The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BNC cable?
Old 11th September 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
BNC cable?

Hi. If this subject has been done, sorry......Question: I know the deal on audio cables being subjective to sounding better because of " better copper, lack of impurities, etc., but do the same apply to BNC cables? What would be a good/better BNC cable to use? Thanks....
Old 11th September 2007
  #2
Gear Addict
 
macleod's Avatar
 

i use van damme 75ohm stuff works a treat.

K
Old 11th September 2007
  #3
DAS
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Hi. If this subject has been done, sorry......Question: I know the deal on audio cables being subjective to sounding better because of " better copper, lack of impurities, etc., but do the same apply to BNC cables?
It depends significantly on the application, but...yes, a better cable can help. For instance, if you're just transmitting word clock on it...you would want the edges of those square waves to be as sharp and clean as possible so the receiving device doesn't have to "guess" (very technical term there) where that leading edge is.
Old 11th September 2007
  #4


The purple ones sound the best - unless I'm depressed, then I like the yellow ones....



-tINY

Old 11th September 2007
  #5
Deleted 86c3d96
Guest
All I know

I bought three 6 foot Hosa cables for $22.00, and I hear no issues, but I certainly do hear problems when i turn off the word clock. Not really a scientific opinion. I tend to lend credence to the theory that if you can't hear the difference between cables, it probably makes little difference.
Old 12th September 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Take Canare (best quality on budget price) and forget all stories
Old 12th September 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang View Post
Take Canare (best quality on budget price) and forget all stories
heh...Thanks everyone!.......
Old 12th September 2007
  #8
I purchased the apogee WydeEYE BNC-BNC word clock cable for 59.95. The place I purchased it from did not send it for months so I went to Radio Shack and bought a 75 OHM BNC cable for $7.00. Once the Apogee cable arrived I switched them to see what the difference would be....THEY ARE THE SAME. No difference at all...hmmm
Old 12th September 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
I use JPS Labs SC3 for all my SDIF DSD work. There's none better!

Regards,
Bruce
Old 12th September 2007
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornchuck View Post
I purchased the apogee WydeEYE BNC-BNC word clock cable for 59.95. The place I purchased it from did not send it for months so I went to Radio Shack and bought a 75 OHM BNC cable for $7.00. Once the Apogee cable arrived I switched them to see what the difference would be....THEY ARE THE SAME. No difference at all...hmmm


The special "eye opener" style cables are good when the data transmission is marginal. You shouldn't hear a difference if the cheap one works at that distance.




-tINY

Old 12th September 2007
  #11
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post


The special "eye opener" style cables are good when the data transmission is marginal. You shouldn't hear a difference if the cheap one works at that distance.




-tINY

Wow...No difference huh..... The distance I will be using them will be about 3ft or less. So...which is better then, Radio Shack or Hosa?...
Old 12th September 2007
  #12


If you are never gonna move it, the Hosa will work fine.

I got the 75ohm wordclock cables I use here:

BNC Cables and Adapters


The RG59 type is 75 ohms



-tINY

Old 13th September 2007
  #13
WKG
Lives for gear
I picked up one of these from B&H Photo. 75 ohm, works fine and is pretty sturdy.

Sound Devices | BNC Male x1 to BNC Male x1 Time Code | XLBNC |
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
cc1 / High end
3
Way Of The Heart / So much gear, so little time
2
solo-act / High end
4
Ruphus / So much gear, so little time
13

Forum Jump
Forum Jump