The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sennheiser E906 LOVE! Dynamic Microphones
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sennheiser E906 LOVE!

Damn. Got one of these on a whim (my sole SM57 has walked and I decided to try this as it turned up with an attractive buy it now on ebay)
Put it up on my Fender Vibro Champ and LOVE it.. I would call this a seriously classy mic for the money. Need more......
Anyone else feeling this love?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yup- I'm in.

It has great attack and a good partner to the darker Beyer m201.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Tell me more comparing the E906 to the M201. The 906 is my goto amp close mic. I have been interested in the Beyer as a 57 replacement for snare. Do you use anywhere you use a 57?

I normally leave the 906 in the flat position. I believe that is sounds closest to the MD409 in that position. Anybody have a different take?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

How do the 906 and the 609 differ?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Never tried a 609 but the 906 has a 3 position switch for what I presume is a low pass filter. After that I can't say, but a recent shoot out had most people remarking that the 906 was better than the 609
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I posted these audio clips a couple of years ago.....

Sennheiser 409/609/906 audio clips
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Never tried a 609 but the 906 has a 3 position switch for what I presume is a low pass filter. After that I can't say, but a recent shoot out had most people remarking that the 906 was better than the 609
I think the switch is more supposed to model the 409 and old 609s.

I like mine. It's surprisingly detailed. That and a 421 are my go-to mics for electric guitars cabs (I don't have any ribbons yet).
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by corworld View Post
Tell me more comparing the E906 to the M201. The 906 is my goto amp close mic. I have been interested in the Beyer as a 57 replacement for snare. Do you use anywhere you use a 57?
The idea is to use two complimentary mics, one bright and one dark- the E906 is quite a bright sounding mic and the Beyer a darker sound and blend them to try to replicate the sound in the room.
I set it to 50/50 and then if it is too bright, push the beyer, if too dark, push the 906.

I've pretty much stopped using 57's completely- no real reason except I can usually find a different mic to do the job that I prefer- plus as much as it is a cliche to say it, the new 57's don't sound like the old ones and I only have new ones.

On snare I tend to use an RE20 or the M201 although I've been using a GT Convertible a lot lately as well. It is a wonderful mic for $150. Get one!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
On snare I tend to use an RE20
while i can totally understand the RE20 being an excellent snare mic......how in the world do you get it in there? heh

cheers,
wade
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrface2112 View Post
while i can totally understand the RE20 being an excellent snare mic......how in the world do you get it in there? heh

cheers,
wade
Bring it in from directly above with a 20 foot boom. OR make the drummer play with his hands. heh
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

Other mics I have just used on guitar cabs are the Beyer M88 (a bit darker but rich) and the Heil PR20, they are both great on snare too. Highly recommended.
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

I have th e906, and I got that to replace the 609 at a place they were using. I love it, really easy to carry in my cable bag, and when they run out of mic stands, its no biggie. I found it smoother to me then the 609 and a tad fuller.

However, I still prefer a 421, and been using that mostly when i get the chance live.

I don't like the 57 much for anything.

I hated the 906 on a snare drum though, the Audix I5 is much much better for that, and I woudl venture to guess do just fine on a guitar cab.
Old 7th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes, love. Much love. Mine is all sticky from my affections

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search