The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting a mbox2 to an 003 Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Connecting a mbox2 to an 003

HeyIm trying to record some drums and want more than 4 tracks, as of now the only other mic pres i got are the two from an mbox2. I know i can connect it to the 003 via spdif. Yet how do i use both the mbox and 003's inputs at the same time in PTLE? I tried doing it and i just ended up really frustrated.
Old 12th September 2007
What you're trying to do is impossible - the MBox isn't designed to work as a standalone preamp with built in A/D.

The only way to do what you're trying to is to use the Mbox as an analogue pre. Set the Mix control to 100% direct signal, and run from the analogue outs to inputs 5/6 on the 003.

Note that to be able to do this, you'll need the Mbox hooked up to a computer. Now I think you're asking for problems if you try to connect it to the same computer that the 003 is running from - however, I can't see that you'd need PT to be running on the computer just to get analogue throughput - any computer with a USB connection should work - you just need power for the Mbox.

Bear in mind that the pres in the Mbox are possibly the weakest thing in it though....
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

gotcha i could try it like how you said, i also have a multimix firewire that has a spdif out on it, i could probably use that too, i guess ill just have to hook em up and see. thanks
Old 13th September 2007
Again, unless it says it specifically works as a standalone converter, you'll run into the same problems of latency.

The Mbox fortunately has the direct monitoring mode accessible via the mix control (multimix might also do the same thing via software low-latency monitoring, but there's still likely to be samples-worth of latency involved).

Don't try to overcomplicate the issue - else you'll spend ages trying to make something work and end up frustrated. You're not going to gain anything going in digitally to the 003 - the 003's A/D conversion is better than the Mbox's anyway.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
gotcha i could try it like how you said, i also have a multimix firewire that has a spdif out on it, i could probably use that too, i guess ill just have to hook em up and see. thanks
why don't you use the pres in the alesis, and SPDIF it into the 003?
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
why don't you use the pres in the alesis, and SPDIF it into the 003?
yeah thats what i meant to do, i duno why physco monkey said "You're not going to gain anything going in digitally to the 003"?

Cant i go spdif into the 003 from the mbox2? I'd rather use the mbox2 than the alesis multimix for transportation ease.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

he means that the a/d isn't as good on the mbox, so it's better to just go in analog (as you still have 4 more analog inputs) and let the 003 convert it.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search