The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows Channel- UPDATE Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
View Poll Results: Is the new saturation section an improvement?
Yes, the range of adjustment is more useful
7 Votes - 63.64%
Yes, quiet stuff is more clean and clear
0 Votes - 0%
No, I like the old Channel better
4 Votes - 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st October 2007
Cris, get a life bro!!!!! heh
Just kiddin!
Thanks a lot!!!!!!
I'm just waiting some clients to paid their bills to spend a little more with you!!!
Remember, my money worth half
Old 1st October 2007
That freeverb ain't bad. I used it on some toms today. Very easy to dial it in. I really can't stand fancy GUI so it's perfect.
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Chris,

I would really like to use the new channel, yet keep my old songs sound the same.

Why won't you release the new channel as "Channel 2", so that installing it will keep the old channel in its place and allow people to open old songs safely?
Old 1st October 2007
Lives for gear

Chris Im really really looking forward to the revised Neverland I hope the test files I did were of some use.

Ps snares is working nicely but wet/dry control please as always "-)
And you will hear from me tommorow in regards to the othe rmatter

Thx Chris keep up all the good work but do try and take some breaks as well
off course arfter you have written me a convining Eventide H3000 emulation "-)
Old 1st October 2007
I just got the Elation plug. It works quit well once you wrap your head around what the controls do. It seems suttle but it isn't when you A/B
Old 1st October 2007
Airwindows

Papiel- because the new one defaults to more or less the only sound the old one had. The popups weren't working for everybody on the old one, and the sounds were all too similar (not surprising really!). Basically I want to get rid of the old one, for other things I've kept old versions (like Pressure, which is now free). In exchange for all the new free stuff like chorus and flanger and vibrato you gotta humor me when I want you to stop using the one with the names of hardware manufacturers on it that aren't me... and if you start up a new copy from scratch it SHOULD sound the same for all practical purposes, there aren't any MAJOR changes, just refinements of the same things. If it sounds very different it's probably trying to read old settings and needs to be taken out and re-loaded, or set to (0 to 1), 0.5 0.5...

Redroom- huh? Both controls on Snares set to 0 IS dry. They are basically both wet/dry controls already. Dunno if the new Neverland is going to sound like your examples at ALL, I think it is instead more of that 'caricature' thing, but again, it does the opposite of that bass-weakening thing now, and if you were looking for 'fat and lush', um yeah

Nu-tra: whoa, again don't get too used to Elation as it stands! Kagi has the new one and is supposed to be updating it, and you should be getting the update soon! I don't think the first version was all that, turn down the hardness control and listen to how distorty it gets, I needed to change that completely!
Old 1st October 2007
No worries Chris. I don't even have decent converters right now. I had to sell them to pay the rent. I wanted to update my converters as well. I just pull up old mixes and mess around. I'm in no hurry. I should be up and running in about a month or two.
I hope you got some rest.
Old 2nd October 2007
Airwindows

Keep bugging me about getting some rest

'cos I'm obviously not listening yet.

Just overhauled all the little screenshots that go along with the plugins. They now are done in AU Lab because that resembles Logic 8 more- and I've added colorcoded sample rate compatibility notes so you can see at a glance. This comes in four basic flavors-

"Requires 44.1K" is basically convolution stuff where you get a pitch-shifted Neve impulse or whatever if you use anything else. Doesn't mean the plug breaks at 96k, there's just something about it that is wrong. Almost all the Character plugs and those guitar cab sims are like this.

"Ignores Sample Rate" basically means there's no special reason you couldn't use it at 96K or whatever, but it isn't doing anything to compensate, even scaling frequency controls. It'll work fine but the settings won't sound the same between 44.1K and 96K, you have to adjust it for the new situation. The Character plug 'Crystal' falls in this category: unlike the others, its 'convolution impulse' is an idealized lowpass filter at the Nyquist frequency and there's no reason that can't work at 96K too. Crystal has no 'tone' to be made wrong by the change in sample rate.

"Sample Rate Independent" actually means the ones where there's no time or frequency reference at all, like the dither, or High Impact, or Pafnuty. These do absolutely everything with transfer function or Chebyshev filters and will be exactly the same no matter what rate you're at.

"96K Aware" are the ones, including my new guitar amp plug LilAmp, which are tracking the sample rate (can be anything, not just 96K) and adjusting themselves to deliver exactly the same sound, or better, at 96K as at 44.1K. With my stuff it's not uncommon to have things that relate to the medium of digital sampling itself, which won't 'translate' to a sample rate change, and in those cases I adapt what needs to be adapted, and anything dependent on the sample rate stays. How this works with plugs like Iron Oxide and LilAmp is, the plug sounds as designed at 44.1K, and then at 96K it sounds the same but bigger and more open in a way 44.1K can't do. So basically I don't expect anyone at 96K to complain about it being subtly different, because it'll be different in their favor...

I still work at 44.1K, myself, but people sometimes ask what's OK to use at 96K, so I'm trying to deliver that information.

One of these days I _am_ going to rest...
Old 2nd October 2007
Can't wait for the new iron oxide! Point is another one that is important lol!!!

Get some rest!

V
Old 9th October 2007
Airwindows

Hi guys! I had to bring back the original Channel algorithm because some of my users were really upset with any changes to it and it was shattering their faith in me and making them sad! :D

http://www.airwindows.com/f/ClassicChannel.dmg

For the first time (at least that I remember) I got an actual email about this. My user was really sad about the situation, didn't want his faith to be shattered etc. Then I look on another forum and see that because of the Channel changes, my upgrade policy is looking not as good as WUP??? Holy crap! This cannot stand.

I dropped everything and fixed it, on the spot, before closing the guy's email, because I really cannot have anything go that wrong no matter how nifty _I_ think the new thing is. No wonder I haven't had sales for days. Well, emailing ME directly is good. You can get my home phone number off my mastering website, too. Nobody should ever have to swap files with other users to get something you should be able to get from me.

I'm going to be bumping all the old Channel update threads. This is exactly the old channel with one difference: it has the initialization bug fix.

The weird thing is, now that I can literally A/B the two (which I couldn't do before as I was using the same name for the new one) I'm not so sure he's not right. I think this might be nothing more than the old Channel having a volume boost even when set 'clean', which I believe I 'fixed', but something weird is happening and I'm glad you guys made me listen. The old Channel (now ClassicChannel) will now be locked down forever and only bugfix updates (like the initialization thing) will happen to it, the algorithm will be kept superstitiously untouched :D

Two versions are included- one called ClassicChannel for using alongside the newer one, and one called simply Channel which should replace the newer one outright and load old settings seamlessly (but which still has the initialization bug fix)

Damned if I know why this one has special qualities. I thought the placebo guys were right, it was hard to measure any differences, and then it immediately sounded different on A/B comparing, so I'm stumped for now.

Please don't be sad and shattered. I don't do all this work to make people sad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search