The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Show some love for your LA4's Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Show some love for your LA4's

I'm currently in the process of mixing a project I did for a local hardcore band. I tracked the singer with a sm58/A-Designs P-1/API 550b/LA4 chain. I couldn't help noticing how the vocal just sat nicely in the mix with no other procesing ITB. The sound was just...there! We tried several other comps, ADL 1000, DBX 160 etc.... But something about that LA4 just handled the singers dynamic range beautifully! Though many engineers discourage it...I was knocking back 6 to 8 db on the loud passages. (Which was most of the time)

Come on and share the love! Post your LA4 experiences here!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
Use them everyday

They work great on Vocals, bass, guitars. A real fine comp with great price to match it.

I am not sure how the stock LA4's sound. My pair has an op-amp change from Eddie Ciletti that is suppose to make them not as dark sounding as the input is increased. Better slew rate in the opamp upgrade.

The nice thing about these is that you can choose different ratios on the LA-4.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

I love my LA4's, but they been abused in the past. They been to some bad techs I think, because there's some fishy wiring in there. They sound great, but I lose a significant amount of bottom end. So I can't use them on bass, but they still work great on most vocals.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae11 View Post
They sound great, but I lose a significant amount of bottom end. So I can't use them on bass, but they still work great on most vocals.
Isn't that usually a sign that the caps are going? Might be worth checking out.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
I have a pair that Bruce Siefried modded.....they sound great. I basically got them to do just that thing with the vocal...whether tracking of mixing.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
Isn't that usually a sign that the caps are going? Might be worth checking out.

This little blurb from Opamp and Capacitor Upgrades, PART-1

Capacitors — the weak link in almost any aged product — are failure prone over time making travel for low frequencies difficult. The end result is "thin" sound. You can test for bad capacitors without pulling a module; the fastest way requires a square-wave oscillator and an oscilloscope.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks for input guys. I believe it was completely recapped during it's last trip to the tech (a reputable one this time) but I will check with him and see exactly what the story was, because I don't quite remember.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search