The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows Channel- UPDATE Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
View Poll Results: Is the new saturation section an improvement?
Yes, the range of adjustment is more useful
7 Votes - 63.64%
Yes, quiet stuff is more clean and clear
0 Votes - 0%
No, I like the old Channel better
4 Votes - 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th September 2007
Airwindows

It's still exactly the same (see first post!) it just gives you sliders instead of presets. I believe the pop-up wasn't working for all users. The 'neve' setting is 0.5 on both slew limit and bass restrict. For SSL turn slew limit down or off. For API turn bass restrict down or off...

Unlike the original version, these now scale to whatever sampling rate you're at...

Also, the drive control in the original one at full crank is exactly the same as Analog Soften at full crank, making the plug functionally identical- but if you turn down the analog soften you create a zone at low levels of no distortion which blends smoothly into the saturation effect- which is a lot more realistic.

If anybody else with DP can try this I'd sure appreciate it- I'm basically waiting to hear from a few people and am pretty sure I fixed the bug with Logic 8, and it should be fixed for DP too but MrChang isn't finding that to be true. I'd like to know if there are any DP users for which it is fixed... since the change I made IS more towards behaving correctly and not depending on the kindness of host applications
Old 25th September 2007
Oh I see the pop wasn't working for me then.

Thanks Chris.
Old 25th September 2007
I just bought point, Neverland, and Air!!!!
Old 25th September 2007
Airwindows

Thanks! We'll use those for further experiments. If they make noises, tell me here and I'll send you updates immediately and you say whether they help

If they already work perfectly, hurrah, and that's what they did when I tested them here
Old 25th September 2007
Chris,

Everything seems fine with the new version, worked all afternoon without a glitch!
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!
Old 26th September 2007
Nice!

Is point 96k savvy yet?
Old 26th September 2007
Airwindows

The 96K savviness will be entirely a factor of the frequency control, nothing else- that control is not yet being scaled to the host's sampling rate, so not QUITE yet no. But it will be soon

So pleased the sophiasticated bugfix is working- again this is courtesy of help by Sophia Poirier of Destroy FX, be grateful- if you think my willingness to work with people on a problem is a cool thing, well, same deal.

The next week or so is going to be very busy with me updating everything. I'll be following this thread and all if you have comments/further bugs/pleading for insta-fix of a particular plugin that's going to be fixed, etc. Also note: three plugs from the store are going to become free immediately for people to enjoy, and so you can hear the interpolation technology present in ChorusEnsemble, Ensemble, and ADT.

http://www.airwindows.com/f/Chorus.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Flanger.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Vibrato.dmg
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks, Chris!

But, I still have a couple of questions. 1) How do we know when you have updated a plugin (haven't received any update e-mails lately) - especially to these new Logic8 and DP5 friendly versions? 2) Will you ever incorporate version numbers? It's becoming hard to keep track of the .dmg's by name only such as with Channel and Iron Oxide that have gone through a few revisions. I own Iron Oxide, StereoFX, Logical, Bite, and Space Odyssy (might have forgot one). Are the new versions going to be released in one big batch, or slowly roll out over the next 1-2 weeks?

peace,
-G
Old 26th September 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
Thanks, Chris!
But, I still have a couple of questions. 1) How do we know when you have updated a plugin (haven't received any update e-mails lately) - especially to these new Logic8 and DP5 friendly versions? 2) Will you ever incorporate version numbers? It's becoming hard to keep track of the .dmg's by name only such as with Channel and Iron Oxide that have gone through a few revisions. I own Iron Oxide, StereoFX, Logical, Bite, and Space Odyssy (might have forgot one). Are the new versions going to be released in one big batch, or slowly roll out over the next 1-2 weeks?
peace,
-G
You'll get an email unless you're in a jam and need me to drop everything, fix a particular plug early, and send it to you, and then you'll get another copy when it's email-time. I'm sorry about the version numbers, I keep forgetting them and anyhow since everyone gets free updates it's not like you're asked to pay for 'Iron Oxide II' or something. Generally if I update something like Channel and change the sound, as I did with the saturation effect, it's because I am THAT SURE that it's so much better that I'm not interested in offering old versions- I struggled against updating Iron Oxide because I liked it with just the ips control, but customer demand compelled me to give people additional controls.

Honestly, I try very hard not to switch around controls and sound on people- I'd like to just stick to bugfixes and don't see a value in keeping around older versions if there was anything wrong with 'em. In theory you could just use the newest version of everything- if you didn't have it and you knew it was out there, you could write me and say 'I don't have current updates' and I'd find your order and send you new everything.

Because it's just me doing this, it's going to take me more than a day or two, dealing with the whole thing. I actually was waiting to hear from Sophia Poirier (Destroy FX) so I could be sure it was okay to use the code snippets she made for me, in commercial products. Now that I've got the OK, and people are reporting that her versions of the fixes are working even better than mine, I'm going to drown in code for a while, before drowning in email. And before the email, I've got to break it to Kagi that I'm sending updates for ALL my plugins in the store. I'm dreading that because it's going to be an incredible drudge of testing everything out to make sure it's all set up right- the store grew month by month, I've never had to overhaul the whole thing at once before. But even if it's a trainwreck, if people email me with any problems they might have, they will be fixed rapidly :D
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

Chris,

The newest Channel you uploaded seems to be working just fine in DP. I'll noodle with it some more to keep testing, but it's worked in a new session/project for the past few hours without a hitch.

The only issue seems to be in loading old projects where the old version was used/instantiated. The track(s) with Channel inserted immediately go into the red upon launching DP. BUT... once I blow out the inserted plug-in and re-instantiate it doesn't seem to come back! So that's great news.

After I deliver the score I'm working on, I'll try trashing my preferences and see if that helps to alleviate that issue.

Based on what I'm seeing, I'll probably go ahead and purchase Iron Oxide.

Best,

John
Old 26th September 2007
Airwindows

I have ALL the plugins rebuilt now in case anyone is in an emergency and needs an instant update emailed to them. Next I have to package them all up in .dmg files, and talk to Kagi about the mass update. I've also made the following plugs not just 96K capable but 96K savvy:

Bite
Channel
DeEss
Density
Drive
Gate
Hard Vacuum
Highpass
Iron Oxide
Kicks
Lowpass
Peak Limiter
Point
Pressure
Snares
StereoFX
Tremolo
VariMu
LilAmp (new!)

These ones have to be at 44.1K to make sense:
SpaceOdyssey
all the Character plugs
all the speaker cab modeling plugs that aren't LilAmp

Also, a bunch of ones like ResEQ, BrightAmbience, TapeDelay, the modulation plugs, don't really care what the sampling rate is, you'll just be setting them differently if you're at 96K or they have buffers I didn't want to resize just to claim 96K-savvy only to waste half of it at 44.1.

I just recoded 66 plugins, including some which aren't even out yet, plus I built into my Xcode template the changes that were needed. It's pushing 5 in the morning and the coffee has long since worn off. Goodnight, and anyone panicking because they need a particular plug to be debugged right away for a current session- email me, but I'm going to be asleep for a bit...

It's going to be nice releasing LilAmp, I think it's another Iron Oxide-class winner. However I bet it's not going to be that impressive soloed. But it should be pretty sweet in a mix.
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

You're such a breath of fresh air Chris! And your plugins sound fantastic. I hope that very soon the masses begin to realize how much of a huge bargain your plugins are. Much continued success.
Old 27th September 2007
Airwindows

Here are the free updates for today. Next, updating the Kagi site and pay plugs- then, email updates for all. Since these are the freebies, I only have to point to them- anyone having bugs should update.
Plugs that are now more 96K savvy, I'll indicate.

http://www.airwindows.com/f/AcousticBass.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/CabAlnico10.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/CabPrinceton.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/CabSVT.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Channel.dmg -96K
http://www.airwindows.com/f/ChannelEQ.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Density.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Drive.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Nikola.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Pressure.dmg -96K
http://www.airwindows.com/f/SampleDelay.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Slew.dmg -96K
http://www.airwindows.com/f/StereoChorus.dmg

Yes, slew and stereo chorus are new. Actually nobody's ever had my stereo chorus before. Slew is the same as what you have in Channel, but all by itself.
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think you gave me Stereo chorus when we were trying to figure out the Flutter plug in.Anyway Stereo chorus sounds great and thk for all the updates now go and make point better "-)
Old 27th September 2007
Thank you vary much chris!!! I'll update right now!!!
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

Chris,

First, thanks for sharing. Second, I tried Channel a little today and while give it a little more run tomorrow. I was surprised by the name of the parameters. Could you expand on them?
Old 27th September 2007
Airwindows

Slew limiting is not literally a frequency control, it is restricting how fast the 'output voltage' of the signal can swing, so it's very level-dependent. It's an effect that's present in many analog circuits, transformers, even op-amps.

Bass restrict is nothing more than a highpass, to emulate the fact that analog circuits generally have gain stages isolated by capacitors. Capacitors means the circuit can't sit around all day passing DC- there's a bottom frequency below which it cannot go.

Analog Soften is the overdrive routine that was formerly only in the Character plugs, I'm now giving that to people because I decided I might like to use Channel as my primary 2-buss processing myself and wanted the good saturation routine on it. At full crank, it's the same as the previous Channel at full crank. The original channel blended that with dry to get intermediate stages, which meant that you could never get a totally clean low-level behavior without shutting off the effect, but also meant that unless you were at full crank you could overload the plug with too much gain.

The new version always saturates at full volume instead of passing outputs greater than 1, but if you go halfway on the control, instead of mixing half dry with half wet, it will give you half linear output which is boosted as much as it can be, and then at the point where the saturation kicks in, it uses the curve of the original Channel scaled so that it gradually goes from the saturation onset point to complete saturation.

So, instead of having a single 'soft fuzzy' saturation color, the new Analog Soften control works like the drive controls on the Character plugs- at the hardest setting, you have straight digital clipping, and as you increase 'Analog Soften' your clipping SOFTENS and becomes smoother and more fluid until at full crank it's completely soft and fluid. You increase it until you have enough saturation color, and if you lost too much punch and clarity you turn it down- you can also single out peaks like drum hits and have those be softened without making the instruments weaker.

Trust me, way better than the previous one start moving the Analog Soften around and feel the vibe of the music. Probably shouldn't automatically go for full soften on everything- pull it back and see if you get a pleasing effect from a slightly less 'plush' sound.
Old 30th September 2007
Airwindows

Guys, the update is taking longer than I thought, but here's why:

'Slipperman' requested an output level control on all the Character plugs (you'd think I'd have learned from Iron Oxide, wouldn't you?) and I had to, I liked his ******** missives so much :D

I'm adding more available gain and more exaggeration of the character. They will retain previous settings but the slider goes one more now.

I did a massive upgrade on Distance. It now is really, really impressive, I think. Should find use in post, it really can put things over the horizon, even explosions and such.

I did a massive upgrade on Elation. Way sweeter, and instead of the 'hardness' (that was sort of a 'add fuzz' control) it now has dry/wet for parallel compression built right in.

I finished up Redroom's 'flutter' plugs and will be putting them out free, because I STILL cannot get the latency to work. Inline with the master buss (stereo only please) this won't matter so much unless you're switching it in and out. In a mix you'll have to figure something out, so they're going to be free with a warning label now.

I finished up Ola Sonmark's "Gatelope" and it's so good I took the existing Gate, simplified it, and I'm putting that out free too, and Gatelope is going to become the premium plugin. This is a gate combined with an envelope EQ. You get treble sustain and bass sustain. Ola wanted it for sustainy toms so he could roll the cymbals off them, but actually what's even cooler is reducing the bass sustain, which turns even soggy drums into clicky, modernistic punch-monsters. This is going to be a WINNER plug. It too has dry/wet for paralleling it with the ungated sound.

For Will B, I went through everything changing 'linear gain' controls to 'generic' controls, so all the sliders don't have 'Gain' next to them. This didn't show up in old Logic Express 7, but it actually does in AU Lab and Logic 8's generic AU look is that of AU Lab.

So I'm only about halfway through the catalog, but am doing HUGE THINGS all over the place and still hope to be done by next week, and updating people by the end of next week
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi Chris,

I've been using the "old" channel on a mix. Can I safely install the new channel over the old one, still expect the same sound from the mix next time I tweak it?

p
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

You're a bit of a dude, aren't you Chris?

I'm in the middle of a session and using PT (so no AU) but I'm definitely gonna check your plugs when I get the time.

I like your attitude. Keep it up!

Take care,

R.
Old 30th September 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by papiel View Post
Hi Chris,

I've been using the "old" channel on a mix. Can I safely install the new channel over the old one, still expect the same sound from the mix next time I tweak it?

p
How do you have the old one set? The new one defaults to what the old one called 'neve' settings with the 'analog soften' control at halfway. If you previously were using the drive control at full crank you can exactly replicate that at full analog soften, or if you had it all the way off, same thing. Intermediate settings should not be very different but this is the new saturation section that's in the Character plugs and it's not exactly the same.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the detailed explanation
Old 30th September 2007
The gatelope sounds like a great idea especially with the dry/wet parallel setting.
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Nut

Hi again Chris,

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

let's say I:
Mixed a song, used old Channel. Saved it.
Installed new channel. Re-opened the song. Without touching anything, will it sound the same? does the new channel replaces the old one? if it does, is it backward-compatible?

ta,
p
Old 1st October 2007
Could the "Kick" Plugin be used for toms as well?
Old 1st October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by papiel View Post
Hi again Chris,

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

let's say I:
Mixed a song, used old Channel. Saved it.
Installed new channel. Re-opened the song. Without touching anything, will it sound the same? does the new channel replaces the old one? if it does, is it backward-compatible?

ta,
p

As Chris said in the first post, it sounds identical but would appears a little confusing. For instance, I had one song set as API at around 66%. When I swapped the component (AU) plug for the new one, I now have these values:

Analog Soften: 2.0
Slew Limit: 66
Bass Restrict: .5

I can only assume this is identical to how the "API" setting would sound, however when I adjust Slew Limit, suddenly, I can't get it quite that high (a value) again -- it has to stay between 0 and 1.

To capture near identical settings follow the "guide" which is above. I find it to be (obviously) less intuitive to remove the API, Neve etc. settings but like the new level of saturation you can get.

Keep up the great work, Chris. Do you never sleep???
Old 1st October 2007
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by drycounty View Post
Analog Soften: 2.0
Slew Limit: 66
Bass Restrict: .5

I can only assume this is identical to how the "API" setting would sound
My GOD, no O_O

That's the trouble with some of this stuff, you can't always maintain sensible compatibilty without making compromises.

For Channel, I would go so far as to say, REMOVE the original plug or the new instance, and start up a new default Channel in the same place, and that's going to be pretty much it. This isn't an extreme plug in the first place- the new version makes more striking effects possible, but neither one is really designed to make big tone changes, it's working on subtleties.

I can go farther than that and say: if it is that important to have old projects open exactly the way they were, you shouldn't be doing updates and new versions. I'm trying not to do this too much, and sometimes I'm able to do an update where (like with the new Character plugs) the old settings will still mean the same thing, new more extreme settings are opened up, and new controls appear without interfering with the old ones. For that to happen, all new controls have to be added at the bottom only, and no controls can change in type or anything. I had a fellow on BigBlue investigating Channel and he swore that the API/Neve/SSL popup was doing absolutely nothing... he did null tests where nothing happened. I did null tests where it did, but it was so damn subtle that I decided to break out the controls separately, so you could do more with them, and default to the original 'Neve' setting, which according to this guy was exactly the same as the other two...

All for a free plugin, but a popular one.

I'm sorry for the changes in Channel not making sense in saved material- if people need it, I can make a backup version of the old plug available. It's just that I don't want it to be out- the popup didn't work for all users, the initialization could fail under DP making a loud noise, and I got tired of trading on the names of good console makers. That was before I did the character plugs, before I dealt with Liquid Mix and the sintefex trademarks restricting how I could even talk about some types of processing- I updated Channel to make it better represent how I do things today.

Can't sleep QUITE yet, either- I have the other half of my inventory to update!
Old 1st October 2007
Airwindows

OK, this is starting to get pretty rough, but...

I now have major upgrades for Logical and NEVERLAND.

Logical took a lot of wrestling with, and I'm no longer sure if it is that close to the actual sound of an SSL- what I can say is, it's really dramatic while also less distorted. Instead of a 'hardness' control that goes from fuzz to mostly clean, it now has a dry/wet control, and all the fuzz is now compressor aura.

Neverland, I wrestled with that a bunch too, and now instead of thinning things out (thanks Redroom) it does the same slight increase in 'throb and dynamics' but it does it while making everything FATTER. I was hearing elements in some of my test tracks with both of these that I hadn't heard on the straight recordings. Neverland is now living up to what people would think would happen if you got a plug inspired by Neve stuff, if not going beyond- exaggerated settings are pretty huge, bass can get a leetle enthusiastic on this one.

Just so's you know, Elation, Logical, and Neverland are all gonna jump to $60 when the update goes in, because in addition to the reliability *ahem* bugfixes for Logic 8, which everything got, these guys all got so much additional work that they easily rival Iron Oxide, Hard Vacuum etc. as my 'most awesome' plugs. I'll see what I can do about getting some demos up on mediafire, but know that if you're on the list of those who bought it already for $50, you certainly will not have to pay anything more to get the new one as an update. So if anyone is really anxious to save $10, be daring and get 'em before I have the updates in place and raise the price :D

Also, do not expect them to sound and work the same, expect them to sound and work better and differently. Especially Neverland. Neverland is UTTERLY different and quite astonishing really. Anyone who bought it before hoping it would be 'lush and big', you ain't heard NOTHING yet
Old 1st October 2007
right on. I just started using neverland. I can't wait to hear the update
Old 1st October 2007
Airwindows

Don't get too used to it the way it is! I hadda fix it, bigtime! It's unrecognizably better!

Just uploaded all the updated freebies and finished ALL the coding. Have to do a bit of web updating and sending things to Kagi. Haven't eaten all day and now it's almost 4:30 AM. *bleah* once I'm finished with this work (not like anybody else is going to do it for me) I'm making tacos and watching a movie even if it's, like, dawn.

Freebies, the total list:

http://www.airwindows.com/f/AcousticBass.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/AirwindowsImpulses.zip
http://www.airwindows.com/f/CabAlnico10.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/CabPrinceton.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/CabSVT.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Channel.dmg -96K
http://www.airwindows.com/f/ChannelEQ.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Density.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Drive.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Flutter.dmg (mono and stereo versions, no delay compensation)
http://www.airwindows.com/f/FreeChamberCJ.dmg (deprecated)
http://www.airwindows.com/f/FreeverbCJ.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Gate.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Nikola.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Pressure.dmg -96K
http://www.airwindows.com/f/RMSBuddyCJ.dmg
http://www.airwindows.com/f/SampleDelay.dmg -96K savvy millisecond slider
http://www.airwindows.com/f/Slew.dmg -96K
http://www.airwindows.com/f/StereoChorus.dmg

Actually, you know what?

Eat those up and I'll work with Kagi this coming week. There's plenty of neat stuff coming, but I'm starving and exhausted and I'm catching that movie NOW. Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search