The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommendations for HD recorder for ADAT Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Recommendations for HD recorder for ADAT

Hi all.
I'm going to build in some redundancy into my signal chain as I have been embarrassed when the PC pooped itself and I was left with a session of data lost. So I'm splitting my signal in ADAT lightpipe format and going to send a copy from my converters to both the PC Card and (potentially) a Hard Disk Recorder. I have done the old search for Hard Disk recorders on the forum and come up with the HD24Xr and the XR24, neither of which I am familiar with using and look like they have converters built-in????. So I am looking for recommendations on a piece of gear...not tape ADAT as I have had bad experiences with that... that can convert ADAT lightpipe input to a stored and retrievable file format. Don't be constrained by the two units mentioned above.

Thanks in advance

Mick
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm happy with the HD24. You aren't going to get much better for $2000.

You can find them used for about $1200.

The HD24XR has better converters. The same converters that are in the Radar 24 units, I believe.

If you are going straight in via lightpipe, just get the non XR version. There is no difference other than the converters, and the converters in the non-XR version are pretty good as it is.

If you are just going in lightpipe, you could get a Profire Lightbridge and set up another barebones DAW too. Just a cpu and a firewire card. Probably be a bit cheaper. Or get one of the used MOTU 2408s floating around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search