICs detailed somewhere). The one thing worth considering is the power supply is the weak link with these, and getting a replacement is near impossible. You can convert other manufacturers PSUs but this is not a good solution in the long term.

Enjoy you new console!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks c.gymer,

In what way is the power supply weak? Is it underpowered or just unreliable. If it's under powered I know a really good tech who could put beefier caps in it.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
I've had mine since about '85. It's been a workhorse. Mine was a demo, so I only paid $8KUS instead of the original $12K. It was the best thing for the money at the time. I do recommend IC and cap replacement. Per Jim Williams' recommendation, replaced the TL074's with LT1359's and the 5532's with LM4652's. Everything sounds quieter, with much better detail. The mic pres are now very transparent. The only real worry about the power supply is that a replacement transformer is not available. Other than that, all other parts should be readily available. "c.gymer" said that it is balanced throughout: WRONG! Mics are balanced but all line level inputs and outputs are selectable -10/+4dB via Tip or Ring on TRS jacks. Inserts are the standard TRS (R-out, T-in,S-shared ground).
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for your feed back.

Are the chips socketed? Also, did you need to change any caps in order to change the chips over?
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Apologies. My bad. I was told by the previous owner that it was balenced throughout. Sorry to mislead.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJah View Post
Thanks for your feed back.

Are the chips socketed? Also, did you need to change any caps in order to change the chips over?
Yes, they are on sockets. They already had caps in the feedback loop and I couldn't find any oscillating, so the installed feedback is fine.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi there,

I've just brought a Soundtracs PC-midi 24 channel desk.I got a great price considering it comes with a patchbay, rack and all the looming.
I'll be picking it up next week but I'm interested in learning what experiance any of you might of had with this particular model desk.
I've found a lot of infomation on the Topaz range but not much for the PC-midi range.

Looking forward to reading your comments,

Benjah
Haha, congrats. bought one too this week (around 250 USD), but couldnt pick it up yet, because the guy who had it up for auction is on holidays til monday.

this one might be interesting:

Studio Systems » Welcome
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thats a fair bit less than I paid... Is it in good condition? I get mine this tuesday. I've taken half a day off work to go pick it up. Very excited!

And thanks for the info re the chips Mbrebes
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

I've seen it on photos only, a shot in the dark - so to speak. I will pick it up next week. But at that price I can dump it again on ebay, if servicing would cost me a fortune. Don't know how much I'm willing to invest, have to see and hear first what's left of it
Attached Thumbnails
Soundtracs PC-Midi 24-515242256_big.jpg  
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Doesn't look to bad I guess. I got mine for 1200 NZ dollars. About 700-800 US dollars. It's in perfect condition however and comes with spare parts and the manual.
Old 16th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
... comes with spare parts and the manual.
so you're lucky - especially bout the manual. I get a spare channelstrip with the board, but could be a "dumpster-case". good luck!
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

Let me know how it goes. Hope it works out for you. These desks seem to have a pretty good reputation.
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Head

Old post

Quote:
Let me know how it goes. Hope it works out for you. These desks seem to have a pretty good reputation.
I know this is an old post, but I just got one of these boards and LOVE IT! Just wanted to know how everyone else has felt about these?
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

I've got a Solo Logic 24/8 which I think sounds very good. A lot of desk for the buck:D

Good preamps and eq's, tape in / outs, automation, DAW remote...lots of goodness.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search