The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
wich DAW in following order DAW Software
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

wich DAW in following order

There are all kinds of software sequencers. Some easy and some very difficult.

So for everyone; wich sequencer/DAW is the easy and wich the difficult when it comes up to: interface-layout,workflow,possibilitys,

So put the following sequencers in the right following order of easy to most difficult. When you have to choose from the following options:

Reaper
Logic
Cubase
Nuendo
Live
Samplitude
Sequoia
ProTools
Calkwalk Sonar
Fruity loops
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeklanoei View Post

So for everyone; wich sequencer/DAW is the easy and wich the difficult when it comes up to: interface-layout,workflow,possibilitys,

So put the following sequencers in the right following order of easy to most difficult. When you have to choose from the following options:

Reaper
Logic
Cubase
Nuendo
Live
Samplitude
Sequoia
ProTools
Calkwalk Sonar
Fruity loops

This will be a flame war for sure

Never heard of Live what is it?

I will say Protools is by far the least intuitive
Logic , Cubase/Nuendo and Samplitude/Sequoia would be the easiest
Fruity loops is more like acid not really a DAW............
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I guess we better ask someone who has used them all- if such person exists...
Old 11th September 2007

From the ones that I've used:

Pro Tools
Cubase/Nuendo (they're very similar, in fact, what are the differences between those two? I guess that a few features here and there)
Cakewalk
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hi
I don't know all of these daws and i am not interested into a flam war.
I own Live and Reaper, i used to use Acid and Fruity Loops some years ago.

I just wanted to say that Fruity Loops is not at all like Acid :
Acid was really audio-only for a long time, and is still mostly a loop-editing software. You can go further ahead that and make nice slicing/editing, but the use of virtual instruments is really a mess and sh_tty as hell.
Fruity loops IS indeed a DAW, and is very handy and has became better after each upgrade. I don't really know how it is now, but it shouldn't be under-estimated : you can set up a sketch/skeleton/project very quickly, BUT you can also make accurate editing if you need. One good point is that it can run as a plugin in another DAW and has a rahter flexible routing as far as i know. The ting that makes it have a "beginner dj" reputation is because it is very easy to program loops, and it is not really audio-recording-editing-orientated as some others daw, but it is not true to say that it can't do it.
Now, i don't use FL anymore : i have switched to Live since v4 (when handling of vsti & midi came in). Live is amazing, because workflow-wise, it is a killer app, mainly if you're into recording ideas (may it be audio or midi) on the fly, and need to post-edit it.
I am also using Reaper, which is newer, a lot less intuitive, but very powerfull, with a huge speed of development. It has replaced Acid since more than one year now, and i really don't want to come back to Acid at all !
The main difference (according to my very own workflow) is that i use Live for realtime recording/tweaking + midi and sketching ideas, then i am editing stems and post-processing it in Reaper.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

btw, i think you should be more specific in your question :
what are your needs ?

- it is very difficult to answer, as Acid i think is the most "limited" daw from the ones i know from you list, but it might be the best for dealing quickly, accurately with some loops if that is what you need. (well, eveb if now i think even Live would be better wihen it comes to dealing with loops and warp markers)
- Fruity loops might be a weapon of choice if you need flexible intuitive powerfull midi stuff, but i think you should avoid it if it comes to work primarly with audio, and if you have to make a lot of variations/slicing/post-editing it can become a headache.
- Samplitude, Cubase, Reaper seems to be a little bit in the same league, according at what people is saying on Reaper's forum (and where do they come from), but i don't know these apps so i couldn'tell myself. What i can say is : Reaper is ok for audio recording/editing. If you need deep midi stuff, it is still quite light on this side.
- And, at last, if i am a real Live addict, i can't really get my head around to use it in "timeline" mode. It is powerfull, but not that much intuitive, and this is why i am using more "timelined-classic-sequencers" along with Live.

I hope it helps.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Is there a reason Digital Performer is missing from the list? That's one of the more intuitive DAWs I've used. But I haven't used all of the ones on your list, and I doubt anyone has enough to be able to properly rank them. And it would be subjective anyway.

Logic is my DAW of choice now, but I think it has quite a steep learning curve; I wouldn't say it was easy to use.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

cubase and nuendo are the same, only nuendo has a surround engine... which makes it less easy

let's also have a stabily list... my cubase 4 just crashed.... :(
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

boeklanoei.
actually u missed a couple of interesting ones.

you missed powertracks...imho the best value for money fully featured midi software.
(and does nice audio...but not up to reapers level of features.)
i use powertracks n reaper.
former for midi now and latter for all my audio tracking.
both are dam easy. just arm a track n record.
couldnt be easier. no dongles in either.

but all the products on your list will let you do a nice song.
its all user preference. (by the way you also missed SAW....and a few others.)

one interesting app u missed is pg's band in a box.
can save a bunch of tracking time.
surprised youve not heard of it as its used all over the world even in music colleges.
horrors of horrors..lol...even some pro tools users use it.
its rather unique. (pgmusic.com for demo/forum/more user references.)
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Workflow, interface layout, possibility, quickest learning curve:

1) Sonar 6 producer
2) Sonar 6 producer
3) Sonar 6 producer

For me anyway
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Reaper
Logic
Cubase
Nuendo
Live
Samplitude
Sequoia
ProTools
Calkwalk Sonar
Fruity loops
Only can comment on the ones i used on different projects.

Pro Tools
Live
Reaper
Samplitude
Sonar
Nuendo
Cubase
Logic
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by backplay View Post
Only can comment on the ones i used on different projects.

Pro Tools
Live
Reaper
Samplitude
Sonar
Nuendo
Cubase
Logic
Also only on the ones I know but:

ProTools

Live
Nuendo
Cubase
DP

Logic

But it depends how your mind works- Those who are very technically musical ie trained musicians seem to tend to prefer Logic/DP
Engineer types seem to prefer PT and Cubase users seem to fall into neither of those camps.
Obviously the examples are gross generalisations from observations but none the less valid I feel.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

honestly... everyone is going to pick what they use. Whatever you started out on is generally going be what is easiest for you... cuz that how you learned.

Nuendo/Cubase is easiest for me, because when I started using Cubase (in around 1999 or 2000), I tried everything out there and thought Cubase made the most sense to me.

Things have changed DRAMATICALLY in those 7 or 8 years... but when I work on other platforms... they still don't seem as logically laid out (especially logic, ironically enough!). However... I don't know if that's because they simply aren't as logically laid out... or my brain is so well trained to work in Cubase/Nuendo... that learning a new way just seems way to hard.

I think you should do what I did... and go the music store where they have most of these... and spend an hour or two editing, and moving stuff around on all of them. Pick the one that you were able to do it the quickest on.

Don't worry... one will rise to the top, and that will be the right one for you.

Everyone's brain works differently... and that is why the designers all chose different ways to do the same thing.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

cubase and logic are the only two from that list that i've used. i'm a tracktion man myself - ask anyone who uses it and he will tell you that even without reading any documentation, you'll be making music within 5 minutes. it does away with the mixing desk metaphor and is probably the easiest program to learn.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Backplay and Fiely: are the DAW's,wich you've written down, selected in following order?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Never heard of Live what is it?
Ableton Live. Cool piece of software. Not quite a full featured DAW, more of a sample arranging tool quite suited for....live.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Backplay and Fiely: are the DAW's,wich you've written down, selected in following order?
Yes, from the most friendly to use to... well... Logic.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Based on my own usage history:

SONAR and Pro Tools( tied for 1st)
Garage Band
Nuendo (never used Cubase for more than a few minutes, but I'm sure it is similar)
Samplitude
Logic

For me, personally SONAR was always the easiest and most intuitive. Until I tried Pro Tools for the 1st time, no other DAW made as much 'sense' to me from the starting gate as SONAR.

I use SONAR, professionally all of the time. It is a great and stable app. Truth is, given the right machine and setup, most DAW software will work quite well these days. Like others have said, it comes down to how your brain works.
Old 12th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Whatever you started out on is generally going be what is easiest for you... cuz that how you learned.
Not in my case. I started using Cakewalk then changed to Cubase and like it more, especially for audio stuff. After a while I changed to Protools and like it even better and that's what I'm still using nowadays.
Old 12th September 2007
What's going to be easy for one person is going to be hard for another.

Also... it's hard to get on some programs' wavelengths -- but when you do, you may well find them much more efficient, with a straightforward workflow, once you know how everything comes together.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I've used Nuendo for a long time and I really LIKE that fake mixing desk. I'm old school and it suits my workflow.

Basically, Nuendo is Cubase with 7.1 and video.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Is there a reason Digital Performer is missing from the list?
I would like to ask the same question.
I switched from Cubase to DP some 8 years ago and as far as I remember it was really easy for me to "get in " the program in the begining. I can't say the same about Logic at least back then when I tried it.
Since then even though I consider myself a power user of DP, I still find ways of improving my workflow . DP is easy to learn but at the same time as deep as you dare to dig.
I think not including DP in this list is an omission.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search