The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Oz audio/Mackie HMX Headphone amp setup?
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

Oz audio/Mackie HMX Headphone amp setup?

Hello,
My first post...but I did search the archives beforehand. Hope I could enlist some help in setting up the following gear in an organized fashion. Please direct me to one of the sub forums if appropriate. We have a 4 man band. Bass/vocal, guitar/vocal, guitar/vocal, drums. Beringer xenyx 1832 mixer;Gem sound XP 350 mon. amp; Gem sound XP ;Main amp (a power conditioner and a 15 band equalizer). My confusion is largely because I"m the drummer..only kidding. AS the drummer I want to use my shure E5 in-ears and I have a Mackie HMX-56 amp. The rest of the band is using passive yamaha floor monitors. What is the best way to set this gear up? I will have a bunch of questions once someone responds I am sure...thanks in advance. sj ps..the mixer/amps/conditioner/equal are already together and working fine...my ? pertains to getting the headphone amp, in-ears and floor monitors hooked up logically..

Last edited by sjj123; 11th September 2007 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Are you using the console just for monitoring?

Two options:

1. If you have a headphone amp, run one mix off the board prefader aux to your headphone amp, and send another one or two to the floor monitor amp. I'm assuming that console has two prefader auxes. If it only has one, do a mix between this method and the one below.

2. Do up a basic fader mix, run the mix to the input of your headphone amp. Sub the drums/bass to one of the bus faders and run a line out to inject one on the headphone amp. Do the same with the vocals. line out the guitars to their own injects. Vary the assignments according to what you want to separate or control.

This way each member can control the level of the drum mix, guitars, vox over top of a base mix.

Run your mix to your headphones, run the other mixes to the amp for the floor monitors. Careful though - the signal to the floor monitor amps will be stronger than line level. You might want to pad the signal to avoid overloading the input.

I've got an original Oz Audio headphone amp. That's a good piece of gear you have there. I didn't know Mackie had bought it.
Old 11th September 2007
Here for the gear

thanks much Travis. yes I have an original Oz unit. MY learning curve is very steep right now while I try to learn all this. We are using the console and 2 amps to run main PA speakers and monitors (1 in-ear, 2 floor monitors). I do not have a head phone amp other than the Oz 6 phone output unit. So, fader mix means from the console to either the L or R main input on the oz or into one of the inject A-D sites? I am having some confusion with where to come out of the console....aux, sub, channel inserts...???

Sounds like your #2 is more my option?......"sub drums/bass to bus fader"...treat me as a 4th grader here Travis...I'm almost there. Can you re-describe a method based on above info...

I really am grateful since this is the most help anyone (including beringer and mackie) has been able to give me
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, the master out on the console into the L/R of the headphone amp.

The console has a few subgroups. You can assign the individual channels to these subgroups. assign the drum channels to one of them and take the line out from the subgroup to inject point A on the headphone amp. do the same with the vocal channels (or the guitar channels - depends on how you want to set it up.) then direct line out from any other channels on the console into the other inject points.

Then for each headphone channel, you get a base mix, and can boost the drums, guitars, vox, etc with A,B,C,D on your headphone amp.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search