The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
movie shoot recording
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

movie shoot recording

I got a in on doing two track movie shoot recordings. I would have to gear up. Do any of you have any experience doing that? It's Panavision stuff and the guy uses a Mackie 1604 a couple of digital two track Nagra replacements - Fostex, and some sort of two track mixer that I had never seen, a boom with a shotgun ect. I'm on the fence right now. Good money and long hours. There is also a lot of wireless. Installing the mics on the the actresses right boob or left.........
I have been trying to find groups that deal with that sort of thing. Anybody?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Might want to post this in the "Post Production" forum.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've done it before. It's fun if you have the time and patience. My best advice while doing it, is to shut up as if you were a studio intern making coffee. Talk when you must, but asides from that, don't butt in and don't give your recommendations unless asked for.

The AD will be trying to keep things on schedule, and you don't want to disrupt the flow. If something is seriously wrong soundwise speak up, and of course call that the tape/digital IS rolling at the beginning of each take. Keep notes (very helpful).

If you've got the time, and want to have a new experience meet cool people, do it. If you're pressed for time, and such... then don't. Film is a neat thing to get into and you have a blast doing it normally.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I worked on a shoot as an audio engineer in addition to the sound guys they had at the shoot.

it was a bunch of kids playing instruments so they wanted a direct to Protools. We rented a Protools rig and a Grace Design 8 micpre box (smokin!) plus mics I brought from the studio.

Sound recording for film shoots is a pain in the ass IMHO. You have to be very clerical and its mainly about level to tape. A skill no less. But holding a boom mic does not seem very glamourous to me. It seems very 'occupational'.

They keep you fed which is nice, but I am a particular eater. The 'hurry up and wait' thing is a drag, pays ok.

A gigs a gig, I just did not find the gear, technique, and process that appealing. tutt
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktf View Post
I have been trying to find groups that deal with that sort of thing.
Here are some groups:

rec.audio.pro group
rec.arts.movies.production.sound group
rec.arts.movies.tech group
rec.arts.movies.production group

Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I appreciate your responces. can't say that it's made my decision any easier. It's hard to get very excited about the no music thing. And if it falls on my lot to hold that boom that will break it right there. The people did seem very nice though, and why not... Beats flipping burgers. I guess i'll go to a couple of more shoots and help out where I can and then maybe things will become clearer. Cheers to you all.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Oh, and thanks for those links Soundproof!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

No probs!

All I can add is that I feel the same thing about music gigs as you doing this. I love the whole movie etc. side of the audio biz(on location or post). That's why I for one,am here. I have yet a lot to learn but all the shoots I've been to have been very educating and I know you'll learn something from this gig as well.

Good luck!

Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

I got on the job training back on the 80s in video productiion, i know so much has change since then but i had a knack for doing this, loved it !!! We did industrial product tool for companies and did shoots for apartments as well, hey while i was there i even shot a video of my band and landed on MTV basement tapes in 1987. again i like that field as well. When it has anything to do with cameras are audio, studio or field im game.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search