The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gnarls Barkley: an interesting addition to the TLM103 debate Condenser Microphones
Old 11th September 2007

Gnarls Barkley: an interesting addition to the TLM103 debate

Quote:
Danger Mouse initiated things by sending tracks to Cee Lo, who then began recording his vocals in a booth at Ben's Maze Studios using a Neumann TLM103 fed into a Neve 33118 microphone preamp/EQ, compressed through a UA 1176. Despite their distinctive sound, Ben says that the vocals actually remained fairly unprocessed
from here (Sound on Sound interview).

What amazes me is the sound of that combo (Cee Lo, TLM103, Neve 33118, UA 1176) is so smooth fat and old skool... SO unlike my experience, when I was recorded: voice/acoustic gtr >>> TLM103 into a Drawner 1960.

Harsh

just goes to prove once and for all it really is the sum of the parts that counts.

Interestingly enough:

Quote:
I was also used to making things sound a little bit cleaner, but the goal with Gnarls Barkley was to make something that sounded both old and new at the same time, so that the backing was like a vintage record, while Cee Lo's vocals sounded modern. And if you listen to the record in a studio on a good set of speakers, Cee Lo's vocals always sound the shiniest, brightest, thing in any given song.
I don't hear the vocals that way. To me at least, they do have a vintage vibe to them. Perhaps it really is just his voice!
Old 11th September 2007
no ssl yet
It just proves that everyone reading this probably has some PRO level toys and they need to go use them instead of lusting over what they don't have.

(Though I do need some NEVE flavor at my spotheh)
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

That doesnt surprise me at all. My complaints with this mic is that it is very shiny and upfront. Thats the way his vox sound on the record. Cee Lo's is a pretty unique voice, especially for commercial music. I record mostly rock singers and it does not work well on stuff like that IMO. Glad someone found a use for it.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

cee-lo is a super-talented freak! he sounds (on his solo records anyway) like a raving baptist minister on helium!.......next time you have a raving baptist minister on helium in the studio.....and you want to capture the perfect 'shiny' take....you know which mic to reach for.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have a friend that has had a recent revelation with this mic...
He says you have to back off the mic give a little breathing room
most singers, mcs, etc want to be up close and personal with the mic they are recording into.

AA
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

great mic .

i used it with an avalon 737 and it sounds great .
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I think the TLM-103 pairs great with Singers with deep voices..
Old 11th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
cee-lo is a super-talented freak! he sounds (on his solo records anyway) like a raving baptist minister on helium!.......next time you have a raving baptist minister on helium in the studio.....and you want to capture the perfect 'shiny' take....you know which mic to reach for.
AMEN!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

AMEN ........2nd !!!!!!

the key to great vocals ?? a great singer....period.

I don´t think that Cee-Lo had sounded worse, if he´d used a Wunder CM12...and guess how everyone had been singing the praise of the wunder or C12´s again here....lol

bottom line...I love the Gnarls Barkley record, will I get a TLM103?? no !
will I get a CM12 sooner or later.....you bet !!!

roll your own, folks
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
What amazes me is the sound of that combo (Cee Lo, TLM103, Neve 33118, UA 1176) is so smooth fat and old skool... SO unlike my experience, when I was recorded: voice/acoustic gtr >>> TLM103 into a Drawner 1960.

Harsh

just goes to prove once and for all it really is the sum of the parts that counts.
Ty Ford from r.a.p. has been saying this for years. Sum of all parts is a good phrase.

To that point, the 1960 is not really regarded for its preamps. Fletcher, initiator of the 1968/9, has been particularly vocal about them.

Another poster pointed out that the TLM103 enjoys a bit of space between it and the singer.

This mic certainly is sensitive to technique / distance.

Cheers,
David
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Another poster pointed out that the TLM103 enjoys a bit of space between it and the singer.
I totally agree. I generally prefer the that bit of space to be the distance between my vocal booth and my mic locker.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

The sloe reason I haven't dumped my 103 because every once in awhile it just works!
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
it really is just his voice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search