The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonar vs Logic Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Sonar vs Logic

I currently run Sonar 6 producer ed. with a firestudio interface. I have never been quite satisfied with the sound i am getting, and since i just got a mac i was thinking about switching to logic and running it through a apogee ensemble (as per the suggestion of some local colleagues.) I was hoping for some thoughts or commentary, but also opinions on whether the logic setup would be able to put up a better sound than sonar.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

The software, the operating system, and the computer will sound the same.

The digital interface will be what differentiates the two systems.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfield View Post
I currently run Sonar 6 producer ed. with a firestudio interface. I have never been quite satisfied with the sound i am getting, and since i just got a mac i was thinking about switching to logic and running it through a apogee ensemble (as per the suggestion of some local colleagues.) I was hoping for some thoughts or commentary, but also opinions on whether the logic setup would be able to put up a better sound than sonar.
I used both Sonar and Logic, and now, while I still use them, I found doing OTB mixing and external treatments on the sound has improved my mixes in these ways:
- Better overall sense of balance.
- Better sound stage and depth.
- Sound is more 'alive'.

But, OTB isn't equipment, it's an approach that allows for 'speed of light' processing and the delights 'imperfection of real electronics'. Sure, my noise floor is higher, but stuff sounds better and most importantly, it's more fun.

I also agree with the poster above, that the ADC makes a big difference. I went from Sound Blaster (15 years ago to MAudio to DigiDesign MBOX to Motu to Lavry Blue and now it's simply awesome.

Depending on your environment, you may also want to re-think your monitoring/mastering. What monitors are you using, and have you measured/balanced your room? Acoustic room treatment (to flatten frequency and control reverberation) is probably the most important thing you can possibly do.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search