The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Going back to my old studio today! Equalisers (HW)
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Going back to my old studio today! Major update!

I used to work in a studio in Brighton, MA that I helped to start up in 2003. I had a great time. Did the engineering thing there for about two years and learned a ton.

I had a falling out with the owner for several reasons, personal and businesswise. The relationships was ending. After a while, we wanted to literally physically start swinging at each other for various reasons. I haven't stepped a foot in there since December 2005.

But time mends things. The studio kept going, and I'm proud to have been part of it. I ran into him on the street last week with a band he's been playing with a ton. We shook hands and walked around in Daddy's Junky Music picking up a few last minute things for a show they were playing. It was good to see him, and we both agreed that things were now good between us. I know that some of the majors differences that I had with him at the time, are simply no longer issues for me.

Today, he's having me come back into the studio to check out the changes of the past two years. I think (and fear) that he's perhaps gotten rid of some of my favorite gear (JH-24), but picked up a LOT of other juicy stuff, including a grand piano and yet more compressors, guitars, and a bigger procontrol.

I am very excited to see it, and the small chance that I might have the opportunity to engineer a few things on the side, or at least have a space and studio that I'm really comfortable in to be recorded in, with me playing the role of artist.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Freelancing there again.

So everything went really well! We have resolved our differences and he made me a good offer. Basically I can rent the studio from him for a (very very very) reasonable rate, and book it for myself, or anyone else, and keep the difference. There's a few other (2-3) good engineers doing it too there, so it's fairly booked, but that's a good thing!

So I'm back in business as a freelance engineer after being out for almost two years. The studio has grown considerably. I'm not wanting to do this full-time again, so I'll likely just be trying to book 2-3 days a week at best. My 'dayjob' is really flexible, so if I need to book on a Tuesday for the studio, I can do that and work on Sunday instead.

There's a sick amount of gear in there. It's a Protools HD|3 rig, Apogee AD-16/Swissonics DA + DAC-1. Strong assortment of standard mics. Plus the outboard rack has grown. I think it needs some outboard reverb (maybe a Bricasti M7?), but otherwise it's a nice place to track! He also has Logic 7 Pro, and DP5 for importing sessions (which is nice, since I use Logic Pro now at home).

I uploaded a few photos. Check it out! (Not in the photos is a baby grand piano, and yet more guitars... plus a vocal booth, etc..) We also have a good drumkit (Pork Pie) and a second drum room.
Attached Thumbnails
Going back to my old studio today!-main.jpg   Going back to my old studio today!-geetars.jpg   Going back to my old studio today!-procontrol.jpg   Going back to my old studio today!-rackz.jpg   Going back to my old studio today!-snares.jpg  

Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

In case you're having a hard time seeing in the photos of the rack

From top to bottom, starting with the left:

(2) Distressors w/Brit Mod
(2) Urei LA-3As
(2) Tubetech CL-B1s
JoeMeek VC5 (stereo)
(2) Speck ASC-T Eqs

Right side:
(not shown, Blue Robbie on top)
Shadow Hills Industries Golden Age
API 3124 (4 channels)
Chandler Germanium
Behinger piece of ****. Only used for overloading and making stuff sound bad.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, and as a side note- I plan to be finally putting together my album and recording/mixing most of it there this winter. Need to find a place to get it mastered, but it should be interesting. I have some people in mind for mastering already, but I'll have to see how the mixes turn out first.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search