The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 3124 / Drums Condenser Microphones
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

API 3124 / Drums

For best results do you pad in or out on snare and toms ?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

are you clipping the pre? then pad in. are you not clipping the pre? then pad out. obviously there will be sonic differences no matter where you pad it. i have had instances where i have had to pad the mic with a whirlwind and hit the pad button on another mic pre. it really amounts to what needs to be done to get good signal to the tracking device. the pad is only there if you need it. mind you creative types might do whatever to get a different sound, so my answer is not the end all, just a thought.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamonrye View Post
are you clipping the pre? then pad in. are you not clipping the pre? then pad out. obviously there will be sonic differences no matter where you pad it. i have had instances where i have had to pad the mic with a whirlwind and hit the pad button on another mic pre. it really amounts to what needs to be done to get good signal to the tracking device. the pad is only there if you need it. mind you creative types might do whatever to get a different sound, so my answer is not the end all, just a thought.
yes in clipping, loud players or loud snare drums can clip easy, also guitar amps are paded almost evertime, signal is way to hot going in.
Its impossible to record a kick without pad in.
Old 12th September 2007
I bought some 10 db inline pads and use them on the outputs of my 3124; it allows me to drive the input into the red without clipping my converter and in my opinion sounds superior to the input pads on the unit itself. Especially on kick, snare, and guitars.

Hope this helps,

Cory Spotts
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
I bought some 10 db inline pads and use them on the outputs of my 3124; it allows me to drive the input into the red without clipping my converter and in my opinion sounds superior to the input pads on the unit itself. Especially on kick, snare, and guitars.

Hope this helps,

Cory Spotts
That's actually a great idea. What pads are you using?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
yes in clipping, loud players or loud snare drums can clip easy, also guitar amps are paded almost evertime, signal is way to hot going in.
it's standard protocol to just kick in the pad, if you want to be esoteric you could get some schoeps pads, they are pricey though.. i have a feeling most folks just use the built in pads on the api and whatever mic's they might be using. it's usually a given with the some api stuff that you have to pad on loud sources. how you pad is your choice.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Yup pads in if it needs it.

But sometimes when I'm in the mood for something smushy, I'll patch the output of the API into a compressor (last time it was a DBX160) and use the compressor mostly as an attenuator with only GR on the loudest hits.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

"and use the compressor mostly as an attenuator "

Same can be said for using a EL Fatso,..
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't think I've ever used an API pre on drums without the pad. It's a hot pre on a hot source. I like the idea about padding after the pre. Didn't think of that.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
"and use the compressor mostly as an attenuator "

Same can be said for using a EL Fatso,..

This sounds like a great idea, i will have to try this one....thanks
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Same for Loud Guitars as well. You can really push the input of the Fatso to give up some interesting sounds..
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
I bought some of these guys and also a pair of 20 db pads as well. I use whatever works best for the source (usually the 10 db).
Pro Co MAX10 | Sweetwater.com
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Padding the back side of the API has beeing going on for decades. It's really the only way to do it for rock in my opinion.

Neil
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

pads all the way...

API is very sensitive and needs to pad the input for loud sources... it's pretty standard over here

J.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

I like not using the pad on snare drums. You definetly have to send into something to attenuate it before your converter. It'll help control the dynamics and add a lot of sustain to the drum without killing the attack.

Its my favorite snare tracking compressor...
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red View Post
I like not using the pad on snare drums. .............. add a lot of sustain to the drum without killing the attack.

Its my favorite snare tracking compressor...

I would agree on this, yet while doing a drum check before tracking, the snare itself might not sound so great at the time, but try putting some guitar and bass with it and listen to the snare harmonics that its throwing out, unbelieveable tones.
That itself only proves that sometimes when something does not sound so sweet try letting it sit in the mix and then take a second listen, then is when it becomes the wow,omg factor.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Exactly. In the mix it adds a lot of depth and size to the drum.

The only time it doesnt sound good in tracking to me is when the snare isnt tuned well and its bringing out some nasty sustain.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Shure has theirs for ~$40, Hosa for ~$20 and these guys for ~$12:
Naiant Studio

Oh there is the ATTY for ~$100 which has variable control. That is nice.

Regards,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoink View Post
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

API 3124+ / Drums

I've been using the 3124+ for kick, snare, overheads. Kick, D6 no pad, no gain. Snare, 57, 20db pad, 9:30 gain. Overheads, Studio Projects C4 omnis, 20db pad, noon gain. Consistent good sound, leaving room in other pres/directs for guitars, bass, etc. API on overheads may be my favorite. Lots of local audio guys really like the APIs on cymbals.
Old 30th October 2010
Gear Head

help whit my api gear!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I have the SAME problemmmmmmmmmm!!!
I track kick, snare and toms thru the api 3124!!
The pad is pressed in all 4 chanels, the gain knob at minium and it is still clipping (red led in EVERY hit). I use D112-Sm57-421!!
If i track the kick it always clip harder!! (in the api 3124) I never turn the gain knob of my apis!! It always is clipping in drum tracks and loud guitar cabs!!

ANY SUGGESTION?? Please please pleasee!!
Old 30th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by amishsixstringe View Post
Padding the back side of the API has beeing going on for decades. It's really the only way to do it for rock in my opinion.

Neil
the back side is the inputs or the outputs of the api??
Old 31st October 2010
Old 31st October 2010
Gear Maniac

Forgot to mention that I do it this way cause my converters have a input gain knob and are very easy to adjust. By going mic>pad>preamp I can control the amount of overload to the preamp and I just turn down the input in my converters.

I think most people are going to use it mic>pre>pad>converter
Old 31st October 2010
API 3124 / Drums

Even with the pad you can still clip.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Hepworth View Post
Even with the pad you can still clip.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Got myself one of these and never had any more problems.

I use this thing ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the time when feeding my converters.
Old 1st November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsound View Post
the back side is the inputs or the outputs of the api??
"Back side of the API" as in the back side of the API's signal chain.

API (to me anyway) is all about padding and cranking it up and pad and crank some more.
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Andreas, What pad do you use in the back?
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Addict

Just figured I should mention the Little Labs 8810U8ERS (eight attenuators). Really excellent tool for people with lots of API or people who just need some attenuation. It can come in very handy.

Best,
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear
I've got the Api A2D and generally don't use the pad and use the 2:1 tranny tap switch instead - seems to allow more character.

I was looking at possibly selling my A2D and picking up a 3124 and UA 4 d-710 combo, depending on the UA conversion; I think that would be a pretty sweet 8pre 8 a/d front end but I'm waiting on reviews of the 4 d710.

I use the 2:1 switch more or less all the time, and I would miss it's absence on the 3124 - it's really nice on synths and bass DI.

I really don't want to part company with my A2D as it's been the centre-piece of my studio for 3 years! it would be a real wrench losing it - although if the replacement is as good as I think it might be then I'm sure I'd survive!
Old 20th November 2010
Gear Addict

did a live record a few months back with 24 channels of API, every single channel was padded... i honestly found it a little annoying, but hey, it sounded good.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search