The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mounting nearfields Studio Monitors
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Mounting nearfields

What are your thoughts on mounting nearfields to the wall via some sort of wall mount? Does it negatively affect the resonance or sound of the speaker?
Many thanks!

Tom
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

The mounts won't make your speakers sound sound any different.

Do you want to sit that close to a wall?
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

Some of us have no choice. I'm in a small room with monitors at 10cm from the wall. I recently wrote to Genelec (I own their 8030's) asking for advice on this subject. They told me to wallmont my speakers so to avoid sound transmission to my furniture and to check the bass roll-off's setup in my speakers (I was experiencing unwanted bass freq reinforcement, which seems to be one of the most noticeable troubles with speakers mounted near to a wall). I'm waiting for those wallmounts to arrive now (about $40 each! ) so I can't tell the real life improvement they are yet. When listening to records I know well through my same speakers placed far from a wall (not in my home studio) I've noticed a deeper perceived sound stage. It really bothers me not being able to achieve this in my home setup.

My first post here on gearslutz. I dare to post just because I talked to Genelec a few days ago. Maybe you should consider writing to your speaker's manufacturer support team.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magibatalla View Post
Some of us have no choice. I'm in a small room with monitors at 10cm from the wall. I recently wrote to Genelec (I own their 8030's) asking for advice on this subject. They told me to wallmont my speakers so to avoid sound transmission to my furniture and to check the bass roll-off's setup in my speakers (I was experiencing unwanted bass freq reinforcement, which seems to be one of the most noticeable troubles with speakers mounted near to a wall). I'm waiting for those wallmounts to arrive now (about $40 each! ) so I can't tell the real life improvement they are yet. When listening to records I know well through my same speakers placed far from a wall (not in my home studio) I've noticed a deeper perceived sound stage. It really bothers me not being able to achieve this in my home setup.

My first post here on gearslutz. I dare to post just because I talked to Genelec a few days ago. Maybe you should consider writing to your speaker's manufacturer support team.
Welcome to gearslutz.

Wall mounting will prevent bass transmission, but so will setting your monitors on foam risers. There are a few companies that make them specifically for NF monitors. I see them at the local big box music stores. As long as you aren't putting your speakers on big resonant chambers, like an empty cabinet or roadcase, nearfields aren't generally much of an issue. All depends on your setup, though.

The mastering guys would probably give the best advice. They generally pay very close attention to speaker placement and mounting.

My speaker stands are the bottom half of inverted telescoping roundbase mic stands in cymbal stand tripods. This way I can adjust the height depending on my speakers and setup.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the replies. Space is an issue for me as well and I understand that having the speakers too close to the wall isn't ideal. I'll be trying several speakers before purchasing so I won't get to test each of them mounted on the wall. But I will contact the manufacturers as suggested. I'm gathering that it's not too big of a problem to do so if necessary.
magibatalla, if you get a chance, post how it works out when you get your speakers mounted.
Thanks again!

Tom

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search